Re: [NTB] Note tab light problem

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
      Hi dosferatu_pjl,

      The problem you are seeing is a Windows problem, not NoteTab.
      Try not opening and closing a lot of programs. You might need to
      cut back on animated things like cursors, windows, and also
      windows viewed as web pages.

      Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
      Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
      storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
      resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
      space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
      happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
      showing no icons.

      Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
      more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
      Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
      RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
      occupy the third type of memory.

      Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
      of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

      A large Undo limit size. "Large Undo Limit" is dependant on how
      many documents you open, not necessarily the limit you have
      NoteTab configured for in View | Options | Advanced. It should
      rarely be a problem though if you open less than 50 documents at
      a time.

      A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take up
      extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle. Tools
      on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned handles as
      do the document tabs.

      Display problems is usually the first visible sign of being low
      on the resources it takes to paint the different objects in a
      window. Sometimes, a better video card with more memory can help
      or better/the latest drivers. You might consider turning down
      your hardware acceleration a notch for awhile to see the effect
      it has.

      >I'm having a probelm with note tab light and win 98.
      >It works OK on my win 95 machine, but on my win 98 machine it
      >sometimes screws up the animated cursors, and all my icons change to
      >black and white (and sort of distorted), and all text I type in has
      >apostrophes on top of each letter.
      >My video board is a voodoo 3.
      >Any suggestions?

    • dosferatu_pjl
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
        --- In notetab@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:

        > A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take up
        > extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle. Tools
        > on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned handles as
        > do the document tabs.

        How do you reduce the number of libraries displayed?
        I can either show/no show it, but there's no option of not list a
        library on the bar.

        pjl
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
          Hi pjl,

          >> A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take
          >> up extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle.
          >> Tools on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned
          >> handles as do the document tabs.
          >
          >How do you reduce the number of libraries displayed? I can either
          >show/no show it, but there's no option of not list a library on
          >the bar.

          If you only have a row showing, then it should not be a problem,
          but will add to the overall Windows resources for displaying
          options. You can go to go to Windows Explorer (or My Computer)
          to the NoteTab Libraries folder. Right click over the Libraries
          after selecting that you want to take off the Libraries bar and
          choose Hidden. I have a Clip to add to a Library and a default
          Clipbar (for registered users) that makes it fairly easy to do
          the task. It is very basic so it is not complicated to use. Go
          to my Libraries page and get the Library Toggle Library from the
          link below. You can also get The Librarian which is great for
          people that use large amounts of Libraries or loads and unloads
          certain groups of Libraries.

          <http://www.mts.net/~rainec/>http://www.mts.net/~rainec<http://www.mts.net/~rainec/>/

          Please do not post Clips of Clip questions to the NoteTab Basic
          list (this one), but rather to the Clips list. Please see my
          signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

          Happy Clip'n!

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options