NoteTab's Sort Buttons

  • rbrannon@plix.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2001
      Ahoy NoteTabbers,
      I'm wondering how the "Sort" buttons go about their business of alphabetizing a mixed page of text, numbers, & *^%$#@?

      Rick

    • hpaulissen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2001
        Hi Rick,

        Here is a (similar) question and an answer from Eric about the sort
        ordering. I think the easiest is to try to type all characters on a
        separate line and see the results for them...

        >I tried to divide an alphabetical list into two alphabetized
        >subsections. My idea was to place a tilde (~) as the first character
        on
        >some of the lines. This, I thougnt, would cause all the lines
        beginning
        >with the tilde to sort to the bottom of the list; because, according
        >an ANSI character table I consulted, the tilde character (ANSI #152)
        >comes after the lower case "z" (ANSI #122).
        >
        >But instead, the lines beginning with the tilde end up sorted to the
        top
        >of the list.

        NoteTab uses a Windows function to determine sorting order of
        characters.
        Here's the explanation that Microsoft provides in its documentation
        about
        this feature:

        Typically, strings are compared using what is called a "word sort"
        technique. In a word sort, all punctuation marks and other
        nonalphanumeric
        characters, except for the hyphen and the apostrophe, come before any
        alphanumeric character. The hyphen and the apostrophe are treated
        differently than the other nonalphanumeric symbols, in order to
        ensure that
        words such as "coop" and "co-op" stay together within a sorted list.

        If the SORT_STRINGSORT flag is specified [NoteTab specifies this
        flag],
        strings are compared using what is called a "string sort" technique.
        In a
        string sort, the hyphen and apostrophe are treated just like any
        other
        nonalphanumeric symbols: they come before the alphanumeric symbols.

        Hope this helps.
        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi Rick,

          >Ahoy NoteTabbers,
          >I'm wondering how the "Sort" buttons go about their business of
          >alphabetizing a mixed page of text, numbers,

          Eric sent me this on the fly. Although it does not directly
          answer your question, the links may answer some other questions
          that may arise. The first link would not open for me, but the
          second did. It has to do with the Open and Save dialogs and
          editing the registry. Please post to the off topic list if you
          want to discuss the open and save dialogs, etc. Please see my
          signature line to signup for that list.

          http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q229070
          http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q233526

          >*^%$#@?

          I beg your pardon!!! Not on this list you don't. :-)

          Happy Topics,
          Jody

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List