NoteTab Pro & Notepad - Return character

  • edaroc
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2001
      I have started working with a group to maintain a website. They do
      not use NoteTab Pro, I do - relatively new user.

      I modified a number of files and uploaded them (using WS-FTP). When
      they, or myself, opened the files using Notepad the return characters
      were replaced with black boxes and the result was a single continuous
      text string.

      Does anyone know what the cause of the problem is and how I can
      resolve it?

      Ed A
      Rochester NY

      Additional note- test:
      In order to test my assumption that the source of the problem was
      coming from me I created a small file (4 short lines of text) using
      NoteTab. Opened it with Notepad. Looked OK, no "corruption". Uploaded
      the file and viewed it (on the host site) with Notepad. OK.
      Downloaded the file and viewed with Notepad. Still OK. Did a larger
      HTML file. Now the problem appeared when I viewed it on the host site
      with Notepad.
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2001
        Hi Ed.

        >I have started working with a group to maintain a website. They do
        >not use NoteTab Pro, I do - relatively new user.
        >
        >I modified a number of files and uploaded them (using WS-FTP). When
        >they, or myself, opened the files using Notepad the return characters
        >were replaced with black boxes and the result was a single continuous
        >text string.
        >
        >Does anyone know what the cause of the problem is and how I can
        >resolve it?

        Those black boxes have to do with an incompatibility between Windows/DOS
        and UNIX text formats, or so I'm told. NTB can save as UNIX so...
        Quick check shows that if a html document is saved in UNIX the black boxes
        occur when the source is viewed with Notepad, even locally.

        Take a look in "Options". Bet you have it set to UNIX!

        View |Options | Documents ---> Format | Save as

        Merry Christmas to all of you!
        Lotta
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi Lotta and Ed,

          To add to what Lotta posted, you can place your mouse pointer
          anywhere in one of the documents when opened in NoteTAB and look
          at the Statusbar at the bottom of the screen. It will display
          the format it is in. You can also right click over the document
          tabs and change the format after checking/changing to Lotta's
          suggestion, or was that a bet Lotta? :-) Ed, when you are
          posting please ensure you type NoteTab and/or Notepad correctly.
          It is sometimes hard to follow which program you are referring
          to.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
            Hi Ed and Others,

            Pre-guessing the next question that I forgot to mention is the
            difference in the two settings that Lotta and I mentioned. I
            hope the following is clear, because I'm brain dead and altered a
            PasteBack Clip for Fonts.

            There are two settings for document Save Format. One is in View
            | Options | Documents | Save-Format... It controls the font used
            for all new documents like when you click on the New Document
            icon on the Toolbar (Ctrl+N) and also documents you have not set
            the Save Format in. The second is off the document's tab content
            menu. It controls each document's settings, that is, the one you
            have focused in NoteTab and overrides the global settings in
            Options when used. The settings are stored in NoteTab's main
            folder in NoteTab.fpr (NotePro.fpr for Pro) and remember between
            NoteTab sessions. Document Properties, Fonts, etc. act in the
            same manner. If you would like to reset the file properties in
            all documents you can do that under the Advanced tab in Options.

            Wow, 4am and I have to get up about 7am. nite...

            >To add to what Lotta posted, you can place your mouse pointer
            >anywhere in one of the documents when opened in NoteTAB and look
            >at the Statusbar at the bottom of the screen. It will display
            >the format it is in. You can also right click over the document
            >tabs and change the format after checking/changing to Lotta's
            >suggestion, or was that a bet Lotta? :-) Ed, when you are
            >posting please ensure you type NoteTab and/or Notepad correctly.
            >It is sometimes hard to follow which program you are referring
            >to.
            >
            >>> I have started working with a group to maintain a website. They
            >>> do not use NoteTab Pro, I do - relatively new user.
            >>>
            >>> I modified a number of files and uploaded them (using WS-FTP).
            >>> When they, or myself, opened the files using Notepad the return
            >>> characters were replaced with black boxes and the result was a
            >>> single continuous text string.
            >>
            >> Those black boxes have to do with an incompatibility between
            >> Windows/DOS and UNIX text formats, or so I'm told. NTB can save
            >> as UNIX so... Quick check shows that if a html document is
            >> saved in UNIX the black boxes occur when the source is viewed
            >> with Notepad, even locally.

          • Carl Swann
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
              --- Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

              > Ed, when
              > you are
              > posting please ensure you type NoteTab and/or
              > Notepad correctly.

              Jody - on the Notetab "Testimonials" page, one of the
              commenters refers to "Notepad" altho he surely was
              talking about our beloved Notetab... should that be
              changed on the page in question??

              Happy New Year anyway!
              Carl

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2002
                Hi Carl and Others,

                >> Ed, when you are posting please ensure you type NoteTab and/or
                >> Notepad correctly.
                >
                >Jody - on the Notetab "Testimonials" page, one of the commenters
                >refers to "Notepad" altho he surely was talking about our beloved
                >Notetab... should that be changed on the page in question??

                Perhaps that should be a FAQ. Eric is aware of it and chose not
                to alter the original, so it remains as is. ;)

                >Happy New Year anyway!

                ...and also to you and everybody.