Re: [NTB] Addings numbers in a column with NTS

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2001
      What is between the column entries? Tabs? Yes you can do it. Is there $
      entered in advance? Will you manually enter the numbers and just need to
      position cursor and pause?

      If your file is actually like this:
      EVENT<tab>PROCEEDS<tab>ORGANIZER
      bake sale<tab>$<tab>Sally
      car wash<tab>$<tab>Robert
      10 K run<tab>$<tab>Mary

      and you want to manually enter them, then put your cursor at the top of the
      file, click on search and replace (the small pair of binoculars on the
      toolbar).

      If there are already numbers entered for some and ont others, then Search
      for $^T
      the ^T represents the tab. Clink on find next, type $yournumber^T in the
      lower box, and hit replace. It will automatically find the next one. If
      there are no numbers entered, then you can skip the ^T in both.

      There is undoubtedly an elegant way to do it with clips and variables, buth
      this wasn't posted to the clips list ....

      --
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2001
        Keeping this explanation in mind, and taking a look at another post I
        just made on a similar topic, if you have data:
        > EVENT PROCEEDS ORGANIZER
        > bake sale $423 Sally
        > car wash $1245 Robert
        > 10 K run $257 Mary
        And you highlight starting with the 4 in 423 and drag down to the end of
        7 in 257, something happens that you don't want - the 5 in 1245 will *not*
        be included. The selected block (sorry to repeat myself, but in case people
        are only looking for subject lines) is contained within the area whose
        left-most boundary will be where the highlight starts, and right-most
        boundary will be where the highlight ends; therefore, unless you include a
        space at the end of 257, or unless you write it as $0257, the 5 in 1245 will
        not be included, because it is outside of the drawn borders.
        Upon reflection, I hope I didn't screw up my left and right in the

        --Charles