Re: [NTB] Re: Can't get NoteTab Directions

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
      Hi Dwight,

      Thanks Brian and others for your help so far. I copied the
      Off-Topic list. ;)

      >The File Associations worked out exactly as you said they should.
      >I will NOT reinstall Windows 98 as per your suggestion.

      If you get a window saying that the file type is not associated
      (can't find program) then browse till you get to
      C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe double click on it, and then click on OK.

      If the window does not come up similar to the above, go to
      Windows Explorer and click on View | Folder Options | File Types
      and scroll down the list till you get to HLP. Click on Edit and
      browse to C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe and double click, click Apply if
      it is highlighted, then OK. I do not have my 98 machine turned
      on so the above Apply and OK, (positive choice) might not be
      exactly right.
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
        Eric and Dwight,

        At 05:22 PM 12/6/01 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hi Dwight,
        >
        > >I tried your suggestion. The file 'notetab.hlp' will not open. When
        > >I click that folder, the following dialog box comes up:
        > >notetabpro is not a valid win32 application.
        >
        >Does Windows Explorer show a book icon with a question mark for the
        >NoteTab.Hlp file? I wonder is something is messed up with your file
        >associations for .hlp.

        Once again this is not a NoteTab problem. (As usual <G>)

        I just went through this with a clean install of Win2K.

        This problem belongs to MS.

        Win2k seems to have a problem with the winhlp.exe file - there are
        several - in fact there is a hidden one in c:\winnt\system32\ , as well
        as a non hidden one (weird) one of which is the one associated by
        Win2k - there is one in c:\winnt\ that works okay when I modify the
        association and use it.

        This is apparently a win2k problem since it won't run
        c:\winnt\system32\winhlp.hlp by association either without modifying
        the standard association.

        Try going to

        MY COMPUTER>TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>FILE TYPES select the HLP extension and go
        through the CHANGE dialog and select OTHER and redefine which winhlp.exe to
        use. Try using the one in c:\winnt.

        If you aren't using Win2K, go through the same exercise in the version you
        are using until you find a winhlp.exe that works.

        Regards,

        Jim
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
          Hi Dwight & All,

          Jim, Dwight is running a Win98 machine. I will send him step by
          step instructions private eMail and copy the Off-Topic list in a
          little while. We need to get these long machine dependent techie
          posts off the Basic list please. TIA

          >> If the window does not come up similar to the above, go to
          >> Windows Explorer and click on View | Folder Options | File Types
          >> and scroll...

          Happy Topics,
          Jody

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        • Dwight Davis
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
            > Thanks Brian and others for your help so far. I copied the
            > Off-Topic list. ;)
            >
            > >The File Associations worked out exactly as you said they should.
            > >I will NOT reinstall Windows 98 as per your suggestion.
            >
            > If you get a window saying that the file type is not associated
            > (can't find program) then browse till you get to
            > C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe double click on it, and then click on OK.

            You lost me here. Where do I get a window (as stated above)?

            > If the window does not come up similar to the above, go to
            > Windows Explorer and click on View | Folder Options | File Types
            > and scroll down the list till you get to HLP. Click on Edit and
            > browse to C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe and double click, click Apply if
            > it is highlighted, then OK. I do not have my 98 machine turned
            > on so the above Apply and OK, (positive choice) might not be
            > exactly right.

            I did as explained above. the only file in the list showed Help,
            but there was no HLP as you suggest, so could go no further.

            Dwight
            dave@...

          • Charles
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
              > I'd rather us all move this over to the OffTopic list or private
              > eMail since it is a very isolated problem. TIA See my sigline. ;)
              Usually, I feel you're being a little stiff with directing people to
              other lists. But this time, well, this topic has gotten way out of hand :P
              14msgs on this group in just like 2hrs - this is a phenomenal amount,
              considering I check my mail maybe 2ce a day ;) Yikes.
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                Hi Charles and Others, Book 1...

                Just kidding about the subject. ;) Just a couple thoughts and
                I'll let you all be. First, I am pretty easy to get along with
                as long as you do it my way. haha I'd like to say to Bryllars
                that I am a bit sorry for coming on too strong when all in all
                he/she has been helpful and mannered well on the lists and in
                private eMail. We all have our days. ;->

                If you do not have time to read this and fairly new to the
                list(s), please read your Welcome Letter and/or skip down to the
                line starting with ***.

                The main reason that I run a number of topics to other lists is
                so NoteTab newbies and the users that only use the very basic
                features have a list they can post on without getting flooded
                with eMail that flies wright over their head without passing go.
                There are all kinds of people on the Basic list including those
                at work (?) getting paid while they participate, even if only
                reading on the Basic list. (I like to weed them back into the
                work force eventually though with a good working basic knowledge
                of 'Tab. :-)

                We use to have everything on one list and had an extremely high
                subscribe/unsubscribe rate. The single list stayed around 225
                members for maybe two years. After starting the Advanced list
                (now Clips) the count doubled to 500 or so, perhaps in a few
                months. Over 2-3 years it has grown to just shy of 1000 members.
                I am not really into numbers, but rather quality. If the big
                numbers follow, so be it.

                What happens a lot of time is what you all just witnessed and
                that is a number of people posting some tech-talk stuff having
                nothing to do with NoteTab. Once some of the Basic stuff is
                posted by a member, then it should be mentioned by the member
                (hopefully;) that any more discussion should be brought to the
                such and such list. Believe me, it is best way to go. The way I
                figure it and have learned from many lists in about six years is
                to try to please the majority of users and secondly, the least
                moderation posts by me. Once a fire gets started on the lists it
                is hard to put it out,so I have learned to not waist much time in
                jumping in. This also helps newbies to see how and where to
                post...

                *** Topics that should be diverted to the other lists away from the
                Basic list [NTB] are:

                Posting Clips and discussion of Clips. A big no, no! Super
                big wet noodle across the eyeball for that one.
                Discussion about Regular Expressions (RegExp), Gawk, Perl, VB,
                CGI, HTML, XML, etc. (See Help | NoteTab's Glossary;)
                Problems with NoteTab when it is known or at least looks like it
                is not a NoteTab problem such as: Windows bugs, conflicts,
                hardware, and/or isolated to a computer or perhaps a few.
                We use the Off-Topic or the Next-Release lists for those.
                See, troubleshooting a bug is not the discussion of the *basic*
                use of NoteTab, especially if it is an isolated problem. You
                say Clip and they say right there in the first drawer of my
                desk. You say delimiter and they all put unsubscribe in the
                Subject line. ;)

                Some examples of the Basic use of NoteTab would be questions and
                answers like the following. Note that some of the questions
                could really go to a different list than the Basic. There is no
                problem to answer a quick question like, "How do I make my
                Outlines show up in my browser?" I surely do not have a problem
                with telling somebody on the Basic list to click on Modify |
                Document to HTML | No Character version, but would let the list
                members know to discuss it further to sign up for the NoteTab &
                HTML list giving the link and also provide some links to some
                easy references, tutorials, etc.

                What are Libraries and Clips?
                How do I make an Outline?
                How do I keep the files from opening every time I start NoteTab?
                Why do I only have a few fonts listed in the Trial version?
                Are upgrades for free?
                How do I clean up eMail messages?
                How do I save a file?
                How do I move a file?
                How do I save a file that has been saved but in a different location?
                How can I make my Outline file into an HTML file?
                How can I distribute my Outline files?
                Can I make the text different colors like in MS Word?
                How do I make a new document?
                What is an easy way to get started with HTML?

                There are short descriptions of the lists at the following link:
                http://www.notetab.net/html/maillists.htm Here they are:

                Subscribe
                The NoteTab Basic List
                NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The NoteTab Clips List
                ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The NoteTab ClipsClass List
                ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The NoteTab HTML List
                ntb-HTML-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The NoteTab Next Release List
                ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The Album Express List
                Album-Express-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The Mailbag Assistant List
                MailBag-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                The Fookes Software Next Release List
                FS-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                If you want to be on our notification list for Fookes Software
                updates, discount specials, and new products sign up for it at
                http://www.fookes.com in the lower left border area. You can
                unsubscribe an old address if you were already on our list.

                You can also sign up for a few of the lists mentioned above at:
                http://www.notetab.com/support.htm