Re: [NTB] Allow Multiple Instances

  • clint
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
      This allows you to run multiple instances of Note Tab.. i.e. you can have to Note Tab apps running at the same time.

      HTH
      Clint

      From: rbrannon@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:10:08 -0800

      Ahoy NoteTabbers,
      What does the "Allow Multiple Instances" setting accomplish?

      Rick

    • Christopher J. Whyte
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
        Greetings and Salutations From The WhyteHouse:
        If you hold you cursor over the item in question then press F1, you will usually get the exact item in question popup in
        the help files. I did this and here is what it says about Multiple instances:

        Multiple Instances
        Allows multiple instances of NoteTab to run.

        God Bless,
        The President
        Of The WhyteHouse
        AKA DimNull

      • bryllars@concentric.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
          >here is what it says about Multiple instances:
          >
          >Multiple Instances
          >Allows multiple instances of NoteTab to run.

          Which points up the problem.
          Since the person looking for help is most likely puzzled by
          what "multiple instances" exactly means -
          what pops up is not help but more of the same.

          Only techies think that repeating a technical term explains it.
          If it was not understood the first time, then it needs to
          be explained or rephrased in a simple clear way when help is
          requested.

          This is not to target the program - it is merely a common fault of help
          files in the wake of Bill Gates (whose help files are unreadable).
          There are people in Australia who sometimes write good help
          files.
          The whole industry could learn.

          The principle in this case is don't repeat a technical term being
          queried in the answer in a help file or pop up.

          Bryllars

        • bryllars@concentric.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
            There is a command

            Alt D M
            I have completely forgotten what the reformatting it does is called.

            When I paste text in from the Windows clipboard sometimes using this
            command gives me nice paragraphs and sometimes it gives me chopped
            uneven lines.
            Since I don't understand exactly what it does I don't know how to work around
            it. There is no way that I have found to know ahead of time what it will do with any
            given paste in.

            This is particularly difficult when I have to use it on an added paragraph and
            it then proceeds to mess up the work done on the whole file
            - the good paragraphs and the ones I have had to reformat by hand.

            I have looked up format and reformat and Alt D in the help - but
            have found nothing useful. I can't even remember how I found the command in the
            first place.

            Lastly - is there some way to set the options or preferences or whatever
            so that it carries out the command automatically on pasted material
            (particularly if could reformat in a uniform way).
            And is there another and or better way to accomplish what I am trying to do.

            I copy and paste articles of several pages from the internet and need to have
            them fairly neatly formatted to readable length lines.

            So
            1. What is the Alt D M command called?
            2. How can the reformatting it does be made not to give rigid uneven lines?
            3. What other processes/commands can work in conjunction with Alt D M
            to give a uniform result to pasted in text?
            4. How can the process be made a default?

            Thanks

            Bryllars@...
          • Christopher J. Whyte
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
              Greetings and Salutations From The WhyteHouse:
              I am amazed by your statement!!! Do you have a dictionary? Do you know what multiple means? and NoteTab? I didn't know
              that these words were techies(sic) only words. Under options it says "allow multiple instances" and then in the help
              files (one place) it says:

              "Allow Multiple Instances: Set this option if you want to allow multiple instances of the editor in memory."

              Is this too techie(sic) for you 'all to grasp?, if it is I am in the wrong group! I was trying to point out that the
              first place to look was in the help files, and I think NoteTab's help files are quite good.

              God Bless,
              The President
              Of The WhyteHouse
              AKA DimNull

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
                Hi Bryllars,

                >There is a command
                >
                > Alt D M

                No there's not. :-)

                >When I paste text in from the Windows clipboard sometimes using
                >this command gives me nice paragraphs and sometimes it gives me
                >chopped uneven lines.

                I think you might be thinking of Reformat Lines under the Modify
                | Lines menu. I suspect that you are giving it a right margin
                that is longer than your document edit window's width. That can
                indeed give you a long/short line effect. The reason is when you
                use the Reformat tool it completely strips all the hard line
                breaks from the paragraphs and then splits each line at the
                column that you specify in the dialog box. So, if your document
                edit window is at about 70 characters wide *and* you have word
                wrap *on* and you split the lines at 80 characters the line will
                *word wrap* at about 70 columns leaving about 10 characters
                wrapped to the next line. The reason only 10 or so characters
                will be there is because at about 80 characters NoteTab put the
                hard line break in. Press Ctrl+W and you will see the short
                lines wrap up to the longer ones above. I used "about at" so
                many characters, because it depends on where a whole word falls
                on how close it will be split, up to 80 columns above.

                One of the disadvantages of the Reformat Tool is the long/short
                line effect especially when distributing your work elsewhere
                because you do not know what settings the end user will have set.
                Another is, NoteTab will join *all* the lines together in one
                paragraph that do not have a blank line following them. So, if
                you have a list of items that are numbered or the like one line
                after each other, they will all be joined and then split at where
                you specified. You need to select different sections of the
                document at a time when you run across sections like that.

                There is also Wrap to Column under the Document Properties menu.
                If the lines are not joined before you use it, you can also get a
                long/short line effect. Let's say the line are already hard
                wrapped at 78 and then you set column wrap to 70 you will end up
                with 70 & 8 character lines, or in the neighborhood thereof. You
                want to use Join Lines first if you are in that situation. On a
                side note, if you wrap to say column 78 and then open it in
                another editor or program the text will not be wrapped at 78.
                Wrap to Column use a soft wrap like word wrap. If you want to
                split the lines at 78 in this case select all (Ctrl+A) the text
                and use the Split Lines tool. That will enter the hard line
                breaks needed to retain the column width you desire.

                >I have looked up format and reformat and Alt D in the help - but
                >have found nothing useful. I can't even remember how I found the
                >command in the first place.

                If you type in Reformat under the Find tab in Help and then click
                on it in the upper window you will see five items listed. Three
                of them will get you where you need to go if you are looking for
                the Reformat Lines tool.

                >Lastly - is there some way to set the options or preferences or
                >whatever so that it carries out the command automatically on
                >pasted material (particularly if could reformat in a uniform
                >way).

                Clips could do some of what you want. I have a Library called
                ReFormat with a number of Clips in it made just for reformatting
                text. When my server gets back up try my Libraries page. See my
                sigline. It is one of my older Libraries, so some Clips might
                have better ways of doing it now. (You might be able to get it
                at NoteTab's Clipbook Repository.)

                I also have one called eForm'r which is a bit smaller and maybe
                not as overwhelming. I think I have it at my site as well. I do
                not know about notetab.com

                >And is there another and or better way to accomplish what I am
                >trying to do.
                >
                >I copy and paste articles of several pages from the internet and
                >need to have them fairly neatly formatted to readable length lines.

                Check out eForm'r.

                >So
                > 1. What is the Alt D M command called?

                Beats me. ;D Alt+D says it is under the Document menu and that
                one of the menu items has an underscore under the M. There's
                really not anything under the Document menu that deals with
                Modifying text. ;) Practically all, if not all of the tools that
                will change text are found under the Modify menu. The Lines
                Submenu has the type of formatting tools you are looking for.

              • bryllars@concentric.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                  Thanks for all the effort to Jody and Charles Raine
                  and to others who may find this helpful - or not.

                  The Note Tab I use is Standard Edition

                  The Alt D M command is under the Document menu - Thankyou Jody.
                  It it UPDATE COLUMN WRAP
                  Having found this I can now figure out what it does.
                  Sorry for my blindness.

                  Bryllars

                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                    Sorry for including the entire thread here but since I am walking in on the
                    middle of the conversation, it was extremely helpful in getting a handle on
                    how one thinks something is "techie" and the other is defending their reply.

                    Bryllars, if you still do not understand the term "multiple Instances" what
                    that refers to is allowing Note Tab to open up more than once. As it
                    stands, Note Tab opens up once, when you open 'multiple documents' or more
                    than one document, they all open with the same instance of the application,
                    meaning the Note Tab program is open and any documents opened will open
                    within that one window in various tabs.

                    The "Multiple Instances" you are referring to means when this is chosen, the
                    Note Tab program will open up itself in a new window each time you open a
                    document, and will use more memory each time the application is open, rather
                    than opening a documents within just one Window with tabs, it opens up the
                    program each time. This can chew up a chunck of memory if you are opening
                    the application each time rather than just a new tab within the first
                    'instance'.

                    I hope this helps to explain what "multiple instances" refers to. I know
                    there are times this is handy, if you have more than one document you are
                    comparing and want to have them all viewable at the same time rather than
                    having to flip between tabs.

                    Take care and Happy New Year Note Tabbers..... let's hope 2002 is much
                    healthier, safer, kinder, gentler and prosperous for us all.....

                    Laurie

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                      Dear Laurie,

                      Thankyou for writing what the pop-up Help should have said in the first place.
                      Just to clarify - I was not the person looking for the info - I was just making a point
                      about how to write Help files. Apparently computer people often have trouble about
                      this and get very touchy when one tries to show them the way.
                      The basic pinciple is no tautologies in a Help description
                      a tautology is something like a box is a box
                      or a multiple instance is a multiple instance.
                      On principle, Help writers should exclude such things when writing Help.
                      This is not a specific criticism of NoteTab help - but of most computer helps -
                      particularly Windows help.
                      Another major problem in Help files is having the index point to terms in the menus
                      without also having categories for what the user is trying to do - otherwise a FUNCTIONAL
                      Help. Bill Gates is the worst about this.
                      I would hope that when the Help for Notetab 5 is being written these principles will
                      be observed.
                      Many people, going by the responses I have received just assume the user knows
                      what the words mean. Or that the answers to that question are available in some
                      magical dictionary known only to the designers or other enthusiasts.
                      It ain't so - as is made clear by the queries that have come into this list.

                      You have shown the way - now we have to pare it down to pop-up size.
                      Thanks again

                      Bryllars

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                        Hi Bryllars,

                        >The Note Tab I use is Standard Edition

                        I forhet there are people that use Std/Light. ;)

                        >The Alt D M command is under the Document menu - Thankyou Jody.

                        You're welcome!-) It may be helpful to those that do not know to
                        write that as Alt+D M as is gives the hint of pressing both keys
                        together.

                        >It it UPDATE COLUMN WRAP
                        >Having found this I can now figure out what it does.

                        Pro does that in real time, but the bottom-line is still what I
                        mentioned about Wrap to Column - except for one major difference.
                        That is, Std/Light automatically adds the hard line break which
                        may be nice for some for personal preference reason. That will
                        certainly cause the long/short line effect that I mentioned under
                        wrap to column. My domains are still down,but you can get both
                        the Libraries I mentioned at he following links.

                        reFormat.zip; 02 Jul 00; 9KB Jody Adair
                        http://www.notetab.com/clipbooks/reformat.zip
                        Text and eMail formatting tools. Many Clips and help on how to
                        make your own to fit your needs. Comes with Auto-Replace and a
                        simulated typewriter. Sounds included.

                        eForm'r.zip 4 KB Uploaded: 01/05/2002 Last updated: 12-07-2000
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/eForm%27r.zip
                        A NoteTab Library that has functional examples of Clips to
                        reformat text. Some eMail reformat tools are included also.

                        Happy Clip'n!

                        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                      • bryllars@concentric.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
                          >Pro does that in real time, but the bottom-line is still what I
                          >mentioned about Wrap to Column - except for one major difference.
                          >That is, Std/Light automatically adds the hard line break which
                          >may be nice for some for personal preference reason. That will
                          >certainly cause the long/short line effect that I mentioned under
                          >wrap to column.

                          Thanks Jody.