Re: [NTB] Re: Selecting a block of text with NoteTab Standard

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
      On 11/4/01 3:41 AM, burale@... wrote:

      > --- In notetab@y..., Daniel Prince <neutrino1@m...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Is it possible to select a block of text in NoteTab Standard?

      > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -1
      > xxxxaaaaaaaaaxxxxx -2
      > xxxxaaaaaaaaaxxxxx -3
      > xxxxaaaaaaaaaxxxxx -4
      > xxxxaaaaaaaaaxxxxx -5
      > xxxxaaaaaaaaaxxxxx -6
      > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -7

      > Position the mouse on the first 'a' in line 2 and then (while
      holding
      > Lclick down move it to the last 'a' in line 6. The
      Highlighting will
      > appear to include ALL of line 3,4 and 5; but if you do a block
      <cut>
      > or <copy> only the 'a's will have been grabbed.
      >
      > Note: if a short line or one with hard 'tabs' in it is
      included in
      > the range - results will be 'disappointing' ;--)
      >
      > You said you were useing 'notetab-std' I haven't got it but per
      > the 'help' I think this should be the same as in PRO
      >
      > Regards ... Alec Burgess

      Hi Daniel and Alec,

      Another way to select a block of text, using the example above,
      is to place the cursor before the top left 'a', depress the Shift
      key, Click the mouse after the bottom right 'a', then use the
      (Cut/Copy Block).

      Again, the highlighting will not indicate only the marked block.
      To paste the block to another location I have better luck using
      the Paste command, I can't get PasteBlock to work as I think it
      should.

      hrs
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2001
        Actually, as I recall from reading the help, the block is selected as the
        column comprised of the text with the left border being where you started
        your highlight, and the right border being where you ended your highlight.
        In my experimenting, this made things trippy, such as:
        aaa
        bb
        cccc
        dd
        In that example, if I start my highlight at the left of 'aaa' and end at
        the right of 'dd', the last 'a' and the last two 'c's will be left out -
        because if you look where the end of the highlight is, it's only 2
        characters wide; anything outside of that is neglected (even if the
        highlight on the screen includes all 4 c's - only the 2 within the Begin and
        End columns will hold).
        Hope this is (somewhat) helpful. ;)

        --Charles