Re: Double Space - was Re: [NTB] Digest Number 547

  • RS
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2001
      Hi Bryllars,

      at 11/30/01 05:52 PM -0500 you wrote:
      > >Just use the Replace dialog.
      > >
      > >Find: ^p
      > >Replace: ^p^p
      >
      >"JUST" is hardly the term
      > You have to narrow in on the Replace Dialogue which is not obvious
      > although logical
      > then you have to know to type the character ^ not perform it
      > and if you make the slightest error the whole thing blows up.

      Undo = Ctrl + Z

      > This is a special problem in accessing Notetab commands and resources.
      > A special FUNCTIONAL guide and list needs to be written - so that
      > ANY user
      >can figure out where to go for ALL these functions.

      Try opening the Replace dialog and pressing F1 to invoque the context
      sensitive help. Eric has made a wonderful job documenting NoteTab. You'll
      see everything is there.

      As an afterthought on the double-spacing issue, I should have said:

      Split lines before, and then:
      >Use the Replace dialog.
      >
      >Find: ^p
      >Replace: ^p^p

      Regards,

      RS
    • bryllars@concentric.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
        This goes back to Nov 30 and Dec 1
        so I will reprint the dialogue
        and then make my reply comment

        At 10:38 AM 12/1/01 -0500, RS wrote:
        >Hi Bryllars,
        >
        > at 11/30/01 05:52 PM -0500 you (Bryllars) wrote:
        >> >Just use the Replace dialog.
        >> >
        >> >Find: ^p
        >> >Replace: ^p^p
        >>
        >>"JUST" is hardly the term
        >> You have to narrow in on the Replace Dialogue which is not obvious
        >> although logical
        >> then you have to know to type the character ^ not perform it
        >> and if you make the slightest error the whole thing blows up.
        >

        >> This is a special problem in accessing Notetab commands and resources.
        >> A special FUNCTIONAL guide and list needs to be written - so that
        >> ANY user
        >>can figure out where to go for ALL these functions.

        RS replied
        >Try opening the Replace dialog and pressing F1 to invoque the context
        >sensitive help. Eric has made a wonderful job documenting NoteTab. You'll
        >see everything is there.

        Bryllars NOW writes:

        The problem is not that it is not there somehow --
        But how would I have a clue that what I need is under the REPLACE dialogue
        unless I can browse or word search some kind of Help / Text file to FIND OUT.
        The "Wonderful Job" is good for nothing unless I can find it.
        All this help and command info and menu info should - I repeat -
        be copied into a text file than can be searched
        and organized into a FUNCTIONAL list

        As I said:
        A special FUNCTIONAL guide and list needs to be written - so that ANY user
        can figure out where to go for ALL these functions.

        A collected text file of what is already written is the minimum. Those of us who know
        how to DOS search (with ZTREEWin for instance - which is quicker than any Windows
        process) or using a slower Windows / Notetab Text search
        can take the responsibility ourselves to organize it.
        But we will miss functions we don't already know about.

        A FUNCTIONAL list would help.
        Too much of Notetab is hidden in cubby holes hidden within cubby holes.

        (Eric - please take note.)

        RS shows a complacency that all is OK that infests a fair amount of Notetab culture.

        Bryllars@...

        >As an afterthought on the double-spacing issue, I should have said:
        >
        >Split lines before, and then:
        > >Use the Replace dialog.
        > >
        > >Find: ^p
        > >Replace: ^p^p
        >

        >Regards,
        >
        >RS

      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
          At 05:27 PM 12/4/01, bryllars@... wrote:

          >Bryllars NOW writes:
          >
          > The problem is not that it is not there somehow --
          > But how would I have a clue that what I need is under the REPLACE
          > dialogue
          >unless I can browse or word search some kind of Help / Text file to
          >FIND OUT.

          By reading through the documentation to get a feel for what the program
          can do. The same as any other software.

          >The "Wonderful Job" is good for nothing unless I can find it.
          >All this help and command info and menu info should - I repeat -
          >be copied into a text file than can be searched
          > and organized into a FUNCTIONAL list

          Bollocks! A FUNCTIONAL list as you describe would be impossible to
          write unless the writer had a crystal ball. You don't say what you
          would "search" for above ... I can't guess that search term
          successfully. So how can someone write to the unknown workings of every
          mind.

          So you came here, asked the question and told that what you needed was
          under the "Replace" option. Let's see, the Menu bar has Search and when
          you select Search low and behold you have a Replace option. Pretty
          damned intuitive if you ask me. Did you write to Microsoft and ask them
          to write a FUNCTIONAL list so you could find out where Search & Replace
          is?

          How much time have you spent with NoteTab Pro (I am assuming that you
          are using Pro since I can't believe anyone would be asking for the
          things you're asking for if they hadn't at least paid for the program)?
          Not enough is my guess.

          It isn't your questions, or your requests, that irritate me - it's your
          tone of entitlement and condescension that puts me off (maybe it
          doesn't bother anyone else; I won't presume to speak for anyone but
          myself.)

          >As I said:
          >A special FUNCTIONAL guide and list needs to be written - so that ANY
          >user
          >can figure out where to go for ALL these functions.

          Go for it. Copy the help file pages and compile them into one huge text
          document. I'll bet you still can't find what you're looking for since
          you don't seem to know exactly how to query it.

          So spend some time with the NTP documentation and special help files.
          Come and ask your questions here. But don't demand something more from
          someone who has provided a top-notch program and sells it for a
          whopping $20 - or gives it away free.

          Regards,
          Rick

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
            It is Rick Friedline's attitude that is holding up the computer industry and permits a
            Bill Gates to absorb everything like a mushroom.
            He says
            >So spend some time with the NTP documentation and special help files.
            >Come and ask your questions here. But don't demand something more from
            >someone who has provided a top-notch program and sells it for a
            >whopping $20 - or gives it away free.

            The point is not a question about the individual - but learning and laying out
            clearly for people who do not - or can no longer stand reading all the documentation
            and that means having almost to memorize it because one does not at the time know
            which functions one is going to need
            the essentials of the software that one can find on demand
            No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already written anyway,
            just poorly organized for the stranger.

            These are normal standards in any other field involving communication with the public
            but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.

            Bryllars

          • Rick Friedline
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2001
              Sir, you have quoted me out of context, ignored the main points of my
              argument, and lowered yourself to ad hominem argument.

              It is clear to me that your comments below simply prove my point.

              It is impolite to change subject lines unless the subject has indeed
              changed. It is also impolite to email a cc: of your post unless
              expressly invited to do so. You are NOT invited to do so.

              You are simply whining. Stop it!

              I have nothing further to add to this silly thread ...

              My apologies to the rest of the list.

              Rick

              At 10:39 PM 12/4/01, bryllars@... wrote:

              >It is Rick Friedline's attitude that is holding up the computer
              >industry and permits a
              >Bill Gates to absorb everything like a mushroom.
              >He says
              > >So spend some time with the NTP documentation and special help
              > files.
              > >Come and ask your questions here. But don't demand something more
              > from
              > >someone who has provided a top-notch program and sells it for a
              > >whopping $20 - or gives it away free.
              >
              >The point is not a question about the individual - but learning and
              >laying out
              >clearly for people who do not - or can no longer stand reading all the
              >documentation
              >and that means having almost to memorize it because one does not at
              >the time know
              >which functions one is going to need
              > the essentials of the software that one can find on demand
              > No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already
              > written anyway,
              >just poorly organized for the stranger.
              >
              > These are normal standards in any other field involving
              > communication with the public
              >but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.

            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                Bryllars

                At 11:39 PM 12/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
                >No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already written
                >anyway,
                >just poorly organized for the stranger.
                >
                > These are normal standards in any other field involving
                > communication with the public
                >but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.

                It seems to me that you have a pretty good idea of what is needed.

                Since the majority of this documentation is written BY the list users FOR
                the list users, I for one would be happy to see you organize it in a manner
                you find suitable and distribute it to all of the rest of the users. I'm
                sure the new users would be most appreciative of your efforts.

                I would be happy to supply you with the dribs and drabs I've managed to
                accumulate if it would help you in your efforts, and I'm sure that there
                are many others on the list who would as well.

                Looking forward to seeing your first draft.

                Regards,

                Jim
              • Bryan Guignard
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                  I missed the beginning of this thread, so forgive me if I'm missing the point.
                  If I'm getting this right, then it appears there is a need for organizing all
                  the NoteTab knowledge being produced into something more intuitive and
                  accessible.

                  If someone is willing to send me all the information, preferably as plain text
                  then I would be quite happy to convert it all to PDF and index it. A well
                  indexed PDF library has no equals. It's easily compressed so it remains small,
                  searches are lightning fast even on slow systems, it's platform independent, and
                  with tools like Acrobat or Gymnast tons of text documents are converted to PDF
                  with a few mouse clicks.

                  If you have something to send me please contact me before doing so to make sure
                  I haven't received the same thing from someone else.

                  My email is bryang@...

                  Bryan Guignard

                  Jim Hall wrote:

                  > Bryllars
                  >
                  > At 11:39 PM 12/4/01 -0500, you wrote:
                  > >No one is asking Eric to go and write documentation - it's already written
                  > >anyway,
                  > >just poorly organized for the stranger.
                  > >
                  > > These are normal standards in any other field involving
                  > > communication with the public
                  > >but somehow in computers it is the customer's fault. Stop it.
                  >
                  > It seems to me that you have a pretty good idea of what is needed.
                  >
                  > Since the majority of this documentation is written BY the list users FOR
                  > the list users, I for one would be happy to see you organize it in a manner
                  > you find suitable and distribute it to all of the rest of the users. I'm
                  > sure the new users would be most appreciative of your efforts.
                  >
                  > I would be happy to supply you with the dribs and drabs I've managed to
                  > accumulate if it would help you in your efforts, and I'm sure that there
                  > are many others on the list who would as well.
                  >
                  > Looking forward to seeing your first draft.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Jim

                • Kenneth Leake
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                    This is probably starting to drift OT, but I'd argue that something which is the equal of a well indexed PDF file, is a well indexed Help file. Isn't this what we've got already? Maybe just the Index could do with an overhaul.

                    I've got to confess I find Notetab so easy to use that I don't refer to the Help file very often!

                    regards
                    Ken Leake

                    >>> bryang@... 05/12/01 15:25:31 >>>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                      Let me be clearer - I have no objection to anything about Notetab that the programmers could
                      fix. (There are Windows problems with the way text files are handled)
                      Nor am I criticizing the help files per se.
                      There IS a difference between clarifying menus and explaining terms and commands
                      and organizing things under FUNCTION = what you want to do.
                      Make double space etc etc
                      In those terms it is sometimes hard to find what you need.
                      (This is not unique to Notetab) In the long run help files need to be organized
                      for funtions the users want to perform. Not for knowledgeable computer types
                      who know everything already. (Pardon the testiness but I've gotten some insulting
                      letters in reply to what seems a simple idea)

                      That's all
                      Bryllars

                      At 04:43 PM 12/5/01 +0000, you wrote:
                      >This is probably starting to drift OT, but I'd argue that something which is the equal of a well indexed PDF file, is a well indexed Help file. Isn't this what we've got already? Maybe just the Index could do with an overhaul.
                      >
                      >I've got to confess I find Notetab so easy to use that I don't refer to the Help file very often!
                      >
                      >regards
                      >Ken Leake

                      >... A well indexed PDF library has no equals. It's easily compressed so it remains small,
                      >searches are lightning fast even on slow systems, it's platform independent, and
                      >with tools like Acrobat or Gymnast tons of text documents are converted to PDF
                      >with a few mouse clicks.

                    • Eric G.V. Fookes
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 5, 2001
                        Hello Bryllars,

                        >Let me be clearer - I have no objection to anything about Notetab that the
                        >programmers could
                        >fix. (There are Windows problems with the way text files are handled)
                        >Nor am I criticizing the help files per se.
                        >There IS a difference between clarifying menus and explaining terms and
                        >commands
                        > and organizing things under FUNCTION = what you want to do.
                        > Make double space etc etc
                        > In those terms it is sometimes hard to find what you need.
                        > (This is not unique to Notetab) In the long run help files need to
                        > be organized
                        >for funtions the users want to perform. Not for knowledgeable computer types
                        >who know everything already.

                        The problem is that there are an endless number of tasks you can perform
                        with NoteTab. And not one person is using NoteTab the same way or for the
                        same purposes. Of course, I admit the Help file is not perfect. I could
                        easily spend my whole time just improving the information but that is not
                        where my skills lie (to be honest, I really prefer programming <g>.) So we
                        have these great NoteTab discussion lists (thanks Jody) that give
                        NoteTabbers an opportunity to help each other. If you have a specific task
                        to perform and don't know how to go about it, then start a discussion on
                        one of the NoteTab lists. Most of the time you'll get the answers you need.

                        Regards,
                        Eric G.V. Fookes

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Hi 'Tabbers,

                          There are links to different files for help with various parts of
                          NoteTab below my long rambling if anybody wants to just skip over
                          it and download.

                          Bryllars and others posting under the Subject "documentation and
                          FUNCTIONAL clarity" thank you for "toning your voice down" a bit
                          on this thread for it is really appreciated. I'm sorry about the
                          flames that you may have received off the list and on the list,
                          but I can understand why you did. It is sort of like somebody
                          telling your kid sister she is fat when you are standing there
                          with her if you know what I mean. Most this stuff is wasted time
                          anyway since Eric will be rewriting the Help file for v5. I
                          thought I'd put my 2 cents in now to help explain some things for
                          all reading.

                          I agree with just about everything said going your way and part
                          of what you posted. Jim Hall basically posted what I was going
                          to say along with reiterating some of the statement that the task
                          you want to achieve is simply impossible. I also include RS'
                          correct statement knowing that NoteTab's Help file is one of the
                          best I have ever seen. I actually reference it since it does
                          have useful information in it and it is well laid out (especially
                          when comparing it with other Help files). All that is contrary
                          to a Bill Gates attitude. You will not find many programmers
                          answering discussion list mail at all, let alone as much as Eric
                          does. Eric, some others, and myself know that the program Eric
                          uses to make the index with does not index a lot of words so
                          there are some keywords "missing" that should be indexed. Some,
                          or a fair amount of the Help file was edited by Ray Fitzgerald
                          and some other "old timers", many users corrections, and other
                          parts rewritten by users. Look at it this way, the more time
                          Eric spends doing something he does not like doing like the Help
                          file the more time he has to program. Most users would much
                          rather have factuality over documentation. We could do everything
                          you want and more and we will still have a great many unhappy
                          campers. You are basically asking for more of a tutorial than a
                          regular Help file. A searchable all text version is easy to get
                          like I think I have already mentioned on the other thread this
                          was on before you renamed it.

                          I mentioned the other day to get the RTF version and then save it
                          as TXT. You can search it with regular expressions (RegExp) and
                          perhaps a Clip that will do AND, OR, NOT (which I have) or even
                          use a neat tool for searching and learning with RegExp called
                          Ransack. I will post a Clip or two and give a link for the
                          freeware on the Clips list in a later post. (See link in my
                          sigline to get on the Clips list. You can sign up and set your
                          options to NoMail/Web or whatever they are calling it now-a-
                          days.)

                          NoteTab's Glossary
                          NoteTab Glossary, Edition 1.7
                          Last updated on 08-31-2001
                          Glossary.otl 85.41KB
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/glossary.zip 35.17KB

                          Clipbar Help
                          Clipbar.html 28.96KB
                          http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm 28.76KB

                          Clipbar Outline
                          Same as above, but in Outline form
                          Clipbar.otl 17.80KB
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/cbarotl.zip 5.28KB

                          ClipClass: last updated on 08-27-2001, 11:26am (Lesson 10)
                          Ongoing lessons for Clip building
                          ClipClass.clb 54.59KB
                          ClipClass.otl 134.26KB
                          Toolbar.txt 18.09KB
                          Program layout (focused on Clip writing - online)
                          http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/starting.htm
                          The following are in clipclass.zip
                          http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/cbarotl.zip 12.57KB
                          http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/tooltips.zip 3.42KB
                          http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip 305.46KB

                          Well done v4.86 full Help file in CHM format.
                          Need IE to use the file type, but much better
                          than HLP format: by Hugo <paulissen@...> 273.77KB
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486chm.zip 260.78KB

                          I have the Help file in RTF format for printing. Actually, two
                          versions of it. The first is a complete version (help486lg.zip)
                          and the smaller one has all the information that is not needed for
                          its use like legal, ordering, acknowledgements, etc. deleted
                          (zip/help486sm.zip). You could delete the Clip information as
                          well. Then only print what you actually need saving probably over
                          100 sheets of paper and other text just getting in your way.
                          Here's the links in case you are interested and is available free
                          at this time:

                          Complete NoteTab Help file in RTF format:
                          Can be edited for printing
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486lg.zip 129.00KB
                          Partial NoteTab Help file in RTF format
                          Ordering information, Legal, etc. omitted
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486sm.zip 107.00KB

                          Complete NoteTab Help file in HTML format (Will update later)
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/help483htm.zip 348.10KB

                          Searchable Clip Help from NoteTab's Help File
                          Must have Internet Explorer Installed
                          NTBhelp483.chm 177.09KB
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/help483chm.zip 154.57KB

                          The latest PDF file I have is v4.84 done by Bryan. I will get
                          with him and see if he will update it for us. He is a very busy
                          and expensive man, so I for one greatly appreciate the time he
                          has been taking to do the Help file in PDF. So, if you can
                          afford $500.00-$1000.00 an hour for consulting fees on Adobe he
                          is your man indeed! Bryan Guignard <bryang@...>

                        • Greg Chapman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 6, 2001
                            > This is probably starting to drift OT, but I'd argue that
                            > something which is the equal of a well indexed PDF file, is a
                            > well indexed Help file. Isn't this what we've got already? Maybe
                            > just the Index could do with an overhaul.

                            I've said this enough before but...

                            The only problem with the HELP file is that it's written like a book, not a
                            context sensitive, click-by-click help file. (But then I hate most of
                            those that I've seen - with Paint Shop Pro being one of the worst/best
                            example of its kind.)

                            If you read through the NOTETAB help file from start to end (Either get one
                            of the OTL format versions or insert the following lines in your WIN.INI:

                            [Windows Help]
                            SeqTopicKeys=1

                            and use the keys:
                            CTRL-HOME
                            CTRL-END
                            CTRL-RIGHTARROW
                            CTRL-LEFTARROW
                            to scroll through it) you will find that it's arranged as a very well
                            ordered, and complete, book.

                            The problem for most new users is either:

                            They were expecting to find that NOTETAB was a word processor, or that it's
                            terminology is strange. The only answer to the former is education and the
                            latter a good index using a lot of non-NOTETAB terms to help those not used
                            to it.

                            Maybe having the help file in HTMLHELP format rather than WINHELP format
                            would help?

                            Greg
                          • Stephen Riddle
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 11, 2001
                              Hi Guys,
                              When you first use a Help File (any Help file, not Just NoteTab's), you
                              get an option to make a detailed word list for searching.
                              I always try to do that, because the Table of Contents for any Help file
                              I've ever encountered just suggests where things are for me.
                              If, however I've not asked for a detailed database, I have no idea how
                              to make it detailed.
                              Good luck,
                              Stephen

                              > >> But how would I have a clue that what I need is under the REPLACE
                              > >> dialogue
                              > >>unless I can browse or word search some kind of Help / Text file to
                              > >>FIND OUT.

                            • hpaulissen
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 12, 2001
                                Stephen,

                                I do not know if this is true for all help-files but in NoteTab-help
                                you can go to the index-tab and hit the rebuild-button. Here you will
                                find the option to minimize database size/maximize search
                                capabilities/customize search capabilities...

                                HTH,

                                Hugo