re Alt D M

  • bryllars@concentric.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
      There is a command

      Alt D M
      I have completely forgotten what the reformatting it does is called.

      When I paste text in from the Windows clipboard sometimes using this
      command gives me nice paragraphs and sometimes it gives me chopped
      uneven lines.
      Since I don't understand exactly what it does I don't know how to work around
      it. There is no way that I have found to know ahead of time what it will do with any
      given paste in.

      This is particularly difficult when I have to use it on an added paragraph and
      it then proceeds to mess up the work done on the whole file
      - the good paragraphs and the ones I have had to reformat by hand.

      I have looked up format and reformat and Alt D in the help - but
      have found nothing useful. I can't even remember how I found the command in the
      first place.

      Lastly - is there some way to set the options or preferences or whatever
      so that it carries out the command automatically on pasted material
      (particularly if could reformat in a uniform way).
      And is there another and or better way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

      I copy and paste articles of several pages from the internet and need to have
      them fairly neatly formatted to readable length lines.

      So
      1. What is the Alt D M command called?
      2. How can the reformatting it does be made not to give rigid uneven lines?
      3. What other processes/commands can work in conjunction with Alt D M
      to give a uniform result to pasted in text?
      4. How can the process be made a default?

      Thanks

      Bryllars@...
    • Christopher J. Whyte
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
        Greetings and Salutations From The WhyteHouse:
        I am amazed by your statement!!! Do you have a dictionary? Do you know what multiple means? and NoteTab? I didn't know
        that these words were techies(sic) only words. Under options it says "allow multiple instances" and then in the help
        files (one place) it says:

        "Allow Multiple Instances: Set this option if you want to allow multiple instances of the editor in memory."

        Is this too techie(sic) for you 'all to grasp?, if it is I am in the wrong group! I was trying to point out that the
        first place to look was in the help files, and I think NoteTab's help files are quite good.

        God Bless,
        The President
        Of The WhyteHouse
        AKA DimNull

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
          Hi Bryllars,

          >There is a command
          >
          > Alt D M

          No there's not. :-)

          >When I paste text in from the Windows clipboard sometimes using
          >this command gives me nice paragraphs and sometimes it gives me
          >chopped uneven lines.

          I think you might be thinking of Reformat Lines under the Modify
          | Lines menu. I suspect that you are giving it a right margin
          that is longer than your document edit window's width. That can
          indeed give you a long/short line effect. The reason is when you
          use the Reformat tool it completely strips all the hard line
          breaks from the paragraphs and then splits each line at the
          column that you specify in the dialog box. So, if your document
          edit window is at about 70 characters wide *and* you have word
          wrap *on* and you split the lines at 80 characters the line will
          *word wrap* at about 70 columns leaving about 10 characters
          wrapped to the next line. The reason only 10 or so characters
          will be there is because at about 80 characters NoteTab put the
          hard line break in. Press Ctrl+W and you will see the short
          lines wrap up to the longer ones above. I used "about at" so
          many characters, because it depends on where a whole word falls
          on how close it will be split, up to 80 columns above.

          One of the disadvantages of the Reformat Tool is the long/short
          line effect especially when distributing your work elsewhere
          because you do not know what settings the end user will have set.
          Another is, NoteTab will join *all* the lines together in one
          paragraph that do not have a blank line following them. So, if
          you have a list of items that are numbered or the like one line
          after each other, they will all be joined and then split at where
          you specified. You need to select different sections of the
          document at a time when you run across sections like that.

          There is also Wrap to Column under the Document Properties menu.
          If the lines are not joined before you use it, you can also get a
          long/short line effect. Let's say the line are already hard
          wrapped at 78 and then you set column wrap to 70 you will end up
          with 70 & 8 character lines, or in the neighborhood thereof. You
          want to use Join Lines first if you are in that situation. On a
          side note, if you wrap to say column 78 and then open it in
          another editor or program the text will not be wrapped at 78.
          Wrap to Column use a soft wrap like word wrap. If you want to
          split the lines at 78 in this case select all (Ctrl+A) the text
          and use the Split Lines tool. That will enter the hard line
          breaks needed to retain the column width you desire.

          >I have looked up format and reformat and Alt D in the help - but
          >have found nothing useful. I can't even remember how I found the
          >command in the first place.

          If you type in Reformat under the Find tab in Help and then click
          on it in the upper window you will see five items listed. Three
          of them will get you where you need to go if you are looking for
          the Reformat Lines tool.

          >Lastly - is there some way to set the options or preferences or
          >whatever so that it carries out the command automatically on
          >pasted material (particularly if could reformat in a uniform
          >way).

          Clips could do some of what you want. I have a Library called
          ReFormat with a number of Clips in it made just for reformatting
          text. When my server gets back up try my Libraries page. See my
          sigline. It is one of my older Libraries, so some Clips might
          have better ways of doing it now. (You might be able to get it
          at NoteTab's Clipbook Repository.)

          I also have one called eForm'r which is a bit smaller and maybe
          not as overwhelming. I think I have it at my site as well. I do
          not know about notetab.com

          >And is there another and or better way to accomplish what I am
          >trying to do.
          >
          >I copy and paste articles of several pages from the internet and
          >need to have them fairly neatly formatted to readable length lines.

          Check out eForm'r.

          >So
          > 1. What is the Alt D M command called?

          Beats me. ;D Alt+D says it is under the Document menu and that
          one of the menu items has an underscore under the M. There's
          really not anything under the Document menu that deals with
          Modifying text. ;) Practically all, if not all of the tools that
          will change text are found under the Modify menu. The Lines
          Submenu has the type of formatting tools you are looking for.

        • bryllars@concentric.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
            Thanks for all the effort to Jody and Charles Raine
            and to others who may find this helpful - or not.

            The Note Tab I use is Standard Edition

            The Alt D M command is under the Document menu - Thankyou Jody.
            It it UPDATE COLUMN WRAP
            Having found this I can now figure out what it does.
            Sorry for my blindness.

            Bryllars

          • LaurieK
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
              Sorry for including the entire thread here but since I am walking in on the
              middle of the conversation, it was extremely helpful in getting a handle on
              how one thinks something is "techie" and the other is defending their reply.

              Bryllars, if you still do not understand the term "multiple Instances" what
              that refers to is allowing Note Tab to open up more than once. As it
              stands, Note Tab opens up once, when you open 'multiple documents' or more
              than one document, they all open with the same instance of the application,
              meaning the Note Tab program is open and any documents opened will open
              within that one window in various tabs.

              The "Multiple Instances" you are referring to means when this is chosen, the
              Note Tab program will open up itself in a new window each time you open a
              document, and will use more memory each time the application is open, rather
              than opening a documents within just one Window with tabs, it opens up the
              program each time. This can chew up a chunck of memory if you are opening
              the application each time rather than just a new tab within the first
              'instance'.

              I hope this helps to explain what "multiple instances" refers to. I know
              there are times this is handy, if you have more than one document you are
              comparing and want to have them all viewable at the same time rather than
              having to flip between tabs.

              Take care and Happy New Year Note Tabbers..... let's hope 2002 is much
              healthier, safer, kinder, gentler and prosperous for us all.....

              Laurie

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                Dear Laurie,

                Thankyou for writing what the pop-up Help should have said in the first place.
                Just to clarify - I was not the person looking for the info - I was just making a point
                about how to write Help files. Apparently computer people often have trouble about
                this and get very touchy when one tries to show them the way.
                The basic pinciple is no tautologies in a Help description
                a tautology is something like a box is a box
                or a multiple instance is a multiple instance.
                On principle, Help writers should exclude such things when writing Help.
                This is not a specific criticism of NoteTab help - but of most computer helps -
                particularly Windows help.
                Another major problem in Help files is having the index point to terms in the menus
                without also having categories for what the user is trying to do - otherwise a FUNCTIONAL
                Help. Bill Gates is the worst about this.
                I would hope that when the Help for Notetab 5 is being written these principles will
                be observed.
                Many people, going by the responses I have received just assume the user knows
                what the words mean. Or that the answers to that question are available in some
                magical dictionary known only to the designers or other enthusiasts.
                It ain't so - as is made clear by the queries that have come into this list.

                You have shown the way - now we have to pare it down to pop-up size.
                Thanks again

                Bryllars

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                  Hi Bryllars,

                  >The Note Tab I use is Standard Edition

                  I forhet there are people that use Std/Light. ;)

                  >The Alt D M command is under the Document menu - Thankyou Jody.

                  You're welcome!-) It may be helpful to those that do not know to
                  write that as Alt+D M as is gives the hint of pressing both keys
                  together.

                  >It it UPDATE COLUMN WRAP
                  >Having found this I can now figure out what it does.

                  Pro does that in real time, but the bottom-line is still what I
                  mentioned about Wrap to Column - except for one major difference.
                  That is, Std/Light automatically adds the hard line break which
                  may be nice for some for personal preference reason. That will
                  certainly cause the long/short line effect that I mentioned under
                  wrap to column. My domains are still down,but you can get both
                  the Libraries I mentioned at he following links.

                  reFormat.zip; 02 Jul 00; 9KB Jody Adair
                  http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/reformat.zip
                  Text and eMail formatting tools. Many Clips and help on how to
                  make your own to fit your needs. Comes with Auto-Replace and a
                  simulated typewriter. Sounds included.

                  eForm'r.zip 4 KB Uploaded: 01/05/2002 Last updated: 12-07-2000
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/eForm%27r.zip
                  A NoteTab Library that has functional examples of Clips to
                  reformat text. Some eMail reformat tools are included also.

                  Happy Clip'n!

                  Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                • bryllars@concentric.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                    >Pro does that in real time, but the bottom-line is still what I
                    >mentioned about Wrap to Column - except for one major difference.
                    >That is, Std/Light automatically adds the hard line break which
                    >may be nice for some for personal preference reason. That will
                    >certainly cause the long/short line effect that I mentioned under
                    >wrap to column.

                    Thanks Jody.