Note Tab open and save

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2002
      Thank you for the advice so far.

      I have repaired Internet Explorer and run Scandisk, I even reinstalled NoteTab
      4.86c and still, after a time, the open, new and save do not work, whether by icon
      or menu. Sometimes the open fails but others work. Restoration comes by
      clicking the icon in the Windows taskbar, for a time, allowing me to open another
      file. In view, options, general I unchecked Check changes on activate, which
      seemed to work, until a little later nothing would open again. I've never had this
      before, and I'm completely baffled.

      Adrian Worsfold

      http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2002
        Hi Adrian,

        I still thing that DECOM95.exe is what you need to do, not the
        one from the Win95 CD install, but the latest from MS for Win95.
        If you are using IE5/6, that should take care of it, but I would
        reinstall the browser instead of trying to repair. Personally, I
        would remove both IE and NTB starting afresh if I could not find
        a current DECOM95, or if the single DECOM95 did not fix the
        problem.

        When Win95 was the latest MS release we had tons of eMail on the
        issue that you are describing. I think IE4 was the current
        browser out at that time.

        >Thank you for the advice so far.
        >
        >I have repaired Internet Explorer and run Scandisk, I even
        >reinstalled NoteTab 4.86c and still, after a time, the open, new
        >and save do not work, whether by icon or menu. Sometimes the open
        >fails but others work. Restoration comes by clicking the icon in
        >the Windows taskbar, for a time, allowing me to open another
        >file. In view, options, general I unchecked Check changes on
        >activate, which seemed to work, until a little later nothing
        >would open again. I've never had this before, and I'm completely
        >baffled.

      • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2002
          I'm happy to move this next time to of topic because you who've replied tell me
          that it's a bug in Windows 95. It needs decom... Uninstall IE5 and Note Tab, then
          restore them.

          I removed NoteTab. I uninstalled IE 5.5 and reinstalled it, and I looked for
          decom95 but it was not on my system. So I then went back to the CD that
          installed it and found dcom95.exe sitting there anyway. So I clicked on that and it
          dumped allsorts in some direction. Then I reinstalled NoteTab and immediately
          after it first reopened a file (I put back the .ini) it failed to open another file or save
          a new file almost immediately. The second time it seemed alright, though it has
          gone at times for some distance and just as I need another file it fails.

          The other point is that I cannot replicate this behaviour anywhere else, on any
          other program. But I shall run all the usual maintenance methods and mybe a
          few more too.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk