Re: [NTB] Problem: insertion point out-of-sync with cursor position - WinME, 4.83/4.86

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
      Bill

      > After I have been editing an existing file for a while [typing,
      > inserting, moving the cursor with the arrow keys, deleting) the
      > position at which characters are inserted or deleted suddenly shifts
      > from the location indicated by the I-beam [insertion cursor] to a
      > point several lines down in the file.

      The same thing happens to me - but I'm pretty sure that it's just my finger
      hitting the control key when I meant to hit the shift key. Thank god for the
      unlimited ^Z-UNDO ^Y-REDO feature in Pro. Its REALLY a PITA when it happens
      in something like Delphi-Forums that don't support UNDO!

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
        --- In notetab@y..., "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:

        > Bill

        Brad, actually.

        > hitting the control key when I meant to hit the shift key.

        CTRL+arrow moves the insertion point.
        SHFT+arrow creates/modifies a selection.
        ALT+arrow doesn't affect the insertion cursor at all.

        No combination I've tested in NoteTab fails to work as expected in
        WinME (as they did on Win95). Besides, my fingers were never
        anywhere near those keys.

        (There are some programs [or controls] in which ALT+arrow moves the
        cursor on the screen without changing the state of the application
        [leading to situations very like what I am trying to describe] but
        AFAICT NoteTab is not intended to be one of them [and it didn't act
        that way on Win95].)

        BTW: when the problem occurs, the insertion cursor is always where
        it should be based on the keystrokes I've typed; with no warning, the
        changes start appearing at a screen position where the insertion
        cursor has not resided in the current session. I haven't seen any
        pattern to the number of lines/characters between the two locations
        other than the fact that the distance is never negative (that is,
        changes never appear between the insertion cursor and the beginning
        of the file).

        The next time it happens I will be sure to note the line:pos
        indicator to see whether it gives any clue as what is happening. I
        have already tried resizing the window (so that each line contains no
        more than 72 characters) and will try toggling word-wrap off.