Re: [NTB] Seach on a help screen

  • bryllars@concentric.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2001
      Dear Gail - Welcome to Windows
      It does not permit ordinary word search in its help files
      If you have gone to Index and entered your word - it has to lead off a topic
      to be found. So you sort of have to fish around.
      This is not Notetab's fault. Just a gift from Gates.

      At 09:59 PM 11/27/01 -0800, you wrote:
      >I've already found the topic I'm interested in,
      >but I need to find a specific word on the help
      >screen that my topic search popped up. Who knows
      >how to do this? Thanks
      >Gail

    • Hugo
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2001
        Hi Gail,

        A few months ago I tried to learn how to write a help-file. I used
        NoteTab's 4.85 -I think- Helpfile-contents as input and ended up with
        a NoteTab.chm (html-help) file. This will highlight a search-term in
        your help-windows. It acts a little different when searching (the
        found topics list is not updated while you type), but this could be a
        solution for your problem.

        I have it lying here somewhere - except for the placement of Clipbook
        Programming in the contents window (I find it is too nested in the
        current version) it is identical to the regular help-version. Another
        option is to add favorite topics. I do not know if this help can be
        tied to NoteTab itself.

        If you're interested just mail me in private...

        Hugo

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2001
          Hi Gail and Others,

          I've been down for the count of two days with a nasty bug, so I
          had my computer off during that time. Now, it's catch up time.
          Oh joy! :)

          >I've already found the topic I'm interested in, but I need to
          >find a specific word on the help screen that my topic search
          >popped up. Who knows how to do this?

          I do not know if it is due to one of the new maintenance releases
          coming out soon or a fix in Windows. The search words are now
          highlighted though in the latest (last few in fact) test releases
          of NoteTab at least in WinXP Pro.

          If it is an XP thing, then you can use a pure text file of
          NoteTab's Help file and search it in NoteTab. You can download
          an RTF version and save as TXT from MS Word or any editor that
          can read RTF. The first file below (sm) has all the non-NoteTab
          help specific stuff removed such as Acknowledgements, legal,
          order, history, etc. The large (lg) is the whole Help file.

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486sm.zip <-- The bare essentials.
          http://www.notetab.net/zip/help486lg.zip <-- The works.

        • David McIntosh
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2001
            Hi all
            IF anybody is interested I have a .clp that gives direct access to
            notetab help
            plus to icons as well email me private couple of ex. below

            = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

            H=";"

            H="Introduction"
            ^!Help "" Introduction
            ^!delay 2

            H="Clip Programming"
            ^!Help "" Clip Programming
            ^!delay 2
            ^!keyboard down down down down down down

            H="Clip Language"
            ^!Help "" Clip Language - Introduction

            H=" Clip Language Elements"
            ^!Help "" Clip Language - Introduction