Replacing Notepad with NoteTab in Win2k

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6 8:01 AM
      I know we've gone over this before but in searching back in my email, I
      found this as the resolution (See below)... Sounds great, but I do not have
      a dllcache on my system....

      So... now what?

      I have the option to replace, and am using V4.86c of Note Tab... When I
      select the option, use File/Exit to exit NoteTab, open it right back up and
      I have the option to replace MS Notepad again....

      What am *I* doing wrong, since everything I do is wrong these days, its got
      to be me....

      Thanks in advance....

      Laurie

      ===================================
      >Actually right now the "Replace MS Notepad" won't stick, it will revert
      back

      >UNTIL you rename the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe file.
      >
      >After it is renamed you can REPLACE/RESTORE as you like, "Just like the
      >book says" :-)
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Jim
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6 10:25 AM
        Laurie,

        At 10:01 AM 1/6/02 -0600, you wrote:
        >I know we've gone over this before but in searching back in my email, I
        >found this as the resolution (See below)... Sounds great, but I do not have
        >a dllcache on my system....

        Sure you do if you are running Win2K or XP and haven't intentionally
        removed it yourself.

        Note below that there are 2 things you must do to find it , not just the
        one that you have probably already done.

        The only real trick here is to find the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache
        directory which is a HIDDEN and PROTECTED "OPERATING SYSTEM" directory, and
        requires that you goto:
        MY COMPUTER>TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW

        AND SELECT
        "Show hidden files and folders"
        AND UNCHECK
        "Hide protected operating system files"

        This will allow you to find it with the Explorer (There are other ways to
        find it but this is a sure way)
        NOTE:
        Depending on how you installed Win2K and WinXP the path for the dllcache
        directory will vary.
        It will be either
        C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache
        OR
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

        If you have about 10 minutes to spare and are interested, goto:
        http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/so_projects/so3/so3.asp?fr=1
        for a pretty good audio video presentation on the WFP.

        Regards,

        Jim

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6 1:57 PM
          Hi All,

          In NoteTab's Help menu is an option to "REPLACE Notepad WITH NOTETAB" many
          users understand this option and use it.

          Many don't or are given "helpful alternative methods" to use which
          invariably end up with essentially the same thread being repeated every
          couple of months or so which tries to help someone undo a mess they have
          gotten themselves into.

          The following is an excerpt from a document called "All about Replacing
          Notepad" which can be downloaded at:

          http://jimbow.com/all_about_replacing_notepad.zip

          This updated document also explains the Why's, How's and Where's of
          accomplishing this in ALL versions of Windows.

          <SNIP>

          WHY DO I WANT TO REPLACE Notepad WITH NOTETAB?
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

          Notepad is the default editor for Windows and is associated to all of the
          standard plain text file extensions and is as well the default editor for
          the Windows Internet Explorer Browser.

          Also, it is often desired to shell out of a third party application into a
          text editor. These applications usually either shell out to Notepad
          directly, or to the Windows default editor. (Some offer the option of
          shelling out to their own editor, Notepad, or "Other", and if "Other" is
          selected, it usually requires that the editor be placed in the same
          directory as the application.)

          In the NOTETAB Help Menu is the Option to "REPLACE Notepad WITH NOTETAB".
          Simply by invoking this option, ALL calls for Notepad will cause NOTETAB to
          be launched instead.

          By simply letting windows and all of our applications THINK THAT THEY ARE
          STILL USING Notepad.exe, YET have them actually launch NOTETAB instead,
          then we can bypass all of the above association and registry problems and
          let windows and all of our applications use WHAT THEY THINK IS Notepad.exe
          as their default editor and THEY WILL BE HAPPY, and we will be able to work
          in NOTETAB AND WE WILL BE HAPPY.

          Any NEW ASSOCIATIONS we want to make can be associated to Notepad.exe and
          WE NEVER HAVE TO WORRY.

          If we decide for some reason that we want to use Notepad.exe, we can from
          the NOTETAB Help menu simply reverse the above using the "RESTORE Notepad"
          and revert back to Notepad as the real default editor.

          If you want NOTETAB to be your default editor for Windows, and elect
          instead to make changes to the registry and in your application's
          configuration files to accomplish this, then you have to find every
          instance in the registry and in your application's configuration files
          where Notepad is called and change it to NOTETAB. This is a very time
          consuming task and if not done properly can lead to many undesired results.
          It is also equally difficult to reverse the process.

          </SNIP>

          and, YOU might just be the one starting the same old thread again in the
          next couple of months.

          Save yourself (and the group) the grief and learn about and use this neat
          feature of NoteTab - you won't regret it.

          Regards,

          Jim
        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6 2:33 PM
            Once again, Mr. Hall........you have rescued me :) I had the hidden files
            selected to show but did not realize the WIndows Protected Files had an
            option to hide as well... yes, I do have a dllcache directory and I renamed
            notepad.exe to notepad1.exe. Then I used the Help menu function to "Replace
            Notepad with NoteTab" and it worked. Next time I invoked the program, I got
            the prompt to insert the Windows 2k CD to put the file back as it should....
            selected CANCEL and it then gave me the prompt to accept the replacement...

            Thanks Jim ... I appreciate the assistance once again and I'm sure more
            often :)

            Laurie