How to load all except *.bak?

  • gail
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2001
      I think I asked this before, but see neither my
      post or any replies, so here it goes again. I
      load NTP with command line parameters. The first
      symbol of the filename designates the group of
      files that I work on together (open together).
      regardless of the extension. When I open #*.*, I
      NTP to open everything except the .bak files. I'd
      prefer to not designate the extensions to load,
      because I use several different ones with NTP. Is
      it possible to give NTP the command to load all
      the files except their bak files? Would a clip
      to unload the *.bak files be a solution?
      Suggestions, please.
      Thank you.
      Gail
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2001
        Hi Gail,

        If they are pretty much the same files all the time you
        could make a Favorites group and use the command-line for
        it. Too tired to think of anything else right now and
        have to be more cautious less JH corrects me. :-) nite...

        >I think I asked this before, but see neither my
        >post or any replies, so here it goes again. I
        >load NTP with command line parameters. The first
        >symbol of the filename designates the group of
        >files that I work on together (open together).
        >regardless of the extension. When I open #*.*, I
        >NTP to open everything except the .bak files. I'd
        >prefer to not designate the extensions to load,
        >because I use several different ones with NTP. Is
        >it possible to give NTP the command to load all
        >the files except their bak files? Would a clip
        >to unload the *.bak files be a solution?
        >Suggestions, please.
        >Thank you.
        >Gail
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 5, 2001
          Another answer, which has nothing to do with NoteTab, would be to make a
          subdirectory called 'bak', then move (not copy) *.bak files in there; that
          way you'll have your .bak files, but loading *.* won't include them.

          > Hi Gail,
          >
          > If they are pretty much the same files all the time you
          > could make a Favorites group and use the command-line for
          > it. Too tired to think of anything else right now and
          > have to be more cautious less JH corrects me. :-) nite...
          >
          > >I think I asked this before, but see neither my
          > >post or any replies, so here it goes again. I
          > >load NTP with command line parameters. The first
          > >symbol of the filename designates the group of
          > >files that I work on together (open together).
          > >regardless of the extension. When I open #*.*, I
          > >NTP to open everything except the .bak files. I'd
          > >prefer to not designate the extensions to load,
          > >because I use several different ones with NTP. Is
          > >it possible to give NTP the command to load all
          > >the files except their bak files? Would a clip
          > >to unload the *.bak files be a solution?
          > >Suggestions, please.
          > >Thank you.
          > >Gail
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Happy NoteTab'n,
          > Jody Adair
          >
          > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          > http://www.notetab.net
          >
          > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 2001
            Gail, Charles, (Jody)
            > > >..... regardless of the extension. When I open #*.*, I
            > > >NTP to open everything except the .bak files. I'd
            > > >prefer to not designate the extensions to load,
            > > >because I use several different ones with NTP....

            The "obvious" answer would be to support regexp notation in the command-line
            open logic.
            eg. Open: "\#*\.[^b][^a][^k]" - unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it won't work
            ;--)
            ?? Maybe next release ??

            --> next part belongs in [NTO] ;--)

            Note: I found a reference (untested as yet) to:
            >>DocCommander file-open enhancer freeware Replaces plain Open/Save windows
            in programs QuickBar panel makes all your favorite folders accessible with
            only one click Powerful File Find tool with wide choice of criterias Smart
            search-by-typing file search with autosuggestion (like address bar in
            InternetExplorer) SuperRecent technology stores links to recently accessed
            documents. You can easily pick up a file you've been using a week or month
            ago! One-click access to system Favorites folder. All your bookmarks and
            links are easily accessible there Available in four European languages Works
            with all versions of Windows including Windows XP!
            http://www.utilityplanet.com/<<

            Maybe it has a facility that could be used to do one-click open once you've
            got Notetab itself up and running?

            Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
              Hi Alec, Gail, Charles, and List members,

              >The "obvious" answer would be to support regexp notation in the command-line
              >open logic.
              >eg. Open: "\#*\.[^b][^a][^k]" - unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it won't work
              >;--)
              >?? Maybe next release ??

              I realize you do not want to list the extensions, but as you
              probably figured out you can use wildcards. From Command-line
              help:

              FileName
              Opens specified file in the editor. File name can also include wildcards. If you want to specify several file names that contain spaces, enclose each name between double quotes, eg.
              NoteTab.exe "c:\program files\MyFile1.txt" "c:\program files\MyFile2.txt"

              So:
              Path\NoteTab.exe "*.txt" "*.*htm*" "*.ini" "*.bat"

              I do not know if this has be mentioned, but you can open a whole
              folder and add the open files to a Favorites group. Next "Go to
              Favorites" and remove the .bak files. You can then use the
              command-line to load the Favorite category.

              A script could be written to open the whole directory and then
              close all .bak files, but I think that might be overkill
              depending on how many files and how big they are that is getting
              loaded.

              See "Favorites Dialog Box" in Help for information with Favorites
              or go to Favorites and press F1 or Help.

            • Julie
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
                Is there a way to select a couple of different types of files to view in
                the Quick List, i.e. only the jpg and gif files in a directory?

                TIA,
                Julie
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Hi Julie,

                  >Is there a way to select a couple of different types of files to
                  >view in the Quick List, i.e. only the jpg and gif files in a
                  >directory?

                  Yes, in the upper small combo box type in the file types:

                  L:\notetab\image\*.jpg;*.gif

                  (Note the asterisk and semi-colon above for the file types.)

                  The path is not too important unless you like to type out paths. ;)

                  You can add the file types right being whatever path may be
                  showing overwriting the existing file type(s). Double click in
                  the box or right click and then click on Browse... Go to the
                  folder that contains the images you want to display in the Quick
                  List. Drag/drop image file to insert as a HTML tag in a HTML
                  document (and likewise with a HTML file.) Note the difference
                  when dropping the "file" into a TXT (actually, any file type that
                  is not HTML) and a HTML file.

                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
                    you wrote:

                    >L:\notetab\image\*.jpg;*.gif

                    I was *so* close... I tried a comma, and a space... didn't think to try a
                    semi-colon.

                    Thanks!
                    Julie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
                      Hi Julie,

                      >>L:\notetab\image\*.jpg;*.gif
                      >
                      >I was *so* close... I tried a comma, and a space... didn't think
                      >to try a semi-colon.

                      Eric uses a semi-colon as a delimiter in some cases (see NoteTab
                      Glossary for definitions). Sometimes it is quotes and a space as
                      in files in a command-line. Sometimes a colon in the command-
                      line to separate a Clipbook:ClipName. Sometimes it is
                      "data";"data" especially in the Clip code.

                      In other words, there is no set rule. There are things Eric
                      needs to follow for everything NoteTab does, so if he made a
                      standard, he would be putting bugs NoteTab. I'm not sure if a
                      ", " with or w/o the quotes and spaces are used, unless predefined
                      in the Clip code. I never paid that close of attention.

                      I always like to see people try what they want to do before asking!

                    • gail
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 7, 2001
                        How does one designate a directory the bak files?
                        Thank you,
                        Gail

                        > Another answer, which has nothing to do with
                        NoteTab, would be to make a
                        > subdirectory called 'bak', then move (not copy)
                        *.bak files in there; that
                        > way you'll have your .bak files, but loading *.*
                        won't include them.

                        > > Hi Gail,
                        > >
                        > > If they are pretty much the same files all the
                        time you
                        > > could make a Favorites group and use the
                        command-line for
                        > > it. Too tired to think of anything else right
                        now and
                        > > have to be more cautious less JH corrects me.
                        :-) nite...

                        > > >I think I asked this before, but see neither
                        my
                        > > >post or any replies, so here it goes again.
                        > > >load NTP with command line parameters. The
                        first
                        > > >symbol of the filename designates the group
                        of
                        > > >files that I work on together (open
                        together).
                        > > >regardless of the extension. When I open
                        #*.*, I
                        > > >NTP to open everything except the .bak files.
                        I'd
                        > > >prefer to not designate the extensions to
                        load,
                        > > >because I use several different ones with
                        NTP. Is
                        > > >it possible to give NTP the command to load
                        all
                        > > >the files except their bak files? Would a
                        clip
                        > > >to unload the *.bak files be a solution?
                        > > >Suggestions, please.
                        > > >Thank you.
                        > > >Gail
                        > > >

                        > > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        > > >
                        > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms
                        of Service.

                        > > Happy NoteTab'n,
                        > > Jody Adair
                        > >
                        > > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                        > > http://www.notetab.net
                        > >
                        > > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                        > > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Lotta
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 8, 2001
                          Hello,

                          Gail wrote:
                          >How does one designate a directory the bak files?

                          One doesn't.

                          Lotta
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 8, 2001
                            Hi Gail,

                            >How does one designate a directory the bak files?

                            I think what you really need to do what you with NoteTab code is
                            to make a Library with a Clip (or a Clip somewhere) in it to move
                            your *.bak files to a folder you want and then the next command
                            would be to Open *.* in your directory of choice. Your command-
                            line would load the Library and execute your Clip. (^!MoveFile,
                            ^!Open, Command-line is what you need, or you could skip the
                            commandline and use ^!Clip and OnOpen to do the move and open
                            Clip). If you need to discuss how to make the Clip please send
                            it to the Clips list. If you read Clip Basics and find the
                            aforementioned Clips, etc. you might be able to figure it out on
                            your on.

                            In version 5 we should be able to designate a folder of choice
                            for the backups. It is one of the more requested features.