RegEx bug?

  • pbatchie
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
      Greetings,

      Do we have a bug? I was trying to do a Replacement in NTL 4.86c:

      Find: \n\n\n+
      Replace: \n\n
      [x] RegEx

      (I also tried Find: '\n\n(\n)+'. I take it the form '\n{3,}' is not supported.)

      It caught double blank lines, but not triple or greater.

      Additionally, Modify/Lines/Compress exhibits the same behavior. So I think there's a bug in the RegEx engine.

      Thanks much,
      Paul
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hi Paul,

        I'll send your post over to the NoteTab Next Release list where
        it needs to go for discussion, but the RegExp is a known issue
        already. The Compress Lines has always only striped one line out,
        whether it is a glitch or not, I do not know. FWIW, Find ^p^p
        and Replace with ^p doing a Replace All only does one pass
        through which is correct for NoteTab and other editors the way I
        understand it.

        >Do we have a bug? I was trying to do a Replacement in NTL 4.86c:
        >
        > Find: \n\n\n+
        > Replace: \n\n
        > [x] RegEx
        >
        >(I also tried Find: '\n\n(\n)+'. I take it the form '\n{3,}' is
        >not supported.)
        >
        >It caught double blank lines, but not triple or greater.
        >
        >Additionally, Modify/Lines/Compress exhibits the same behavior.
        >So I think there's a bug in the RegEx engine.

        Happy Test'n,
        Jody Adair

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • silvermoonwoman2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In notetab@y..., "pbatchie" <paulaol@o...> wrote:
          > Greetings,
          >
          > Do we have a bug? I was trying to do a Replacement in NTL 4.86c:
          >
          > Find: \n\n\n+
          > Replace: \n\n
          > [x] RegEx
          >
          > (I also tried Find: '\n\n(\n)+'. I take it the form '\n{3,}' is not
          supported.)

          > It caught double blank lines, but not triple or greater.
          >
          > Additionally, Modify/Lines/Compress exhibits the same behavior. So
          I think there's a bug in the RegEx engine.

          > Thanks much,
          > Paul

          If you are trying to get rid of all blank lines, try this:

          Find ^\n
          Replace (nothing)
          (x) regex

          Regards,