Re: [NTB] Updated NoteTab documentation (PDF, CHM, HLP)

  • Don Paul Beletsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
      Thanks for the new doc, Eric.

      It should be made clear that the new HTML Help file (*.chm) must be invoked
      standalone in the current version of NoteTab (normally, by double-clicking
      on the filename in Windows Explorer, if your associations are set up
      correctly, as they should be with all recent versions of Windows). I assume
      that you will change to invoke the new HTML Files from within NoteTab in the
      next version. True?

      I haven't been through the whole thing yet, of course, but in my initial
      experimentation with the new HTML Help, I checked out the links to the Clip
      Programming Guide, which does in fact invoke the Clipbook.chm file.
      However, it does not reload the contents pane, so there is no further
      tracking of where you are, as it would if you invoked Clipbook.chm directly.
      I haven't developed any HTML Help files directly myself yet, but it seems
      there should be a way to get the contents pane reloaded when you switch
      documents like that (I believe I've seen this behavior in Microsoft's HTML
      Help files).

      While I was in there, I checked out the page on "Using Perl, Gawk, and Other
      Scripts". Thank you for the clickable URL's (in the *.chm files only, it
      should be noted). I wanted to check out the Gawk interpreter so I click on
      that download link
      (ftp://oak.oakland.edu/pub/simtelnet/gnu/gnuish/gawk304x.zip), but it is
      broken (the Perl link is fine). I searched via Google and it seems the
      "official" place to get Windows binaries for GNU applications is the
      GnuWin32 Project on SourceForge.net - the Project Summary page
      (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/) will lead you to the download
      page. Apparently the current version of Gawk is now 3.1.0.

      I just thought I would pass these updates along.

      Don Paul

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
        Hi Don,

        >It should be made clear that the new HTML Help file (*.chm) must
        >be invoked standalone in the current version of NoteTab
        >(normally, by double-clicking on the filename in Windows
        >Explorer, if your associations are set up correctly, as they
        >should be with all recent versions of Windows). I assume that
        >you will change to invoke the new HTML Files from within NoteTab
        >in the next version. True?

        For now, anybody can use both .chm files (.hlp or HTML) from
        NoteTab's Help menu with a bit of manual work and if they are
        willing to give up a little bit (possibly). You cannot use the
        HTMLib or Color Wizard using this method. You can use this
        method to start any program or file that you would like. You
        only need to remember what they are called in the Help menu. You
        need two shortcuts made pointing towards whichever file(s) you
        want to open. (You have to use both items: HTMLib or Color
        Wizard for it to work.)

        The *names* of the shortcuts in the NoteTab's main folder need to
        be the following which are normally used for the HTMLib Reference
        Library and the Color Wizard.

        For HTML Help (item under the Help menu)
        HTMLib.exe

        For HTML Color Wizard (item under the Help menu)
        ColWiz.exe

        So, place all the files you want on the Help menu into say:

        ..\Documents | NoteTab Help\

        These are examples for the .chm files given that their location
        is as is above:

        1. In Documents | NoteTab Help right click over NoteTab.chm
        and choose Copy.
        2. Switch to NoteTab's main folder, right click in an empty area,
        and choose Paste Shortcut.
        3 Right click over the new shortcut, choose Rename, and
        enter: HTMLib.exe

        1. In Documents | NoteTab Help right click over Clipbook.chm
        and choose Copy.
        2. Switch to NoteTab's main folder, right click in an empty area,
        and choose Paste Shortcut.
        3 Right click over the new shortcut, choose Rename, and
        enter: ColWiz.exe

        You can put the files wherever you want if you are using the two
        HTML items, but the shortcut has to be in NoteTab's main folder.
        You might want to put them in..\Documents\NoteTab Help\ so you
        can keep them altogether. Simply copy the file from there and
        Create Shortcut in NoteTab's main folder.

        Additionally, for registered users, you can put whichever
        format(s) of Help you want on your default Clipbar or put a
        Wizard menu to choose which one you want to open for a change of
        scenery every now and then, ;)

        Unfortunately, those are the only two items we can use that I
        know of. I would gladly use ReadMe.txt and WhatsNew.txt for
        something else. ;)

      • John Cruickshank
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
          Jody,

          re:
          "The *names* of the shortcuts in the NoteTab's main folder need to
          be the following which are normally used for the HTMLib Reference
          Library and the Color Wizard."

          You lost me on this one. This the first mention of HTMLib and Color Wizard
          on this list.

          Are you referring to Stephen Le Hunte's HTMLib and the embedded Color Wizard
          in it?
          Are you saying that you can configure NoteTab Pro so that you can access
          both of these goodie from the Help Menu?
          I have HTMLib 4.0, but I see no sign of ColWiz.exe with it, is that
          available somewhere else separately or in another version of HTMLib? (I have
          the Pro CD, so maybe it's there eh?)

          (I have HTMLib kicking around the drive already, and really have it there on
          hand only for his version of handy little Color Wizard! - so if I could
          access one from NoteTab Help, it would be mighty fine)

          It's Plain to Sea, Love still prevails...JC

          The measure of a master is his success in bringing all men around to his
          opinion twenty years later. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

          John Cruickshank, Going Concerns Unlimited
          <<<Hobbit House>> Loveland CO
          _/V\_
          (o~o)
          ,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸oOOo~(_)~oOOo ,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
          Check out the "Sunny John" - a Solar Powered
          Moldering Toilet solution
          (and much more!)
          http://www.sunnyjohn.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
            Hi John,

            >Are you referring to Stephen Le Hunte's HTMLib and the embedded
            >Color Wizard in it?

            Yes, although I was giving an alternative to open other files or
            programs using those two items under the Help menu.

            > Are you saying that you can configure NoteTab Pro so that you
            > can access both of these goodie from the Help Menu?

            Yes. You can also use Tidy, CSE Validator, and Top Style from
            the Help menu. Clip Writer, another third party product that
            enhances NoteTab has its own Clipbar, I believe. ;) Look up
            Third Party Products for more information about them.

            >I have HTMLib 4.0, but I see no sign of ColWiz.exe with it, is
            >that available somewhere else separately or in another version of
            >HTMLib?

            I originally downloaded v3.0 of it, but I think both have it. At
            least when it was downloaded from his old site. I have
            instructions on how to use BK Colour Coder instead of ColWiz, so
            either way you can add which one (or a different one that you want.

            >(I have the Pro CD, so maybe it's there eh?)

            I will add that to the CD. I missed that one.

            >(I have HTMLib kicking around the drive already, and really have
            >it there on hand only for his version of handy little Color
            >Wizard! - so if I could access one from NoteTab Help, it would be
            >mighty fine)

            Yes, you can add only the Color Wizard if you want, but you need
            to at least make a dummy shortcut for the HTMLib so that the
            Color Wizard can be used. You will be able to access HTML Help
            and Color Wizard from NoteTab's Help menu after successfully
            installing them and restarting NoteTab.

            The *names* of the shortcuts in the NoteTab's main folder need to
            be the following which are normally used for the HTMLib Reference
            Library and the Color Wizard. These are *shortcuts*, not the
            file or program. In short, you put the file and program in a
            folder somewhere, perhaps under NoteTab and call it Third Party.
            (Change to your paths if necessary.)

            1. In C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Third Party right click over
            HTMLib.exe and choose Copy (Ctrl+C or Copy icon).
            2. Switch to your NoteTab main folder, right click in an empty
            area, and choose Paste Shortcut.
            3 Right click over the new shortcut, choose Rename, and
            enter: HTMLib.exe if needed.

            1. In C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Third Party right click over
            ColWiz.exe and choose Copy (Ctrl+C or Copy icon).
            2. Switch to NoteTab's main folder, right click in an empty area,
            and choose Paste Shortcut.
            3 Right click over the new shortcut, choose Rename, and
            enter: ColWiz.exe if needed.

            Make sure you name the new shortcuts that you created above now
            residing in *NoteTab's main* directory to HTMLib.exe and
            ColWiz.exe which follow, respectively.

            Name the shortcut for HTMLib: HTMLib.exe
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
            Target:
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Third Party\HTMLib.exe
            Open in:
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Third Party\

            Name of Color Wizard shortcut: ColWiz.exe
            ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
            Target:
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Third Party\ColWiz.exe
            Open in:
            C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\Third Party\

            Note: If you are using version 3 of the HTMLib which I suggest
            for old worn out machines like Win95 with 64MB RAM. Last time I
            downloaded it I found it at this location:

            Version 3:
            http://www.hooked.net/~tails/htmlib/

            Version 4:
            http://www.notetab.com/download.htm

            Please see my signature line to subscribe to the Off Topic list
            for discussion on the following. TIA

            You can go to http://www.noteTab.net/addons.htm and download BK
            Colour Coder to use with NoteTab. There are instructions on how
            to install it so that it shows up on your NoteTab Help menu.

            If you want to add other files or programs there, please
            reference my post last night:

            Re: [NTB] Updated NoteTab documentation (PDF, CHM, HLP)

            I haven't tried the Tidy HTML or Validate HTML code under the
            Tools menu, but they might work for other programs or files. If
            you do not use those programs, you could switch out if it can be
            done and then you would have two keyboard shortcuts to use. ;)

            This is from NoteTab's Help file under the Help menu:

            HTML Help
            NoteTab makes the popular "The HTML Reference Library" (by
            Stephen Le Hunte) available from the Help menu. If you have
            HTMLib version 3.0 or older, you can install the package in the
            same directory as NoteTab. Another method that works with all
            versions is to create a shortcut* to the HTMLib.exe file in the
            NoteTab directory. The highly recommended "HTML Reference
            Library" is available from:

            http://www.notetab.com/download.htm

            This menu command is only available once the "HTML Reference
            Library" is correctly set up.
            (* to create the shortcut: 1. open Explorer and select the HTMLib
            file; 2. press Ctrl+C to copy it to the Clipboard; 3. select the
            NoteTab directory and choose the command "paste Shortcut" from
            the Edit menu. The menu command will be displayed in NoteTab
            after you restart it.)

            HTMLib Color Wizard
            This command activates the "HTMLib Color Wizard" utility
            developed by Stephen Le Hunte. This menu command is only
            available once the "HTML Reference Library" is correctly set up
            (see above).

            Happy Topics,
            Jody

            The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          • paul
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
              hi eric,

              what was the authoring tool you used to construct these new versions?

              i've been looking at microsoft's "html help workshop" but i don't find it
              very user friendly.

              tia,

              paul

              > I've at last found a worthy Help authoring tool that has enabled me to
              make
              > some improvements to the NoteTab Help file and provide new document
              formats
              > (PDF and HTML Help). The new Help file is now split into two parts,
              > NoteTab.hlp which contains all information except Clip syntax, and
              > Clipbook.hlp which contains just the Clip syntax. All the Clip commands
              and
              > functions are now listed in the Clipbook.hlp index section. Another
              > improvement is that all the URLs are now clickable. The HTML Help file
              > contains the same information as the standard WinHelp file, which is
              > displayed in the newer format. The PDF file contains all the information
              > displayed in NoteTab.hlp; Clip syntax was not included.
              >
              > Please note that the current version of NoteTab has no links to the
              > Clipbook.hlp file, so some of the context sensitive Help items will show
              an
              > error message. However, the NoteTab.hlp file contains links to the
              > Clipbook.hlp file, so you can display Clip topics from the NoteTab Help
              file.

              > Here are the download URLs to the new resources. I hope you find them
              useful.

              > NoteTab PDF Documentation; size 321 KB:
              > http://www.notetab.com/ftp/notetabpdf.zip
              >
              > NoteTab HTML Help Documentation; size 460 KB:
              > http://www.notetab.com/ftp/notetabchm.zip
              >
              > NoteTab WinHelp Documentation; size 205 KB:
              > http://www.notetab.com/ftp/notetabhlp.zip
              >

              > Regards,
              > Eric G.V. Fookes
              > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
              > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/
            • hpaulissen
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
                --- In notetab@y..., "paul" <paul@b...> wrote:
                > hi eric,
                >
                > what was the authoring tool you used to construct these new
                versions?

                > i've been looking at microsoft's "html help workshop" but i don't
                find it
                > very user friendly.
                >
                > tia,
                >
                > paul

                In notetab.pdf Eric mentions EC software...

                http://www.ec-software.com/
              • paul
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2002
                  > > what was the authoring tool you used to construct these new
                  > versions?
                  > >
                  > > i've been looking at microsoft's "html help workshop" but i don't
                  > find it
                  > > very user friendly.
                  > >
                  > > tia,
                  > >
                  > > paul
                  > >

                  > In notetab.pdf Eric mentions EC software...
                  >
                  > http://www.ec-software.com/

                  looks the biz!

                  thanx.