Re: [NTB] Fonts

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi Donna,

      If you downloaded a file from MS with the Georgia font in it or a
      package so to speak with a few files in it, you should just hav3e
      to double click on the file and it should ask if you want to
      install the fonts. (For some reason "core fonts" is coming to
      mind, but do not worry about it if it does not ring a bell.)

      Fonts do not go in NoteTab's folder structure. NoteTab just
      lists all the fonts that Pro or Std/Light uses found in the
      Windows Fonts folder.

      The following is some help and off topic about how to read drive
      paths. I hope I made it simple enough and clear enough for you.
      If you need to reply to it, please post on the NoteTab Off-Topic
      List. The sign-up eMail address is in my sigline.

      When you see a disk path like C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ (note the letter
      in front and the backslashes) it is sort of like an address. That
      is, it is a specific location on your hard drive. My guess is
      you only have an A:\, C:\, and probably a D:\ drive.

      A:\ is your floppy drive.
      C:\ is your main drive with your programs and files for Windows
      to be run.
      D:\ is your CD drive that you insert CD-ROMs into. The CD-ROM
      drive will increase in the alphabet if you section off your C:\
      drive into smaller sections so to speak known as partitions.
      (They can be compared to the partitions used in large offices to
      make sections/dividers for certain employees.)

      The text you see after the drive designation is called a
      directory (or folder) in most cases, but the text may be a file
      in what is called the root directory, having no directories. For
      example: C:\FRUNLOG.TXT.

      You read the disk path front left to right. Think of it as a
      file system or an outline. Your C:\ drive has a lot of
      directories on it. They are listed in alphabetical order. Each
      directory can have several sub-directories.

      So, given the drive path, "C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\," you go into
      Windows Explorer or My Computer and locate your C:\ drive. Click
      on it and depending on your configuration you will see a number
      of folders listed, possibly on the right side, a new window might
      pop up, or you will see a bunch of folders and a few files after
      them. You should see a folder called Windows. Click on it
      (noting that it is the first folder in the path you are going
      to). When the Windows folder opens, look for the Fonts folder.
      That is where your fonts reside. If I remember correctly Win95
      also had a few fonts in the Windows folder.

      >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no
      >font directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense.
      >I tried adding it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't
      >work. Next I went to the Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there
      >is no font list to add it to. DEB

      Happy Topics,
      Jody

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
    • Rick Friedline
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        At 04:56 PM 11/1/01, Donna Bluemink wrote:

        >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no font
        >directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense. I tried
        >adding
        >it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't work. Next I went
        >to the
        >Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there is no font list to add it
        >to. DEB

        Hi Donna,

        I'm not Jody, but ... you can only use fixed-width fonts in Pro.
        Georgia is a proportional width font, so it will not be available under
        choices in Document|Font.

        I use Andale Mono as my font for Pro.

        NTLight CAN use proportional fonts - I know, it sounds like a
        contradiction.

        HTH

        Rick

      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
          Hi Donna,

          > > >Is it possible to add other fixed fonts to Note Tab pro. I'm
          > > >using the trial version at the moment and do not like the font
          > > >selection. DEB
          > >
          > > If it is a true fixed width font, yes, you can. Just add it where
          > > your other fixed fonts are at. You might have to restart NoteTab.

          In your desire to use Georgia, you missed this VITAL bit in Jody's
          response!

          The Georgia font that I know is plainly not a "true fixed width font".
          So you are probably asking the impossible.

          The current version of NOTETAB PRO ONLY WORKS WITH FIXED WIDTH FONTS.

          If you have the font installed in Windows and it is fixed width then
          it will show up as available to NOTETAB PRO.

          Greg
        • Donna Bluemink
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
            Rick, Your answer said what I needed to know. Georgia font works best on my
            online site but I was never told it was not fixed, just that it workd better
            than all the others that I tried from Word Perfect's selection. Thanks. DEB

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
              Hi Donna,

              >Georgia font works best on my online site but I was never told it
              >was not fixed, just that it workd better than all the others that
              >I tried from Word Perfect's selection.

              Variable width fonts will work in all (or at least most) places
              in NoteTab Pro except the document edit window. Pro will also
              print in variable width fonts. I suggest that you check to see
              if the Georgia font is a standard issue with Windows. If not,
              and you use it on your web pages, it may be best to reconsider
              unless you just want to do it for yourself and the people that
              happen to have it installed on their computer. Browsers use the
              fonts from the visitors computer to view the web page. If the
              font is not installed, then the page will be displayed in
              whatever the default font is. In other words, your page that you
              view may look different or perhaps a bit messed up if you do not
              use a standard font. I took these out of NoteTab's HTML | Font
              Clip. (Thanks Greg. ;)

              Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif
              Times New Roman, Times, Serif
              Courier New, Courier
              Wingding, Symbol
              Comic Sans MS
              Impact
              Lucida
              Palatino
              Verdana

              The HTML discussion list address is in my signature line if you
              are interested in joining it.

              Happy HTML'n!

              The NoteTab and Html List...