Re: [NTB] Fonts

  • Donna Bluemink
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no font
      directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense. I tried adding
      it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't work. Next I went to the
      Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there is no font list to add it to. DEB

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi Donna,

        If you downloaded a file from MS with the Georgia font in it or a
        package so to speak with a few files in it, you should just hav3e
        to double click on the file and it should ask if you want to
        install the fonts. (For some reason "core fonts" is coming to
        mind, but do not worry about it if it does not ring a bell.)

        Fonts do not go in NoteTab's folder structure. NoteTab just
        lists all the fonts that Pro or Std/Light uses found in the
        Windows Fonts folder.

        The following is some help and off topic about how to read drive
        paths. I hope I made it simple enough and clear enough for you.
        If you need to reply to it, please post on the NoteTab Off-Topic
        List. The sign-up eMail address is in my sigline.

        When you see a disk path like C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ (note the letter
        in front and the backslashes) it is sort of like an address. That
        is, it is a specific location on your hard drive. My guess is
        you only have an A:\, C:\, and probably a D:\ drive.

        A:\ is your floppy drive.
        C:\ is your main drive with your programs and files for Windows
        to be run.
        D:\ is your CD drive that you insert CD-ROMs into. The CD-ROM
        drive will increase in the alphabet if you section off your C:\
        drive into smaller sections so to speak known as partitions.
        (They can be compared to the partitions used in large offices to
        make sections/dividers for certain employees.)

        The text you see after the drive designation is called a
        directory (or folder) in most cases, but the text may be a file
        in what is called the root directory, having no directories. For
        example: C:\FRUNLOG.TXT.

        You read the disk path front left to right. Think of it as a
        file system or an outline. Your C:\ drive has a lot of
        directories on it. They are listed in alphabetical order. Each
        directory can have several sub-directories.

        So, given the drive path, "C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\," you go into
        Windows Explorer or My Computer and locate your C:\ drive. Click
        on it and depending on your configuration you will see a number
        of folders listed, possibly on the right side, a new window might
        pop up, or you will see a bunch of folders and a few files after
        them. You should see a folder called Windows. Click on it
        (noting that it is the first folder in the path you are going
        to). When the Windows folder opens, look for the Fonts folder.
        That is where your fonts reside. If I remember correctly Win95
        also had a few fonts in the Windows folder.

        >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no
        >font directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense.
        >I tried adding it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't
        >work. Next I went to the Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there
        >is no font list to add it to. DEB

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
          At 04:56 PM 11/1/01, Donna Bluemink wrote:

          >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no font
          >directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense. I tried
          >adding
          >it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't work. Next I went
          >to the
          >Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there is no font list to add it
          >to. DEB

          Hi Donna,

          I'm not Jody, but ... you can only use fixed-width fonts in Pro.
          Georgia is a proportional width font, so it will not be available under
          choices in Document|Font.

          I use Andale Mono as my font for Pro.

          NTLight CAN use proportional fonts - I know, it sounds like a
          contradiction.

          HTH

          Rick

        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
            Hi Donna,

            > > >Is it possible to add other fixed fonts to Note Tab pro. I'm
            > > >using the trial version at the moment and do not like the font
            > > >selection. DEB
            > >
            > > If it is a true fixed width font, yes, you can. Just add it where
            > > your other fixed fonts are at. You might have to restart NoteTab.

            In your desire to use Georgia, you missed this VITAL bit in Jody's
            response!

            The Georgia font that I know is plainly not a "true fixed width font".
            So you are probably asking the impossible.

            The current version of NOTETAB PRO ONLY WORKS WITH FIXED WIDTH FONTS.

            If you have the font installed in Windows and it is fixed width then
            it will show up as available to NOTETAB PRO.

            Greg
          • Donna Bluemink
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
              Rick, Your answer said what I needed to know. Georgia font works best on my
              online site but I was never told it was not fixed, just that it workd better
              than all the others that I tried from Word Perfect's selection. Thanks. DEB

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
                Hi Donna,

                >Georgia font works best on my online site but I was never told it
                >was not fixed, just that it workd better than all the others that
                >I tried from Word Perfect's selection.

                Variable width fonts will work in all (or at least most) places
                in NoteTab Pro except the document edit window. Pro will also
                print in variable width fonts. I suggest that you check to see
                if the Georgia font is a standard issue with Windows. If not,
                and you use it on your web pages, it may be best to reconsider
                unless you just want to do it for yourself and the people that
                happen to have it installed on their computer. Browsers use the
                fonts from the visitors computer to view the web page. If the
                font is not installed, then the page will be displayed in
                whatever the default font is. In other words, your page that you
                view may look different or perhaps a bit messed up if you do not
                use a standard font. I took these out of NoteTab's HTML | Font
                Clip. (Thanks Greg. ;)

                Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif
                Times New Roman, Times, Serif
                Courier New, Courier
                Wingding, Symbol
                Comic Sans MS
                Impact
                Lucida
                Palatino
                Verdana

                The HTML discussion list address is in my signature line if you
                are interested in joining it.

                Happy HTML'n!

                The NoteTab and Html List...