Re: Double Space - was Re: [NTB] Digest Number 547 - Re What to look under - RS

  • bryllars@concentric.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
      This goes back to Nov 30 and Dec 1
      so I will reprint the dialogue
      and then make my reply comment

      At 10:38 AM 12/1/01 -0500, RS wrote:
      >Hi Bryllars,
      >
      > at 11/30/01 05:52 PM -0500 you (Bryllars) wrote:
      >> >Just use the Replace dialog.
      >> >
      >> >Find: ^p
      >> >Replace: ^p^p
      >>
      >>"JUST" is hardly the term
      >> You have to narrow in on the Replace Dialogue which is not obvious
      >> although logical
      >> then you have to know to type the character ^ not perform it
      >> and if you make the slightest error the whole thing blows up.
      >

      >> This is a special problem in accessing Notetab commands and resources.
      >> A special FUNCTIONAL guide and list needs to be written - so that
      >> ANY user
      >>can figure out where to go for ALL these functions.

      RS replied
      >Try opening the Replace dialog and pressing F1 to invoque the context
      >sensitive help. Eric has made a wonderful job documenting NoteTab. You'll
      >see everything is there.

      Bryllars NOW writes:

      The problem is not that it is not there somehow --
      But how would I have a clue that what I need is under the REPLACE dialogue
      unless I can browse or word search some kind of Help / Text file to FIND OUT.
      The "Wonderful Job" is good for nothing unless I can find it.
      All this help and command info and menu info should - I repeat -
      be copied into a text file than can be searched
      and organized into a FUNCTIONAL list

      As I said:
      A special FUNCTIONAL guide and list needs to be written - so that ANY user
      can figure out where to go for ALL these functions.

      A collected text file of what is already written is the minimum. Those of us who know
      how to DOS search (with ZTREEWin for instance - which is quicker than any Windows
      process) or using a slower Windows / Notetab Text search
      can take the responsibility ourselves to organize it.
      But we will miss functions we don't already know about.

      A FUNCTIONAL list would help.
      Too much of Notetab is hidden in cubby holes hidden within cubby holes.

      (Eric - please take note.)

      RS shows a complacency that all is OK that infests a fair amount of Notetab culture.

      Bryllars@...

      >As an afterthought on the double-spacing issue, I should have said:
      >
      >Split lines before, and then:
      > >Use the Replace dialog.
      > >
      > >Find: ^p
      > >Replace: ^p^p
      >

      >Regards,
      >
      >RS

    • Rick Friedline
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
        At 05:27 PM 12/4/01, bryllars@... wrote:

        >Bryllars NOW writes:
        >
        > The problem is not that it is not there somehow --
        > But how would I have a clue that what I need is under the REPLACE
        > dialogue
        >unless I can browse or word search some kind of Help / Text file to
        >FIND OUT.

        By reading through the documentation to get a feel for what the program
        can do. The same as any other software.

        >The "Wonderful Job" is good for nothing unless I can find it.
        >All this help and command info and menu info should - I repeat -
        >be copied into a text file than can be searched
        > and organized into a FUNCTIONAL list

        Bollocks! A FUNCTIONAL list as you describe would be impossible to
        write unless the writer had a crystal ball. You don't say what you
        would "search" for above ... I can't guess that search term
        successfully. So how can someone write to the unknown workings of every
        mind.

        So you came here, asked the question and told that what you needed was
        under the "Replace" option. Let's see, the Menu bar has Search and when
        you select Search low and behold you have a Replace option. Pretty
        damned intuitive if you ask me. Did you write to Microsoft and ask them
        to write a FUNCTIONAL list so you could find out where Search & Replace
        is?

        How much time have you spent with NoteTab Pro (I am assuming that you
        are using Pro since I can't believe anyone would be asking for the
        things you're asking for if they hadn't at least paid for the program)?
        Not enough is my guess.

        It isn't your questions, or your requests, that irritate me - it's your
        tone of entitlement and condescension that puts me off (maybe it
        doesn't bother anyone else; I won't presume to speak for anyone but
        myself.)

        >As I said:
        >A special FUNCTIONAL guide and list needs to be written - so that ANY
        >user
        >can figure out where to go for ALL these functions.

        Go for it. Copy the help file pages and compile them into one huge text
        document. I'll bet you still can't find what you're looking for since
        you don't seem to know exactly how to query it.

        So spend some time with the NTP documentation and special help files.
        Come and ask your questions here. But don't demand something more from
        someone who has provided a top-notch program and sells it for a
        whopping $20 - or gives it away free.

        Regards,
        Rick

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
          It is Rick Friedline's attitude that is holding up the computer industry and permits a
          Bill Gates to absorb everything like a mushroom.
          He says
          >So spend some time with the NTP documentation and special help files.
          >Come and ask your questions here. But don't demand something more from
          >someone who has provided a top-notch program and sells it for a
          >whopping $20 - or gives it away free.

          The point is not a question about the individual - but learning and laying out
          clearly for people who do not - or can no longer stand reading all the documentation
          and that means having almost to memorize it because one does not at the time know
          which functions one is going to need
          the essentials of the software that one can find on demand
          No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already written anyway,
          just poorly organized for the stranger.

          These are normal standards in any other field involving communication with the public
          but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.

          Bryllars

        • Rick Friedline
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
            Sir, you have quoted me out of context, ignored the main points of my
            argument, and lowered yourself to ad hominem argument.

            It is clear to me that your comments below simply prove my point.

            It is impolite to change subject lines unless the subject has indeed
            changed. It is also impolite to email a cc: of your post unless
            expressly invited to do so. You are NOT invited to do so.

            You are simply whining. Stop it!

            I have nothing further to add to this silly thread ...

            My apologies to the rest of the list.

            Rick

            At 10:39 PM 12/4/01, bryllars@... wrote:

            >It is Rick Friedline's attitude that is holding up the computer
            >industry and permits a
            >Bill Gates to absorb everything like a mushroom.
            >He says
            > >So spend some time with the NTP documentation and special help
            > files.
            > >Come and ask your questions here. But don't demand something more
            > from
            > >someone who has provided a top-notch program and sells it for a
            > >whopping $20 - or gives it away free.
            >
            >The point is not a question about the individual - but learning and
            >laying out
            >clearly for people who do not - or can no longer stand reading all the
            >documentation
            >and that means having almost to memorize it because one does not at
            >the time know
            >which functions one is going to need
            > the essentials of the software that one can find on demand
            > No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already
            > written anyway,
            >just poorly organized for the stranger.
            >
            > These are normal standards in any other field involving
            > communication with the public
            >but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.

          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
              Bryllars

              At 11:39 PM 12/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
              >No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already written
              >anyway,
              >just poorly organized for the stranger.
              >
              > These are normal standards in any other field involving
              > communication with the public
              >but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.

              It seems to me that you have a pretty good idea of what is needed.

              Since the majority of this documentation is written BY the list users FOR
              the list users, I for one would be happy to see you organize it in a manner
              you find suitable and distribute it to all of the rest of the users. I'm
              sure the new users would be most appreciative of your efforts.

              I would be happy to supply you with the dribs and drabs I've managed to
              accumulate if it would help you in your efforts, and I'm sure that there
              are many others on the list who would as well.

              Looking forward to seeing your first draft.

              Regards,

              Jim
            • Bryan Guignard
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                I missed the beginning of this thread, so forgive me if I'm missing the point.
                If I'm getting this right, then it appears there is a need for organizing all
                the NoteTab knowledge being produced into something more intuitive and
                accessible.

                If someone is willing to send me all the information, preferably as plain text
                then I would be quite happy to convert it all to PDF and index it. A well
                indexed PDF library has no equals. It's easily compressed so it remains small,
                searches are lightning fast even on slow systems, it's platform independent, and
                with tools like Acrobat or Gymnast tons of text documents are converted to PDF
                with a few mouse clicks.

                If you have something to send me please contact me before doing so to make sure
                I haven't received the same thing from someone else.

                My email is bryang@...

                Bryan Guignard

                Jim Hall wrote:

                > Bryllars
                >
                > At 11:39 PM 12/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
                > >No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already written
                > >anyway,
                > >just poorly organized for the stranger.
                > >
                > > These are normal standards in any other field involving
                > > communication with the public
                > >but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.
                >
                > It seems to me that you have a pretty good idea of what is needed.
                >
                > Since the majority of this documentation is written BY the list users FOR
                > the list users, I for one would be happy to see you organize it in a manner
                > you find suitable and distribute it to all of the rest of the users. I'm
                > sure the new users would be most appreciative of your efforts.
                >
                > I would be happy to supply you with the dribs and drabs I've managed to
                > accumulate if it would help you in your efforts, and I'm sure that there
                > are many others on the list who would as well.
                >
                > Looking forward to seeing your first draft.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Jim

              • Kenneth Leake
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                  This is probably starting to drift OT, but I'd argue that something which is the equal of a well indexed PDF file, is a well indexed Help file. Isn't this what we've got already? Maybe just the Index could do with an overhaul.

                  I've got to confess I find Notetab so easy to use that I don't refer to the Help file very often!

                  regards
                  Ken Leake

                  >>> bryang@... 05/12/01 15:25:31 >>>
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                    Let me be clearer - I have no objection to anything about Notetab that the programmers could
                    fix. (There are Windows problems with the way text files are handled)
                    Nor am I criticizing the help files per se.
                    There IS a difference between clarifying menus and explaining terms and commands
                    and organizing things under FUNCTION = what you want to do.
                    Make double space etc etc
                    In those terms it is sometimes hard to find what you need.
                    (This is not unique to Notetab) In the long run help files need to be organized
                    for funtions the users want to perform. Not for knowledgeable computer types
                    who know everything already. (Pardon the testiness but I've gotten some insulting
                    letters in reply to what seems a simple idea)

                    That's all
                    Bryllars

                    At 04:43 PM 12/5/01 +0000, you wrote:
                    >This is probably starting to drift OT, but I'd argue that something which is the equal of a well indexed PDF file, is a well indexed Help file. Isn't this what we've got already? Maybe just the Index could do with an overhaul.
                    >
                    >I've got to confess I find Notetab so easy to use that I don't refer to the Help file very often!
                    >
                    >regards
                    >Ken Leake

                    >... A well indexed PDF library has no equals. It's easily compressed so it remains small,
                    >searches are lightning fast even on slow systems, it's platform independent, and
                    >with tools like Acrobat or Gymnast tons of text documents are converted to PDF
                    >with a few mouse clicks.

                  • Eric G.V. Fookes
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                      Hello Bryllars,

                      >Let me be clearer - I have no objection to anything about Notetab that the
                      >programmers could
                      >fix. (There are Windows problems with the way text files are handled)
                      >Nor am I criticizing the help files per se.
                      >There IS a difference between clarifying menus and explaining terms and
                      >commands
                      > and organizing things under FUNCTION = what you want to do.
                      > Make double space etc etc
                      > In those terms it is sometimes hard to find what you need.
                      > (This is not unique to Notetab) In the long run help files need to
                      > be organized
                      >for funtions the users want to perform. Not for knowledgeable computer types
                      >who know everything already.

                      The problem is that there are an endless number of tasks you can perform
                      with NoteTab. And not one person is using NoteTab the same way or for the
                      same purposes. Of course, I admit the Help file is not perfect. I could
                      easily spend my whole time just improving the information but that is not
                      where my skills lie (to be honest, I really prefer programming <g>.) So we
                      have these great NoteTab discussion lists (thanks Jody) that give
                      NoteTabbers an opportunity to help each other. If you have a specific task
                      to perform and don't know how to go about it, then start a discussion on
                      one of the NoteTab lists. Most of the time you'll get the answers you need.

                      Regards,
                      Eric G.V. Fookes

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2001
                        Hi 'Tabbers,

                        There are links to different files for help with various parts of
                        NoteTab below my long rambling if anybody wants to just skip over
                        it and download.

                        Bryllars and others posting under the Subject "documentation and
                        FUNCTIONAL clarity" thank you for "toning your voice down" a bit
                        on this thread for it is really appreciated. I'm sorry about the
                        flames that you may have received off the list and on the list,
                        but I can understand why you did. It is sort of like somebody
                        telling your kid sister she is fat when you are standing there
                        with her if you know what I mean. Most this stuff is wasted time
                        anyway since Eric will be rewriting the Help file for v5. I
                        thought I'd put my 2 cents in now to help explain some things for
                        all reading.

                        I agree with just about everything said going your way and part
                        of what you posted. Jim Hall basically posted what I was going
                        to say along with reiterating some of the statement that the task
                        you want to achieve is simply impossible. I also include RS'
                        correct statement knowing that NoteTab's Help file is one of the
                        best I have ever seen. I actually reference it since it does
                        have useful information in it and it is well laid out (especially
                        when comparing it with other Help files). All that is contrary
                        to a Bill Gates attitude. You will not find many programmers
                        answering discussion list mail at all, let alone as much as Eric
                        does. Eric, some others, and myself know that the program Eric
                        uses to make the index with does not index a lot of words so
                        there are some keywords "missing" that should be indexed. Some,
                        or a fair amount of the Help file was edited by Ray Fitzgerald
                        and some other "old timers", many users corrections, and other
                        parts rewritten by users. Look at it this way, the more time
                        Eric spends doing something he does not like doing like the Help
                        file the more time he has to program. Most users would much
                        rather have factuality over documentation. We could do everything
                        you want and more and we will still have a great many unhappy
                        campers. You are basically asking for more of a tutorial than a
                        regular Help file. A searchable all text version is easy to get
                        like I think I have already mentioned on the other thread this
                        was on before you renamed it.

                        I mentioned the other day to get the RTF version and then save it
                        as TXT. You can search it with regular expressions (RegExp) and
                        perhaps a Clip that will do AND, OR, NOT (which I have) or even
                        use a neat tool for searching and learning with RegExp called
                        Ransack. I will post a Clip or two and give a link for the
                        freeware on the Clips list in a later post. (See link in my
                        sigline to get on the Clips list. You can sign up and set your
                        options to NoMail/Web or whatever they are calling it now-a-
                        days.)

                        NoteTab's Glossary
                        NoteTab Glossary, Edition 1.7
                        Last updated on 08-31-2001
                        Glossary.otl 85.41KB
                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/glossary.zip 35.17KB

                        Clipbar Help
                        Clipbar.html 28.96KB
                        http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm 28.76KB

                        Clipbar Outline
                        Same as above, but in Outline form
                        Clipbar.otl 17.80KB
                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/cbarotl.zip 5.28KB

                        ClipClass: last updated on 08-27-2001, 11:26am (Lesson 10)
                        Ongoing lessons for Clip building
                        ClipClass.clb 54.59KB
                        ClipClass.otl 134.26KB
                        Toolbar.txt 18.09KB
                        Program layout (focused on Clip writing - online)
                        http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/starting.htm
                        The following are in clipclass.zip
                        http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/cbarotl.zip 12.57KB
                        http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/tooltips.zip 3.42KB
                        http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip 305.46KB

                        Well done v4.86 full Help file in CHM format.
                        Need IE to use the file type, but much better
                        than HLP format: by Hugo <paulissen@...> 273.77KB
                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486chm.zip 260.78KB

                        I have the Help file in RTF format for printing. Actually, two
                        versions of it. The first is a complete version (help486lg.zip)
                        and the smaller one has all the information that is not needed for
                        its use like legal, ordering, acknowledgements, etc. deleted
                        (zip/help486sm.zip). You could delete the Clip information as
                        well. Then only print what you actually need saving probably over
                        100 sheets of paper and other text just getting in your way.
                        Here's the links in case you are interested and is available free
                        at this time:

                        Complete NoteTab Help file in RTF format:
                        Can be edited for printing
                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486lg.zip 129.00KB
                        Partial NoteTab Help file in RTF format
                        Ordering information, Legal, etc. omitted
                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486sm.zip 107.00KB

                        Complete NoteTab Help file in HTML format (Will update later)
                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/help483htm.zip 348.10KB

                        Searchable Clip Help from NoteTab's Help File
                        Must have Internet Explorer Installed
                        NTBhelp483.chm 177.09KB
                        http://www.notetab.net/zip/help483chm.zip 154.57KB

                        The latest PDF file I have is v4.84 done by Bryan. I will get
                        with him and see if he will update it for us. He is a very busy
                        and expensive man, so I for one greatly appreciate the time he
                        has been taking to do the Help file in PDF. So, if you can
                        afford $500.00-$1000.00 an hour for consulting fees on Adobe he
                        is your man indeed! Bryan Guignard <bryang@...>

                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2001
                          > This is probably starting to drift OT, but I'd argue that
                          > something which is the equal of a well indexed PDF file, is a
                          > well indexed Help file. Isn't this what we've got already? Maybe
                          > just the Index could do with an overhaul.

                          I've said this enough before but...

                          The only problem with the HELP file is that it's written like a book, not a
                          context sensitive, click-by-click help file. (But then I hate most of
                          those that I've seen - with Paint Shop Pro being one of the worst/best
                          example of its kind.)

                          If you read through the NOTETAB help file from start to end (Either get one
                          of the OTL format versions or insert the following lines in your WIN.INI:

                          [Windows Help]
                          SeqTopicKeys=1

                          and use the keys:
                          CTRL-HOME
                          CTRL-END
                          CTRL-RIGHTARROW
                          CTRL-LEFTARROW
                          to scroll through it) you will find that it's arranged as a very well
                          ordered, and complete, book.

                          The problem for most new users is either:

                          They were expecting to find that NOTETAB was a word processor, or that it's
                          terminology is strange. The only answer to the former is education and the
                          latter a good index using a lot of non-NOTETAB terms to help those not used
                          to it.

                          Maybe having the help file in HTMLHELP format rather than WINHELP format
                          would help?

                          Greg
                        • Stephen Riddle
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 11, 2001
                            Hi Guys,
                            When you first use a Help File (any Help file, not Just NoteTab's), you
                            get an option to make a detailed word list for searching.
                            I always try to do that, because the Table of Contents for any Help file
                            I've ever encountered just suggests where things are for me.
                            If, however I've not asked for a detailed database, I have no idea how
                            to make it detailed.
                            Good luck,
                            Stephen

                            > >> But how would I have a clue that what I need is under the REPLACE
                            > >> dialogue
                            > >>unless I can browse or word search some kind of Help / Text file to
                            > >>FIND OUT.

                          • hpaulissen
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 12, 2001
                              Stephen,

                              I do not know if this is true for all help-files but in NoteTab-help
                              you can go to the index-tab and hit the rebuild-button. Here you will
                              find the option to minimize database size/maximize search
                              capabilities/customize search capabilities...

                              HTH,

                              Hugo