Re: [NTB] I know nothing

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2001
      Hi Judy,

      >I have been programming since the 1960s and have just moved from
      >WindowsNT to Windows XP....I downloaded
      >NoteTab Light and found it a completely satisfactory solution for
      >my editing needs. But I also found all this stuff about 'Clips'
      >and 'Templates' which sounds potentially useful to me too. I have
      >spent 2 days hunting through the Help system, but cannot find
      >enough fundamental information about programming to enable me to
      >apply it.

      >Q1. How can I start experimenting with programming in NoteTab?

      Check out the Clips list for discussion on Clips (see below).
      Look at some of the code in NoteTab's Libraries such as
      SampleCode and Utilities. Also see Help under Clip Language -
      Introduction, Clip Basics, and Create Clipbook Libraries.

      You can download the Clip Class from the following link. Be sure
      to read the Introduction. Open ClipClass.clb and then click on
      the Clip Class Outline Clip to open the Outline. It may be a
      little slow for you, but it will get you started and some of the
      references it mentions.

      All the contents of the zip file go in NoteTab's Libraries folder:
      http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

      NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips

      Some extra information on the Clipbar and basics of making a
      Library, a Clip, and how to edit one is at this link:

      http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm

      >Q2. If I bought NoteTab Std or NoteTab Pro, would I get anything
      >extra that I need? I am not interested in a thesaurus or
      >spellchecker in any language, and I do not know whether I need
      >ClipBars. e.g. Is there a tutorial or other additional
      >documentation?

      There is no tutorial. If you want to edit Outlines, you would
      want to register. You can do it manually, but it is a bit of
      work considering the price of registering. ;) The CD has some
      extra stuff, but most of it can be gathered from the web on
      different pages.

      You can order NoteTab Std or NoteTab Pro on CD from:

      NoteTab's homepage:
      http://www.notetab.com/order.htm

      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page:
      http://www.notetab.net/order

      Write me at mailto:Jody@... if you are interested in the
      contents of the CD.

      >Q3. What is boilerplate text?

      http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/b/boilerplate.html

      boilerplate Last modified: September 1, 1997

      Text or graphics elements designed to be used over and over. For
      example, you could create a boilerplate for a fax message that
      contains all the standard fax information that doesn't change,
      such as your name, address, and phone number. Then whenever you
      want to create a new fax, you need only insert the boilerplate
      rather than retyping the information.

      A boilerplate is similar to a template, but whereas a template
      holds layout and style information, a boilerplate contains actual
      text or graphics. Many applications, however, combine the two
      concepts.