Re: [NTB] Runtime Error

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2001
      Charles:
      > Well, here's what happened. I'd opened up Help and was searching for
      > stuff, but it didn't leave an icon in the taskbar or anything, so I forgot
      > it was open. I closed NoteTab (Pro 4.86/np), and I then closed help
      (while
      > NT was still closing), and I got an error about a parent window missing.
      > thought nothing of it. Now I have a 'popup' on my screen. Title bar says
      > 'Error', and the text is 'Runtime error 216 at 0003B992' and an 'OK'
      button.
      > I press the OK button, and another one pops up. And another. And
      another.
      > etcetc.
      > Whoah. I just did a bunch of rapid-succession clicking on 'OK' and it
      > finally went away. I'm pretty sure this was NoteTab, and I think
      something
      > like this popped up before on the list?

      Using Win98 (same version as you) I get exactly the same symptoms as you
      almost ANY time I cliose a Notetab window when the resources are below about
      15%. (I tend to run with a lot of crap in my SysTray)

      Using TClockEx which gives an instantaneous and more rapid display of
      resource usage than does the microsoft provide resource meter, I've observed
      that opening and closing NoteTab causes a BIG momementary dip and then
      rebound in resources. Sometimes it happens quickly enough that the 10%
      RESOURCE WARNING doesn't even get triggered.

      If you just leave the secondary '[ERROR]' box alone for a minute or so and
      THEN click it once, it seems to avoid the endless repetition. I suspect this
      situation isn't going to get resolved until we all go to WinXP. (Eric-Jody
      (?) - have I got this basically right?)

      Regards ... Alec
        > If you just leave the secondary '[ERROR]' box alone for a minute or so and
        > THEN click it once, it seems to avoid the endless repetition. I suspect
        this
        > situation isn't going to get resolved until we all go to WinXP. (Eric-Jody
        > (?) - have I got this basically right?)
        *laughs* It'll be a long time, then - I'm avoiding XP for as long as
        possible ;)
        In any event, thanks for the info Alec. I'll keep that in mind next
        time!

        --Charles

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
          Hi Alec & Charles,

          Try ESC instead of OK. The only time I have experienced NoteTab
          with the error below is when I am extremely low on resources.
          See if a reboot helps and if not send all the information you can
          to Jody@... TIA

          > > Well, here's what happened. I'd opened up Help and was
          > > searching for stuff, but it didn't leave an icon in the taskbar
          > > or anything, so I forgot it was open. I closed NoteTab (Pro
          > > 4.86/np), and I then closed help (while NT was still closing),
          > > and I got an error about a parent window missing. I thought
          > > nothing of it. Now I have a 'popup' on my screen. Title bar
          > > says 'Error', and the text is 'Runtime error 216 at 0003B992'
          > > and an 'OK' button. I press the OK button, and another one pops
          > > up. And another. And another.
          > > etcetc.
          > > Whoah. I just did a bunch of rapid-succession clicking on 'OK'
          > > and it finally went away. I'm pretty sure this was NoteTab,
          > > and I think something like this popped up before on the list?
          > >
          >Using Win98 (same version as you) I get exactly the same symptoms
          >as you almost ANY time I cliose a Notetab window when the
          >resources are below about 15%. (I tend to run with a lot of crap
          >in my SysTray)

          >If you just leave the secondary '[ERROR]' box alone for a minute
          >or so and THEN click it once, it seems to avoid the endless
          >repetition. I suspect this situation isn't going to get resolved
          >until we all go to WinXP. (Eric-Jody (?) - have I got this
          >basically right?)

        • Charles
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
            > Hi Alec & Charles,
            >
            > Try ESC instead of OK. The only time I have experienced NoteTab
            > with the error below is when I am extremely low on resources.
            > See if a reboot helps and if not send all the information you can
            > to Jody@... TIA
            I've tried ctrl-alt-del too. Pretty sure I did ESC.. :/ I don't recall.
            It's rather quite rare that I encounter it. And yeah, if I can't get it to
            go away, a reboot fixes everything. Oh well. We're getting more RAM in
            both of our home machines soon anyways... wheee! ;)

            --Charles

            > > > Well, here's what happened. I'd opened up Help and was
            > > > searching for stuff, but it didn't leave an icon in the taskbar
            > > > or anything, so I forgot it was open. I closed NoteTab (Pro
            > > > 4.86/np), and I then closed help (while NT was still closing),
            > > > and I got an error about a parent window missing. I thought
            > > > nothing of it. Now I have a 'popup' on my screen. Title bar
            > > > says 'Error', and the text is 'Runtime error 216 at 0003B992'
            > > > and an 'OK' button. I press the OK button, and another one pops
            > > > up. And another. And another.
            > > > etcetc.
            > > > Whoah. I just did a bunch of rapid-succession clicking on 'OK'
            > > > and it finally went away. I'm pretty sure this was NoteTab,
            > > > and I think something like this popped up before on the list?
            > > >
            > >Using Win98 (same version as you) I get exactly the same symptoms
            > >as you almost ANY time I cliose a Notetab window when the
            > >resources are below about 15%. (I tend to run with a lot of crap
            > >in my SysTray)
            >
            > >If you just leave the secondary '[ERROR]' box alone for a minute
            > >or so and THEN click it once, it seems to avoid the endless
            > >repetition. I suspect this situation isn't going to get resolved
            > >until we all go to WinXP. (Eric-Jody (?) - have I got this
            > >basically right?)
            >

            > Happy NoteTab'n,
            > Jody Adair
            >
            > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
            > http://www.notetab.net
            >
            > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
            > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • Bob M Brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
              Hi,

              Just thought it would be worth pointing out that I have this from time to
              time. It seems to hit me when I do a File/Open and it crashes me right out.
              Sometimes I get the runtime error but I don't get thrown. I'm running
              Win2000 5.00.2195 and Service Pack 2. I'll get as much info as I can next
              time. It normally happens if I've got multiple documents open and I'm
              giving NTB a good workout..

              Cheers,

              - Bob -

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
                Hi Bob & Charles,

                If you would please, post any other messages on this thread to
                the NextRelease list or the OffTopic. (I realize it is on topic
                for NoteTab discussion, but too deep for some and not an issue
                for most on the Basic list.) See my sigline for the NextRelease
                list. You can post suggestions on that list as well as send them
                to feedback@...

                A few other things to check are:

                See if closing the ruler helps if you have it in view. Try
                changing the way you normally close NoteTab such as the Toolbar
                icon instead of the "X" button in the upper right corner. See if
                you have the Snap to feature checked in your mouse options if you
                have a wheel mouse installed.

                FWIW, we often time say NoteTab has an error when in fact if we
                used other programs as much as we do NoteTab, then we would see a
                lot more errors like you are describing. Sometimes, like
                mentioned, it is just a Windows quirk and not much we can do
                about it.

                >Just thought it would be worth pointing out that I have this from
                >time to time. It seems to hit me when I do a File/Open and it
                >crashes me right out. Sometimes I get the runtime error but I
                >don't get thrown. I'm running Win2000 5.00.2195 and Service Pack
                >2. I'll get as much info as I can next time. It normally
                >happens if I've got multiple documents open and I'm giving NTB a
                >good workout..
                >
                >Cheers,
                >
                >- Bob -

                Happy Test'n,