I knew nothing

  • judybutland
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2001
      A week ago, I sent a message headed "I know nothing". Thanks to several
      very helpful replies, I am now up and running. But, my underlying
      problem was not answered directly by anyone, so I thought it might me
      useful for me to put it on the record.

      I asked "How can I start experimenting with programming in NoteTab?"

      I found clear documentation on
      * how to create clips
      * the programming language
      * how to incorporate programs in clips
      * how to copy clips into documents

      What I could not find was anything that mentioned how and when the
      programs in clips are executed. The answer, which I found out by trying
      out exercises is that:

      Any program incorporated in a clip is executed when the clip is copied
      into a document.

      If this is wrong, please put me right.
      If everybody in the universe except me thinks this is blindingly
      obvious, forgive me for wasting your time.

      Judy
    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2001
        judybutland <judybutland@...> wrote:
        >Any program incorporated in a clip is executed when the clip is copied
        >into a document.

        Hm, you don't copy clips into documents. You start them (not to sure about
        templates never worked with it). You start them for several reasons:
        - to insert text
        - to do something which you have programmed
        - both

        Clips are like Macros in Officeprodcts. You use them to ease your working.

        They are executed when you tell them to.
        - by doubleclicking on the clipwindow
        - if you're desired clip is highlighted and you press ctrl-space
        - when you press Escape and type the first letters and then press enter
        - if you have made a button on the clipbar and click this
        - when called from another clip

        They don't automagically start sometime. :o)
        Better`?

        Nicole

        --
        »What's this for?« Dust Puppy (being hugged by A.J.)
        »It's for all of the people who can't do this anymore.« A.J. (crying)
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2001
          Hi Judy,

          >Any program incorporated in a clip is executed when the clip is
          >copied into a document.
          >
          >If this is wrong, please put me right.
          >If everybody in the universe except me thinks this is blindingly
          >obvious, forgive me for wasting your time.

          I think it is only obvious to those who have done it before or
          read "Use the Editor Clipbook" or "Clip Basics" that says to
          double click on a Clip and perhaps some other sections of Help.
          However, it is just a single sentence and can be overlooked if
          one is not reading closely. (If you look in View | Options |
          Clipbook you can check the feature "Single click to Execute" in
          order to only have to single click to run/execute a Clip.)

          Like Nicole mentioned you can execute a Clip that is focused in
          the Clipbook by pressing Alt+Spacebar; you can also press Enter
          when a Clip is highlighted. I suppose you could say Clips perform
          two main functions and a third being a mixture of the first two.
          A Clip can simply paste text into a focused document, run scripts
          to achieve many tasks like little mini programs, or do both at
          the same time.

        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2001
            Jody,

            At 10:51 AM 11/3/01 -0600, you wrote:
            >Hi Judy,
            >

            >Like Nicole mentioned you can execute a Clip that is focused in
            >the Clipbook by pressing Alt+Spacebar;

            Just a minor correction to eliminate confusion, and I know that your brain
            had a run time error and failed to properly engage fingers this time
            because you have typed it correctly at least 1000 times before. :-)))

            Nicole correctly said "- if your desired clip is highlighted and you press
            ctrl-space". (meaning Ctrl+Spacebar.)

            As we all know, Alt+Spacebar pulls down the TitleBar Menu, the one that we
            all forget even exists. :-)

            Regards,

            Jim