Re: [NTB] Note Tab open and save

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002
      Hi Adrian,

      Windows 95 has a bug in it that causes the problem you are
      experiencing. You need to install DECOM95. This is a piece from
      an old post I sent. I did not read it and do not know if the
      links are good, but I do know it has to do with the problem.

      I would image installing the latest IE would fix the problem, but
      not sure. I think DECOM95 is installed with IE. (I know IE5
      does.)

      >After some use, the open dialogue, menu or icon, fails to open
      >anything, and although I can create a new area for writing in, it
      >won't save. This includes after a restart.

      Choose Windows 95 and Windows 95 in both fields searching by Product:
      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp

      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?PR=CHS&FR=0&M=S&

      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=12742
      English Update, try replacing the EN-US with the German pages ;)
      Or change the pages to your country when first starting?
      http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/whitepap/1/W95/EN-US/Kernel.exe

      Thanks for the info Harvey. Sometimes the updates MS used on the
      Win95 would not do anything if it already saw a current or newer
      on the drive though and I suspect doing it through the online is
      an automatic type thing. WinMag has the same kind of Active Update
      Center thing.

      You might get the Kernal PowerToys and/or regular PowerToys. One
      of them lets you read .cab files off a CD if you do not already
      have a means. I think WinZip supports it now. Anyway, I don't
      know the cabs, but since a reformat seems to fix the problem,
      then that would indicate the files on the CD should fix it if you
      can get the right files. I don't think DECOM95 (which is the
      main one you want) is on the 95 CD. In fact, read this from
      WinMag on CAB files:

      http://www.winmag.com/windows/win95/tips.htm

    • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2002
        Thank you for the advice so far.

        I have repaired Internet Explorer and run Scandisk, I even reinstalled NoteTab
        4.86c and still, after a time, the open, new and save do not work, whether by icon
        or menu. Sometimes the open fails but others work. Restoration comes by
        clicking the icon in the Windows taskbar, for a time, allowing me to open another
        file. In view, options, general I unchecked Check changes on activate, which
        seemed to work, until a little later nothing would open again. I've never had this
        before, and I'm completely baffled.

        Adrian Worsfold

        http://www.pluralist.co.uk
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2002
          Hi Adrian,

          I still thing that DECOM95.exe is what you need to do, not the
          one from the Win95 CD install, but the latest from MS for Win95.
          If you are using IE5/6, that should take care of it, but I would
          reinstall the browser instead of trying to repair. Personally, I
          would remove both IE and NTB starting afresh if I could not find
          a current DECOM95, or if the single DECOM95 did not fix the
          problem.

          When Win95 was the latest MS release we had tons of eMail on the
          issue that you are describing. I think IE4 was the current
          browser out at that time.

          >Thank you for the advice so far.
          >
          >I have repaired Internet Explorer and run Scandisk, I even
          >reinstalled NoteTab 4.86c and still, after a time, the open, new
          >and save do not work, whether by icon or menu. Sometimes the open
          >fails but others work. Restoration comes by clicking the icon in
          >the Windows taskbar, for a time, allowing me to open another
          >file. In view, options, general I unchecked Check changes on
          >activate, which seemed to work, until a little later nothing
          >would open again. I've never had this before, and I'm completely
          >baffled.

        • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2002
            I'm happy to move this next time to of topic because you who've replied tell me
            that it's a bug in Windows 95. It needs decom... Uninstall IE5 and Note Tab, then
            restore them.

            I removed NoteTab. I uninstalled IE 5.5 and reinstalled it, and I looked for
            decom95 but it was not on my system. So I then went back to the CD that
            installed it and found dcom95.exe sitting there anyway. So I clicked on that and it
            dumped allsorts in some direction. Then I reinstalled NoteTab and immediately
            after it first reopened a file (I put back the .ini) it failed to open another file or save
            a new file almost immediately. The second time it seemed alright, though it has
            gone at times for some distance and just as I need another file it fails.

            The other point is that I cannot replicate this behaviour anywhere else, on any
            other program. But I shall run all the usual maintenance methods and mybe a
            few more too.

            Adrian Worsfold

            http://www.pluralist.co.uk