Re: [NTB] Allow Multiple Instances

  • bryllars@concentric.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
      >here is what it says about Multiple instances:
      >
      >Multiple Instances
      >Allows multiple instances of NoteTab to run.

      Which points up the problem.
      Since the person looking for help is most likely puzzled by
      what "multiple instances" exactly means -
      what pops up is not help but more of the same.

      Only techies think that repeating a technical term explains it.
      If it was not understood the first time, then it needs to
      be explained or rephrased in a simple clear way when help is
      requested.

      This is not to target the program - it is merely a common fault of help
      files in the wake of Bill Gates (whose help files are unreadable).
      There are people in Australia who sometimes write good help
      files.
      The whole industry could learn.

      The principle in this case is don't repeat a technical term being
      queried in the answer in a help file or pop up.

      Bryllars

    • bryllars@concentric.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
        There is a command

        Alt D M
        I have completely forgotten what the reformatting it does is called.

        When I paste text in from the Windows clipboard sometimes using this
        command gives me nice paragraphs and sometimes it gives me chopped
        uneven lines.
        Since I don't understand exactly what it does I don't know how to work around
        it. There is no way that I have found to know ahead of time what it will do with any
        given paste in.

        This is particularly difficult when I have to use it on an added paragraph and
        it then proceeds to mess up the work done on the whole file
        - the good paragraphs and the ones I have had to reformat by hand.

        I have looked up format and reformat and Alt D in the help - but
        have found nothing useful. I can't even remember how I found the command in the
        first place.

        Lastly - is there some way to set the options or preferences or whatever
        so that it carries out the command automatically on pasted material
        (particularly if could reformat in a uniform way).
        And is there another and or better way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

        I copy and paste articles of several pages from the internet and need to have
        them fairly neatly formatted to readable length lines.

        So
        1. What is the Alt D M command called?
        2. How can the reformatting it does be made not to give rigid uneven lines?
        3. What other processes/commands can work in conjunction with Alt D M
        to give a uniform result to pasted in text?
        4. How can the process be made a default?

        Thanks

        Bryllars@...
      • Christopher J. Whyte
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
          Greetings and Salutations From The WhyteHouse:
          I am amazed by your statement!!! Do you have a dictionary? Do you know what multiple means? and NoteTab? I didn't know
          that these words were techies(sic) only words. Under options it says "allow multiple instances" and then in the help
          files (one place) it says:

          "Allow Multiple Instances: Set this option if you want to allow multiple instances of the editor in memory."

          Is this too techie(sic) for you 'all to grasp?, if it is I am in the wrong group! I was trying to point out that the
          first place to look was in the help files, and I think NoteTab's help files are quite good.

          God Bless,
          The President
          Of The WhyteHouse
          AKA DimNull

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
            Hi Bryllars,

            >There is a command
            >
            > Alt D M

            No there's not. :-)

            >When I paste text in from the Windows clipboard sometimes using
            >this command gives me nice paragraphs and sometimes it gives me
            >chopped uneven lines.

            I think you might be thinking of Reformat Lines under the Modify
            | Lines menu. I suspect that you are giving it a right margin
            that is longer than your document edit window's width. That can
            indeed give you a long/short line effect. The reason is when you
            use the Reformat tool it completely strips all the hard line
            breaks from the paragraphs and then splits each line at the
            column that you specify in the dialog box. So, if your document
            edit window is at about 70 characters wide *and* you have word
            wrap *on* and you split the lines at 80 characters the line will
            *word wrap* at about 70 columns leaving about 10 characters
            wrapped to the next line. The reason only 10 or so characters
            will be there is because at about 80 characters NoteTab put the
            hard line break in. Press Ctrl+W and you will see the short
            lines wrap up to the longer ones above. I used "about at" so
            many characters, because it depends on where a whole word falls
            on how close it will be split, up to 80 columns above.

            One of the disadvantages of the Reformat Tool is the long/short
            line effect especially when distributing your work elsewhere
            because you do not know what settings the end user will have set.
            Another is, NoteTab will join *all* the lines together in one
            paragraph that do not have a blank line following them. So, if
            you have a list of items that are numbered or the like one line
            after each other, they will all be joined and then split at where
            you specified. You need to select different sections of the
            document at a time when you run across sections like that.

            There is also Wrap to Column under the Document Properties menu.
            If the lines are not joined before you use it, you can also get a
            long/short line effect. Let's say the line are already hard
            wrapped at 78 and then you set column wrap to 70 you will end up
            with 70 & 8 character lines, or in the neighborhood thereof. You
            want to use Join Lines first if you are in that situation. On a
            side note, if you wrap to say column 78 and then open it in
            another editor or program the text will not be wrapped at 78.
            Wrap to Column use a soft wrap like word wrap. If you want to
            split the lines at 78 in this case select all (Ctrl+A) the text
            and use the Split Lines tool. That will enter the hard line
            breaks needed to retain the column width you desire.

            >I have looked up format and reformat and Alt D in the help - but
            >have found nothing useful. I can't even remember how I found the
            >command in the first place.

            If you type in Reformat under the Find tab in Help and then click
            on it in the upper window you will see five items listed. Three
            of them will get you where you need to go if you are looking for
            the Reformat Lines tool.

            >Lastly - is there some way to set the options or preferences or
            >whatever so that it carries out the command automatically on
            >pasted material (particularly if could reformat in a uniform
            >way).

            Clips could do some of what you want. I have a Library called
            ReFormat with a number of Clips in it made just for reformatting
            text. When my server gets back up try my Libraries page. See my
            sigline. It is one of my older Libraries, so some Clips might
            have better ways of doing it now. (You might be able to get it
            at NoteTab's Clipbook Repository.)

            I also have one called eForm'r which is a bit smaller and maybe
            not as overwhelming. I think I have it at my site as well. I do
            not know about notetab.com

            >And is there another and or better way to accomplish what I am
            >trying to do.
            >
            >I copy and paste articles of several pages from the internet and
            >need to have them fairly neatly formatted to readable length lines.

            Check out eForm'r.

            >So
            > 1. What is the Alt D M command called?

            Beats me. ;D Alt+D says it is under the Document menu and that
            one of the menu items has an underscore under the M. There's
            really not anything under the Document menu that deals with
            Modifying text. ;) Practically all, if not all of the tools that
            will change text are found under the Modify menu. The Lines
            Submenu has the type of formatting tools you are looking for.

          • bryllars@concentric.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
              Thanks for all the effort to Jody and Charles Raine
              and to others who may find this helpful - or not.

              The Note Tab I use is Standard Edition

              The Alt D M command is under the Document menu - Thankyou Jody.
              It it UPDATE COLUMN WRAP
              Having found this I can now figure out what it does.
              Sorry for my blindness.

              Bryllars

            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                Sorry for including the entire thread here but since I am walking in on the
                middle of the conversation, it was extremely helpful in getting a handle on
                how one thinks something is "techie" and the other is defending their reply.

                Bryllars, if you still do not understand the term "multiple Instances" what
                that refers to is allowing Note Tab to open up more than once. As it
                stands, Note Tab opens up once, when you open 'multiple documents' or more
                than one document, they all open with the same instance of the application,
                meaning the Note Tab program is open and any documents opened will open
                within that one window in various tabs.

                The "Multiple Instances" you are referring to means when this is chosen, the
                Note Tab program will open up itself in a new window each time you open a
                document, and will use more memory each time the application is open, rather
                than opening a documents within just one Window with tabs, it opens up the
                program each time. This can chew up a chunck of memory if you are opening
                the application each time rather than just a new tab within the first
                'instance'.

                I hope this helps to explain what "multiple instances" refers to. I know
                there are times this is handy, if you have more than one document you are
                comparing and want to have them all viewable at the same time rather than
                having to flip between tabs.

                Take care and Happy New Year Note Tabbers..... let's hope 2002 is much
                healthier, safer, kinder, gentler and prosperous for us all.....

                Laurie

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                  Dear Laurie,

                  Thankyou for writing what the pop-up Help should have said in the first place.
                  Just to clarify - I was not the person looking for the info - I was just making a point
                  about how to write Help files. Apparently computer people often have trouble about
                  this and get very touchy when one tries to show them the way.
                  The basic pinciple is no tautologies in a Help description
                  a tautology is something like a box is a box
                  or a multiple instance is a multiple instance.
                  On principle, Help writers should exclude such things when writing Help.
                  This is not a specific criticism of NoteTab help - but of most computer helps -
                  particularly Windows help.
                  Another major problem in Help files is having the index point to terms in the menus
                  without also having categories for what the user is trying to do - otherwise a FUNCTIONAL
                  Help. Bill Gates is the worst about this.
                  I would hope that when the Help for Notetab 5 is being written these principles will
                  be observed.
                  Many people, going by the responses I have received just assume the user knows
                  what the words mean. Or that the answers to that question are available in some
                  magical dictionary known only to the designers or other enthusiasts.
                  It ain't so - as is made clear by the queries that have come into this list.

                  You have shown the way - now we have to pare it down to pop-up size.
                  Thanks again

                  Bryllars

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                    Hi Bryllars,

                    >The Note Tab I use is Standard Edition

                    I forhet there are people that use Std/Light. ;)

                    >The Alt D M command is under the Document menu - Thankyou Jody.

                    You're welcome!-) It may be helpful to those that do not know to
                    write that as Alt+D M as is gives the hint of pressing both keys
                    together.

                    >It it UPDATE COLUMN WRAP
                    >Having found this I can now figure out what it does.

                    Pro does that in real time, but the bottom-line is still what I
                    mentioned about Wrap to Column - except for one major difference.
                    That is, Std/Light automatically adds the hard line break which
                    may be nice for some for personal preference reason. That will
                    certainly cause the long/short line effect that I mentioned under
                    wrap to column. My domains are still down,but you can get both
                    the Libraries I mentioned at he following links.

                    reFormat.zip; 02 Jul 00; 9KB Jody Adair
                    http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/reformat.zip
                    Text and eMail formatting tools. Many Clips and help on how to
                    make your own to fit your needs. Comes with Auto-Replace and a
                    simulated typewriter. Sounds included.

                    eForm'r.zip 4 KB Uploaded: 01/05/2002 Last updated: 12-07-2000
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/eForm%27r.zip
                    A NoteTab Library that has functional examples of Clips to
                    reformat text. Some eMail reformat tools are included also.

                    Happy Clip'n!

                    Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                  • bryllars@concentric.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                      >Pro does that in real time, but the bottom-line is still what I
                      >mentioned about Wrap to Column - except for one major difference.
                      >That is, Std/Light automatically adds the hard line break which
                      >may be nice for some for personal preference reason. That will
                      >certainly cause the long/short line effect that I mentioned under
                      >wrap to column.

                      Thanks Jody.