Re: [NTB] Fonts

  • Donna Bluemink
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
      Dear Jody, It is not readily evident just how to add a new font as there is
      no folder for the fonts. Is the trial version more limited than the "bought"
      version? DEB
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi Donna,

        >Dear Jody, It is not readily evident just how to add a new font
        >as there is no folder for the fonts. Is the trial version more
        >limited than the "bought" version? DEB

        Fonts go with your other fonts. Try:

        C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ for Win95/98. I assume it is the same for other
        Windows versions, or close to it.

        No, except for a dictionary and thesaurus comes with the
        registered version.

      • Donna Bluemink
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
          Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no font
          directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense. I tried adding
          it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't work. Next I went to the
          Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there is no font list to add it to. DEB

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
            Hi Donna,

            If you downloaded a file from MS with the Georgia font in it or a
            package so to speak with a few files in it, you should just hav3e
            to double click on the file and it should ask if you want to
            install the fonts. (For some reason "core fonts" is coming to
            mind, but do not worry about it if it does not ring a bell.)

            Fonts do not go in NoteTab's folder structure. NoteTab just
            lists all the fonts that Pro or Std/Light uses found in the
            Windows Fonts folder.

            The following is some help and off topic about how to read drive
            paths. I hope I made it simple enough and clear enough for you.
            If you need to reply to it, please post on the NoteTab Off-Topic
            List. The sign-up eMail address is in my sigline.

            When you see a disk path like C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ (note the letter
            in front and the backslashes) it is sort of like an address. That
            is, it is a specific location on your hard drive. My guess is
            you only have an A:\, C:\, and probably a D:\ drive.

            A:\ is your floppy drive.
            C:\ is your main drive with your programs and files for Windows
            to be run.
            D:\ is your CD drive that you insert CD-ROMs into. The CD-ROM
            drive will increase in the alphabet if you section off your C:\
            drive into smaller sections so to speak known as partitions.
            (They can be compared to the partitions used in large offices to
            make sections/dividers for certain employees.)

            The text you see after the drive designation is called a
            directory (or folder) in most cases, but the text may be a file
            in what is called the root directory, having no directories. For
            example: C:\FRUNLOG.TXT.

            You read the disk path front left to right. Think of it as a
            file system or an outline. Your C:\ drive has a lot of
            directories on it. They are listed in alphabetical order. Each
            directory can have several sub-directories.

            So, given the drive path, "C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\," you go into
            Windows Explorer or My Computer and locate your C:\ drive. Click
            on it and depending on your configuration you will see a number
            of folders listed, possibly on the right side, a new window might
            pop up, or you will see a bunch of folders and a few files after
            them. You should see a folder called Windows. Click on it
            (noting that it is the first folder in the path you are going
            to). When the Windows folder opens, look for the Fonts folder.
            That is where your fonts reside. If I remember correctly Win95
            also had a few fonts in the Windows folder.

            >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no
            >font directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense.
            >I tried adding it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't
            >work. Next I went to the Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there
            >is no font list to add it to. DEB

            Happy Topics,
            Jody

            The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          • Rick Friedline
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
              At 04:56 PM 11/1/01, Donna Bluemink wrote:

              >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no font
              >directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense. I tried
              >adding
              >it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't work. Next I went
              >to the
              >Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there is no font list to add it
              >to. DEB

              Hi Donna,

              I'm not Jody, but ... you can only use fixed-width fonts in Pro.
              Georgia is a proportional width font, so it will not be available under
              choices in Document|Font.

              I use Andale Mono as my font for Pro.

              NTLight CAN use proportional fonts - I know, it sounds like a
              contradiction.

              HTH

              Rick

            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
                Hi Donna,

                > > >Is it possible to add other fixed fonts to Note Tab pro. I'm
                > > >using the trial version at the moment and do not like the font
                > > >selection. DEB
                > >
                > > If it is a true fixed width font, yes, you can. Just add it where
                > > your other fixed fonts are at. You might have to restart NoteTab.

                In your desire to use Georgia, you missed this VITAL bit in Jody's
                response!

                The Georgia font that I know is plainly not a "true fixed width font".
                So you are probably asking the impossible.

                The current version of NOTETAB PRO ONLY WORKS WITH FIXED WIDTH FONTS.

                If you have the font installed in Windows and it is fixed width then
                it will show up as available to NOTETAB PRO.

                Greg
              • Donna Bluemink
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
                  Rick, Your answer said what I needed to know. Georgia font works best on my
                  online site but I was never told it was not fixed, just that it workd better
                  than all the others that I tried from Word Perfect's selection. Thanks. DEB

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
                    Hi Donna,

                    >Georgia font works best on my online site but I was never told it
                    >was not fixed, just that it workd better than all the others that
                    >I tried from Word Perfect's selection.

                    Variable width fonts will work in all (or at least most) places
                    in NoteTab Pro except the document edit window. Pro will also
                    print in variable width fonts. I suggest that you check to see
                    if the Georgia font is a standard issue with Windows. If not,
                    and you use it on your web pages, it may be best to reconsider
                    unless you just want to do it for yourself and the people that
                    happen to have it installed on their computer. Browsers use the
                    fonts from the visitors computer to view the web page. If the
                    font is not installed, then the page will be displayed in
                    whatever the default font is. In other words, your page that you
                    view may look different or perhaps a bit messed up if you do not
                    use a standard font. I took these out of NoteTab's HTML | Font
                    Clip. (Thanks Greg. ;)

                    Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif
                    Times New Roman, Times, Serif
                    Courier New, Courier
                    Wingding, Symbol
                    Comic Sans MS
                    Impact
                    Lucida
                    Palatino
                    Verdana

                    The HTML discussion list address is in my signature line if you
                    are interested in joining it.

                    Happy HTML'n!

                    The NoteTab and Html List...