Re: [NTB] Low Resource Warning

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2001
      Hi Jim,

      > > At 03:30 06/12/01 +0000, bjlawrence@... wrote:
      > > >I am puzzled, though, that NoteTab doesn't detect and report or avoid
      > > >low resource conditions.
      > >
      > >And Eric replied:
      > > I don't think I have ever encountered a program that does that. Have you?
      >
      >Windows Explorer does.

      Are you sure? It's crashed on me under low resource situations.

      >I would submit that if NoteTab gave the following warning, customer support
      >queries would drop by 90% <G>

      Too true! Unfortunately, determining when resources become too low for
      reliable operation is very difficult. And it's not the same for each
      version of Windows.

      >WARNING! YOU ARE LOW ON SYSTEM RESOURCES!
      >Close this program and reboot immediately OR spend the next
      > week embarrassing your self by trying to figure out why your computer and
      >various programs
      > are not functioning properly.

      NoteTab will complain if there are not enough system resources. For
      example, it will pop up an error message (without crashing <g>) if you try
      to open the Options dialog box, or complex Clip wizard, and there's not
      enough resources to display it.

      >I know that some people dread having to reboot their computer but it is a
      >cure-all for about 90% of weird problems.

      Yes, that's true.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes