Note tab light problem

  • dosferatu_pjl
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
      I'm having a probelm with note tab light and win 98.
      It works OK on my win 95 machine, but on my win 98 machine it
      sometimes screws up the animated cursors, and all my icons change to
      black and white (and sort of distorted), and all text I type in has
      apostrophes on top of each letter.
      My video board is a voodoo 3.
      Any suggestions?
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2002
        Hi dosferatu_pjl,

        The problem you are seeing is a Windows problem, not NoteTab.
        Try not opening and closing a lot of programs. You might need to
        cut back on animated things like cursors, windows, and also
        windows viewed as web pages.

        Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
        Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
        storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
        resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
        space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
        happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
        showing no icons.

        Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
        more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
        Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
        RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
        occupy the third type of memory.

        Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
        of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

        A large Undo limit size. "Large Undo Limit" is dependant on how
        many documents you open, not necessarily the limit you have
        NoteTab configured for in View | Options | Advanced. It should
        rarely be a problem though if you open less than 50 documents at
        a time.

        A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take up
        extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle. Tools
        on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned handles as
        do the document tabs.

        Display problems is usually the first visible sign of being low
        on the resources it takes to paint the different objects in a
        window. Sometimes, a better video card with more memory can help
        or better/the latest drivers. You might consider turning down
        your hardware acceleration a notch for awhile to see the effect
        it has.

        >I'm having a probelm with note tab light and win 98.
        >It works OK on my win 95 machine, but on my win 98 machine it
        >sometimes screws up the animated cursors, and all my icons change to
        >black and white (and sort of distorted), and all text I type in has
        >apostrophes on top of each letter.
        >My video board is a voodoo 3.
        >Any suggestions?

      • dosferatu_pjl
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
          --- In notetab@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:

          > A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take up
          > extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle. Tools
          > on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned handles as
          > do the document tabs.

          How do you reduce the number of libraries displayed?
          I can either show/no show it, but there's no option of not list a
          library on the bar.

          pjl
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2002
            Hi pjl,

            >> A large number of Libraries on the button bar would also take
            >> up extra resources. Each button requires a Windows handle.
            >> Tools on the Toolbar and the Clipbar also use the mentioned
            >> handles as do the document tabs.
            >
            >How do you reduce the number of libraries displayed? I can either
            >show/no show it, but there's no option of not list a library on
            >the bar.

            If you only have a row showing, then it should not be a problem,
            but will add to the overall Windows resources for displaying
            options. You can go to go to Windows Explorer (or My Computer)
            to the NoteTab Libraries folder. Right click over the Libraries
            after selecting that you want to take off the Libraries bar and
            choose Hidden. I have a Clip to add to a Library and a default
            Clipbar (for registered users) that makes it fairly easy to do
            the task. It is very basic so it is not complicated to use. Go
            to my Libraries page and get the Library Toggle Library from the
            link below. You can also get The Librarian which is great for
            people that use large amounts of Libraries or loads and unloads
            certain groups of Libraries.

            <http://www.mts.net/~rainec/>http://www.mts.net/~rainec<http://www.mts.net/~rainec/>/

            Please do not post Clips of Clip questions to the NoteTab Basic
            list (this one), but rather to the Clips list. Please see my
            signature line to subscribe to it. TIA

            Happy Clip'n!

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options