Re: [NTB] Re: Can't get NoteTab Directions

  • David McIntosh
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 2, 2001
      Hi
      If you have got any programs running in the background close them down
      and see if that helps , you can also try closing down all but one
      clipbar , also you may need more RAM 64meg min. , What are you running
      win95/98.
      THANKYOU DAVE

      Dwight Davis wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I'm trying to be a new NoteTab Pro user. Downloaded the program for
      > trial, and went to the help files. Upon entering "help" I get the following
      > notice:
      >
      > Program requires more memory. Unload drivers or memory resident
      > programs that are using conventional memory, or increase the value for
      > minimum conventional memory in the program's memory property sheet.
      >
      > Can anyone help me understand what to do?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Dwight Davis
      > dave@...

    • Dwight Davis
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hi David,
        Thanks for your reply!
        I closed all background programs, also was advised to uninstall
        program, disable virus program, and reinstall. That didn't help.
        I'm running Windows 98, 192 megs of ram. Since I can't get into
        help files, I don't even know what a clipbar is, or how to close
        one down.
        Dwight

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
          Hi Dwight,

          >I closed all background programs, also was advised to uninstall
          >program, disable virus program, and reinstall. That didn't help.
          >I'm running Windows 98, 192 megs of ram. Since I can't get into
          >help files, I don't even know what a clipbar is, or how to close
          >one down.

          If you used the same ini file (NotePro.ini) found in NoteTab's
          main folder, close NoteTab (if you got that far) and delete the
          ini file. Well, delete it anyway. ;)

          I am wondering where you are typing "help" in at though? Can you
          let us know what steps you are taking to get to that point
          please? There is only one NoteTab.hlp file which is the Help
          file. It is in NoteTab's main folder. Perhaps you "enter" Help
          whereas I open Help? ;)

          > > > I'm trying to be a new NoteTab Pro user. Downloaded the
          > > > program for trial, and went to the help files. Upon entering
          > > > "help" I get the following notice:
          > > >
          > > > Program requires more memory. Unload drivers or memory
          > > > resident programs that are using conventional memory, or
          > > > increase the value for minimum conventional memory in the
          > > > program's memory property sheet.
          > > >
          > > > Can anyone help me understand what to do?

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
            If your concern at this point is low system resources, make sure of
            these things:

            1-->Check your system resources after windows initially boots. I mean,
            get to the desktop from a clean boot and leave it sit for a few seconds
            to allow everything to finish loading.

            2-->Right-Click "My Computer" and choose "Properties"

            3-->Go to the "Performance" tab at the top-right.

            4-->Observe system resources.

            If your system resources at boot are less than 85%, you need to free
            them. Starting Windows with less then that causes problems with any
            application.

            Want to get system resources back?

            If you are running Windows 98, go to Start-->Run and type in MSCONFIG

            Go to the STARTUP tab in the upper-right

            Look at what's starting. You don't need to start everything that
            Windows has listed there. I don't want to make this too long, but if
            you tell me what you have, I can guarantee I can tell you what you need
            and what you don't need loading when Windows starts.

            If you are interested in checking this out yourself, go to this web
            page:

            http://pacs-portal.hostinguk.com/startup_content.htm

            Download the full list of click the alphabetical links on the bottom of
            the page to see what they have listed and match it with what is starting
            up on your computer.

            Simply uncheck what you don't want to load at startup. If you need it
            back, check it and restart again.

            If you are running Windows 95, go to this site and download the Mike
            Lin's Startup Control Panel utility (Single Executable Version):

            http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

            This is free, as is the other site. Download the zip file, unzip it
            with WinZip from http://www.winzip.com (Shareware) and extract it to
            your desktop.

            It will look just like the MY COMPUTER icon. Open it (this program does
            not need to get installed and works on all versions of Windows) and
            peruse through the tabs. You can then uncheck what is starting just
            like through MSCONFIG.

            Uncheck items until it reaches 85% at system boot.

            If that does not work, please boot your PC into safe mode.

            To do this in Win98:

            Hold both Control keys down before the Windows splash screen comes up.
            Then choose option 3 for safe mode.

            To do this in Win95:

            Tap the F8 key about once per second before the Windows splash screen
            comes up and choose 3 from the menu.

            Then try running NoteTab and seeing if you generate the same error while
            doing exactly what you are doing with NoteTab in Normal mode.

            Tell me if the error still persists.

            Brian

              > >I'm trying to be a new NoteTab Pro user. Downloaded the program for
              > >trial, and went to the help files. Upon entering "help" I get the
              following
              > >notice:
              > >
              > >Program requires more memory. Unload drivers or memory resident
              > >programs that are using conventional memory, or increase the value for
              > >minimum conventional memory in the program's memory property sheet.
              > >
              > >Can anyone help me understand what to do?
              >
              > Sounds like you are experiencing low resources (this has nothing to do
              with
              > how much RAM you have). Could you check how much system resources you have
              > left? You'll find the Resource Meter in your Start menu under
              > Programs/Accessories/System Tools.
              >

              > Regards,
              > Eric G.V. Fookes
              > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
              > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

            • Eric G.V. Fookes
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 5, 2001
                Hello Dwight,

                >My system shows 62% Resources free. Jody Adair in your
                >office has tried to help also. I finally deleted all files and reinstalled
                >the program with virus protection and firewall turned off. Same
                >results.

                There's one thing I forgot to mention. NoteTab's Help file is basically a
                special type of document that is displayed through the Windows WinHelp
                program. The error message you keep seeing is generated by WinHelp, not
                NoteTab. Come to think of it, maybe your WinHelp program file is damaged?
                Keep NoteTab closed and see if you can display Help by opening NoteTab.hlp
                through Windows Explorer.

                Regards,
                Eric G.V. Fookes

              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                  Hi Dwight,

                  >I tried your suggestion. The file 'notetab.hlp' will not open. When
                  >I click that folder, the following dialog box comes up:
                  >notetabpro is not a valid win32 application.

                  Does Windows Explorer show a book icon with a question mark for the
                  NoteTab.Hlp file? I wonder is something is messed up with your file
                  associations for .hlp.

                  Regards,
                  Eric G.V. Fookes

                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                    At least you are getting your system resources up higher than they were
                    before.

                    This make any workstation run better and is just good all-around
                    information.

                    I am curious about the question that Eric asked though...Is it showing a
                    book with a question mark on itself for the help file?

                    If it is not, then your file association for help files may be a little
                    messed up.

                    If you are running in Windows 9x, to see if the association os correct,
                    do the following:

                    Open up "My Computer"

                    Select "View"

                    Scroll down to "Folder Options"

                    Selct the "File Types" tab at the top.

                    Scroll down the window you get at the top for file type and extensions.

                    They are in alphabetical order, so scroll down until you see "Help File"

                    It should tell you that it opens with WINHLP32.

                    Hit the "Edit" button and make sure that under "action" is says "open"

                    Make sure that the "Change Icon" button at the top displays a purple
                    book with a question mark in it for an icon.

                    Also, look at the bottom of the screen and hit the "Edit" button.

                    Make sure the application path it is referencing is
                    "c:\windows\winhlp32.exe"
                    assuming that you have installed Windows to the default "Windows"
                    directory.

                    There's more to it, but for now just let us know if those items check
                    out for you so we can tell if you need that file association added. I
                    could always step you through how to add that to your system.

                    Thanx!

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                      Don't reinstall Windows!

                      This is not a solution by design. It really seems that there is just
                      one problem in specific on your PC.

                      Let me just ask a few more things about your file associations before
                      you do anything like that.

                      Even if it did help, it's always nice to get a solution for the people
                      who hate having to reinstall Windows for a solution to a problem.

                      Check out my previous email and tell me how your file associations are
                      in your system.

                      Then we can step it up from there to see what needs to be done next. I
                      am not out of ideas and should be able to fix it for you without having
                      you reinstall.

                      Get back to the group so we can go through a few more things.

                      Thanx!

                      Brian

                      Yes! I think I will refresh Windows 98 by reinstalling it. Do you
                      think this would help?

                      Dwight
                      dave@...
                      > >I tried your suggestion. The file 'notetab.hlp' will not open. When
                      > >I click that folder, the following dialog box comes up:
                      > >notetabpro is not a valid win32 application.
                      >
                      > Does Windows Explorer show a book icon with a question mark for the
                      > NoteTab.Hlp file? I wonder is something is messed up with your file
                      > associations for .hlp.
                      >

                      > Regards,
                      > Eric G.V. Fookes
                      > Author of NoteTab, Mailbag Assistant, and Album Express
                      > http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.notetab.com/

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                      007389:HM/A=879171/R=0/*http://www.fastweb.com/ib/yahoo-57f>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=178320.1681224.3270152.1261774/D=egrou
                      pmail/S=1705007389:HM/A=879171/rand=157254291>

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                        Hi Dwight,

                        I'd rather us all move this over to the OffTopic list or private
                        eMail since it is a very isolated problem. TIA See my sigline. ;)

                        >Yes! I think I will refresh Windows 98 by reinstalling it. Do you
                        >think this would help?

                        Check to see if other .hlp files will open for you like I
                        mentioned last night by clicking on the .hlp file itself. I can
                        send you my Win98SE WinHelp.exe file if you would like. I would
                        try checking other HLP files (WinHelp.exe) and the other
                        suggestions like the association before you reload Win98.

                        mailto:jody@...

                        >Dwight
                        >dave@...

                        Happy Topics,
                        Jody

                        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Hi Dwight,

                          Thanks Brian and others for your help so far. I copied the
                          Off-Topic list. ;)

                          >The File Associations worked out exactly as you said they should.
                          >I will NOT reinstall Windows 98 as per your suggestion.

                          If you get a window saying that the file type is not associated
                          (can't find program) then browse till you get to
                          C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe double click on it, and then click on OK.

                          If the window does not come up similar to the above, go to
                          Windows Explorer and click on View | Folder Options | File Types
                          and scroll down the list till you get to HLP. Click on Edit and
                          browse to C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe and double click, click Apply if
                          it is highlighted, then OK. I do not have my 98 machine turned
                          on so the above Apply and OK, (positive choice) might not be
                          exactly right.
                        • Dwight Davis

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                Hi Eric,

                                The File Associations worked out exactly as you said they should.
                                I will NOT reinstall Windows 98 as per your suggestion.

                                Dwight
                                dave2nexad.com
                                > This is not a solution by design. It really seems that there is just
                                > one problem in specific on your PC.
                                >
                                > Let me just ask a few more things about your file associations before
                                > you do anything like that.
                                >
                                > Even if it did help, it's always nice to get a solution for the people
                                > who hate having to reinstall Windows for a solution to a problem.
                                >
                                > Check out my previous email and tell me how your file associations are
                                > in your system.
                                >
                                > Then we can step it up from there to see what needs to be done next. I
                                > am not out of ideas and should be able to fix it for you without having
                                > you reinstall.
                                >
                                > Get back to the group so we can go through a few more things.
                                >
                                > Thanx!
                                >
                                > Brian

                              • Jim Hall
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                  Eric and Dwight,

                                  At 05:22 PM 12/6/01 +0100, you wrote:
                                  >Hi Dwight,
                                  >
                                  > >I tried your suggestion. The file 'notetab.hlp' will not open. When
                                  > >I click that folder, the following dialog box comes up:
                                  > >notetabpro is not a valid win32 application.
                                  >
                                  >Does Windows Explorer show a book icon with a question mark for the
                                  >NoteTab.Hlp file? I wonder is something is messed up with your file
                                  >associations for .hlp.

                                  Once again this is not a NoteTab problem. (As usual <G>)

                                  I just went through this with a clean install of Win2K.

                                  This problem belongs to MS.

                                  Win2k seems to have a problem with the winhlp.exe file - there are
                                  several - in fact there is a hidden one in c:\winnt\system32\ , as well
                                  as a non hidden one (weird) one of which is the one associated by
                                  Win2k - there is one in c:\winnt\ that works okay when I modify the
                                  association and use it.

                                  This is apparently a win2k problem since it won't run
                                  c:\winnt\system32\winhlp.hlp by association either without modifying
                                  the standard association.

                                  Try going to

                                  MY COMPUTER>TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>FILE TYPES select the HLP extension and go
                                  through the CHANGE dialog and select OTHER and redefine which winhlp.exe to
                                  use. Try using the one in c:\winnt.

                                  If you aren't using Win2K, go through the same exercise in the version you
                                  are using until you find a winhlp.exe that works.

                                  Regards,

                                  Jim
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                    Hi Dwight & All,

                                    Jim, Dwight is running a Win98 machine. I will send him step by
                                    step instructions private eMail and copy the Off-Topic list in a
                                    little while. We need to get these long machine dependent techie
                                    posts off the Basic list please. TIA

                                    >> If the window does not come up similar to the above, go to
                                    >> Windows Explorer and click on View | Folder Options | File Types
                                    >> and scroll...

                                    Happy Topics,
                                    Jody

                                    The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                                  • Dwight Davis
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                      > Thanks Brian and others for your help so far. I copied the
                                      > Off-Topic list. ;)
                                      >
                                      > >The File Associations worked out exactly as you said they should.
                                      > >I will NOT reinstall Windows 98 as per your suggestion.
                                      >
                                      > If you get a window saying that the file type is not associated
                                      > (can't find program) then browse till you get to
                                      > C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe double click on it, and then click on OK.

                                      You lost me here. Where do I get a window (as stated above)?

                                      > If the window does not come up similar to the above, go to
                                      > Windows Explorer and click on View | Folder Options | File Types
                                      > and scroll down the list till you get to HLP. Click on Edit and
                                      > browse to C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe and double click, click Apply if
                                      > it is highlighted, then OK. I do not have my 98 machine turned
                                      > on so the above Apply and OK, (positive choice) might not be
                                      > exactly right.

                                      I did as explained above. the only file in the list showed Help,
                                      but there was no HLP as you suggest, so could go no further.

                                      Dwight
                                      dave@...

                                    • Charles
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                        > I'd rather us all move this over to the OffTopic list or private
                                        > eMail since it is a very isolated problem. TIA See my sigline. ;)
                                        Usually, I feel you're being a little stiff with directing people to
                                        other lists. But this time, well, this topic has gotten way out of hand :P
                                        14msgs on this group in just like 2hrs - this is a phenomenal amount,
                                        considering I check my mail maybe 2ce a day ;) Yikes.
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 6, 2001
                                          Hi Charles and Others, Book 1...

                                          Just kidding about the subject. ;) Just a couple thoughts and
                                          I'll let you all be. First, I am pretty easy to get along with
                                          as long as you do it my way. haha I'd like to say to Bryllars
                                          that I am a bit sorry for coming on too strong when all in all
                                          he/she has been helpful and mannered well on the lists and in
                                          private eMail. We all have our days. ;->

                                          If you do not have time to read this and fairly new to the
                                          list(s), please read your Welcome Letter and/or skip down to the
                                          line starting with ***.

                                          The main reason that I run a number of topics to other lists is
                                          so NoteTab newbies and the users that only use the very basic
                                          features have a list they can post on without getting flooded
                                          with eMail that flies wright over their head without passing go.
                                          There are all kinds of people on the Basic list including those
                                          at work (?) getting paid while they participate, even if only
                                          reading on the Basic list. (I like to weed them back into the
                                          work force eventually though with a good working basic knowledge
                                          of 'Tab. :-)

                                          We use to have everything on one list and had an extremely high
                                          subscribe/unsubscribe rate. The single list stayed around 225
                                          members for maybe two years. After starting the Advanced list
                                          (now Clips) the count doubled to 500 or so, perhaps in a few
                                          months. Over 2-3 years it has grown to just shy of 1000 members.
                                          I am not really into numbers, but rather quality. If the big
                                          numbers follow, so be it.

                                          What happens a lot of time is what you all just witnessed and
                                          that is a number of people posting some tech-talk stuff having
                                          nothing to do with NoteTab. Once some of the Basic stuff is
                                          posted by a member, then it should be mentioned by the member
                                          (hopefully;) that any more discussion should be brought to the
                                          such and such list. Believe me, it is best way to go. The way I
                                          figure it and have learned from many lists in about six years is
                                          to try to please the majority of users and secondly, the least
                                          moderation posts by me. Once a fire gets started on the lists it
                                          is hard to put it out,so I have learned to not waist much time in
                                          jumping in. This also helps newbies to see how and where to
                                          post...

                                          *** Topics that should be diverted to the other lists away from the
                                          Basic list [NTB] are:

                                          Posting Clips and discussion of Clips. A big no, no! Super
                                          big wet noodle across the eyeball for that one.
                                          Discussion about Regular Expressions (RegExp), Gawk, Perl, VB,
                                          CGI, HTML, XML, etc. (See Help | NoteTab's Glossary;)
                                          Problems with NoteTab when it is known or at least looks like it
                                          is not a NoteTab problem such as: Windows bugs, conflicts,
                                          hardware, and/or isolated to a computer or perhaps a few.
                                          We use the Off-Topic or the Next-Release lists for those.
                                          See, troubleshooting a bug is not the discussion of the *basic*
                                          use of NoteTab, especially if it is an isolated problem. You
                                          say Clip and they say right there in the first drawer of my
                                          desk. You say delimiter and they all put unsubscribe in the
                                          Subject line. ;)

                                          Some examples of the Basic use of NoteTab would be questions and
                                          answers like the following. Note that some of the questions
                                          could really go to a different list than the Basic. There is no
                                          problem to answer a quick question like, "How do I make my
                                          Outlines show up in my browser?" I surely do not have a problem
                                          with telling somebody on the Basic list to click on Modify |
                                          Document to HTML | No Character version, but would let the list
                                          members know to discuss it further to sign up for the NoteTab &
                                          HTML list giving the link and also provide some links to some
                                          easy references, tutorials, etc.

                                          What are Libraries and Clips?
                                          How do I make an Outline?
                                          How do I keep the files from opening every time I start NoteTab?
                                          Why do I only have a few fonts listed in the Trial version?
                                          Are upgrades for free?
                                          How do I clean up eMail messages?
                                          How do I save a file?
                                          How do I move a file?
                                          How do I save a file that has been saved but in a different location?
                                          How can I make my Outline file into an HTML file?
                                          How can I distribute my Outline files?
                                          Can I make the text different colors like in MS Word?
                                          How do I make a new document?
                                          What is an easy way to get started with HTML?

                                          There are short descriptions of the lists at the following link:
                                          http://www.notetab.net/html/maillists.htm Here they are:

                                          Subscribe
                                          The NoteTab Basic List
                                          NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The NoteTab Clips List
                                          ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The NoteTab ClipsClass List
                                          ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The NoteTab HTML List
                                          ntb-HTML-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The NoteTab Next Release List
                                          ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                                          ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The Album Express List
                                          Album-Express-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The Mailbag Assistant List
                                          MailBag-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                          The Fookes Software Next Release List
                                          FS-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                          If you want to be on our notification list for Fookes Software
                                          updates, discount specials, and new products sign up for it at
                                          http://www.fookes.com in the lower left border area. You can
                                          unsubscribe an old address if you were already on our list.

                                          You can also sign up for a few of the lists mentioned above at:
                                          http://www.notetab.com/support.htm