Re: [NTB] MS Word -> Front Page 2000 -> NoteTab?

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2001
      Hi Stephen, Brian, Scott and Others,

      >I'll aggree with Brian in that MS Word creates HTML...

      Thanks for replying to Brian's message. However :-), please
      continue the topic on the Off Topic List if discussing other
      software than NoteTab or software it supports. If it is
      discussion of HTML Tidy, then the HTML list would be appropriate
      and also to help in getting CSEValidator installed. See Help
      under Third Party Products for some general information on the
      two products above and more.

      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List

      The NoteTab and Html List

      The NoteTab Clips List

      Others

      >One of the easiest ways to fix the MS Word stuff is to download
      >and configure HTMLTidy from the W3C (http://www.w3c.org),

      http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

    • Brian Mailman
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 26, 2001
        Jody wrote:

        > Hi Stephen, Brian, Scott and Others,
        >
        > Thanks for replying to Brian's message. However :-), please
        > continue the topic on the Off Topic List if discussing other
        > software than NoteTab or software it supports.

        Hi, and thanks for the responses since it does seem to validate what I
        was told.

        But... I didn't mean to drag it offtopic by explaining what it was I was
        asking about; I thought to save a lot of back-and-forth bandwidth by
        saying upfront why I was doing what I was doing (or thought I should be
        doing).

        My intent was not to discuss MS Word or other products besides NoteTab.
        I guess the short question, which I suppose was hidden in all the
        verbiage, is this:

        If I import the .html files into NoteTab for their editing, is NoteTab
        the kind of ASCII editor that would take out the 'hidden' codes that
        seem to have been put into them?" (as for example, copying a web page on
        the screen into the Windows Clipboard will remove the formatting and
        just leave the plain ASCII)?

        I'm not asking about HTML Tidy or HTML itself; the files in my site are
        99.99% text so correcting the coding in that manner isn't necessary; I
        just want to use NoteTab to remove the codes that I can't see (and I
        don't have Word; but thanks for looking up that tool).

        B/
      • Stephen Riddle
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 26, 2001
          Hi Brian,
          (We are stray sheep in search of a shephard.)

          > But... I didn't mean to drag it offtopic by explaining what it w

          > If I import the .html files into NoteTab for their editing, is NoteTab
          > the kind of ASCII editor that would take out the 'hidden' codes that
          > seem to have been put into them?" (as for example, copying a web page on
          > the screen into the Windows Clipboard will remove the formatting and
          > just leave the plain ASCII)?

          This is exactly what NoteTab is for. As a plain-text editor, it keeps
          all the tags already there, just as if you had selected "View Source" in
          your web browser.

          Take care,
          Stephen
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 27, 2001
            Hi Brian,

            >If I import the .html files into NoteTab for their editing, is
            >NoteTab the kind of ASCII editor that would take out the 'hidden'
            >codes that seem to have been put into them?"

            Yes, as Stephen (?) mentioned. That is exactly what the HTML
            side of NoteTab is all about. If you really want to clean it up
            since you are not doing much formatting at all it appears, do the
            .doc to .htm conversion and open the file in NoteTab. Select all
            the text (Ctrl+A), then go to Modify | Strip HTML Tags... Click
            on Modify | Document to HTML and then No Character Conversion.
            You will have a neatly formatted source code then. You can also
            run Tidy HTML from the Tools menu once you install it - see Help
            for HTML Tidy. You can edit the formatting of the Document to
            HTML a bit in the Internet tab in Options.

            >I'm not asking about HTML Tidy or HTML itself; the files in my
            >site are 99.99% text so correcting the coding in that manner
            >isn't necessary; I just want to use NoteTab to remove the codes
            >that I can't see (and I don't have Word; but thanks for looking
            >up that tool).

            We normally discuss HTML issues on the NoteTab & HTML list, Clips
            on the Clips List, OffTopic (software, hardware, NoteTab, some
            chit chat, and other computer related issues. We try to leave
            the Basic List reserved for the very basics and use of NoteTab,
            more or less its main features (excluding Clip code, RegExp,
            Perl, and so on...) This post, the above anyway is obviously for
            the HTML List. That way, "newbies" can have a list that they can
            get something out of rather flying way over their head at mach
            10. ;) We normally try to report suspected bugs for NoteTab and
            the NoteTab Next Release list.

          • Brian Mailman
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 27, 2001
              Stephen Riddle wrote:

              > Hi Brian,
              > (We are stray sheep in search of a shephard.)

              Sometimes I feel more like an adjective in search of a noun :)

              > This is exactly what NoteTab is for. As a plain-text editor, it keeps
              > all the tags already there, just as if you had selected "View Source" in
              > your web browser.

              OK!! Thanks. Appreciate the answer. _That's_ part of what I was
              asking I guess w/o knowing it--as a subquestion, whether or not I'd see
              the crufty tags.

              B/
            • Brian Mailman
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 27, 2001
                Jody wrote:

                > Hi Brian,
                >
                > >If I import the .html files into NoteTab for their editing, is
                > >NoteTab the kind of ASCII editor that would take out the 'hidden'
                > >codes that seem to have been put into them?"
                >
                > Yes, as Stephen (?) mentioned. That is exactly what the HTML
                > side of NoteTab is all about.

                Goodgoodgood.

                > If you really want to clean it up
                > since you are not doing much formatting at all it appears, do the
                > .doc to .htm conversion and open the file in NoteTab. Select all
                > the text (Ctrl+A), then go to Modify | Strip HTML Tags... Click
                > on Modify | Document to HTML and then No Character Conversion.
                > You will have a neatly formatted source code then.

                I will try that later today. Thanks.

                > >I'm not asking about HTML Tidy or HTML itself...

                > We normally discuss HTML issues on the NoteTab & HTML list, Clips
                > on the Clips List, OffTopic (software, hardware, NoteTab, some
                > chit chat, and other computer related issues.

                I can certainly understand the need for separation of topics.

                > We try to leave the Basic List reserved for the very basics and use of NoteTab,
                > more or less its main features (excluding Clip code, RegExp,
                > Perl, and so on...)

                This is not the Basic List?

                > This post, the above anyway is obviously for the HTML
                > That way, "newbies" can have a list that they can get something
                > out of rather flying way over their head at mach 10. ;)

                Rather--most of what I read here is extremely over my head. I don't
                even know what a "RegExp" is but was hoping to catch on to it by
                conotation eventually.

                I'm confused here--you can write to me privately if defining this is
                beyond the scope of this list--I thought this question wasn't about HTML
                per se but abut _basic_ functioning of NoteTab?

                Sorry to be so painful; thanks for your patience since it seems I'm
                venturing where angels fear to tread...

                B/
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 28, 2001
                  Hi Brian,

                  I'm sorry for the late reply...

                  >> We try to leave the Basic List reserved for the very basics and
                  >> use of NoteTab, more or less its main features (excluding Clip
                  >> code, RegExp, Perl, and so on...)
                  >
                  >This is not the Basic List?

                  Yes, it is.

                  >> This post, the above anyway is obviously for the HTML
                  >> That way, "newbies" can have a list that they can get something
                  >> out of rather flying way over their head at mach 10. ;)
                  >
                  >Rather--most of what I read here is extremely over my head. I
                  >don't even know what a "RegExp" is but was hoping to catch on to
                  >it by conotation eventually.

                  I'm sorry! I suppose it is one of those things that if you never
                  heard of it, then it most likely does not pertain to you. :-) I
                  use RegExp for short: regular expressions. You can look up the
                  definition from Help | NoteTab Glossary.

                  >I'm confused here--you can write to me privately if defining this
                  >is beyond the scope of this list--I thought this question wasn't
                  >about HTML per se but abut _basic_ functioning of NoteTab?

                  I was explaining the differences in the lists for the most part.
                  It is true that there are a number of HTML related features and
                  some of them would be considered basic. That is why I replied
                  with how to strip the HTML and turn right around and convert the
                  text to HTML again. When I replied I feared that the thread was
                  going to be about other products and then start in with a lot of
                  HTML. That is why I was trying to revert it to the NoteTab and
                  HTML List. I hope that makes some kind of sense to you.

                  >Sorry to be so painful; thanks for your patience since it seems
                  >I'm venturing where angels fear to tread...

                  haha - no problem, you are not being a pain.

                  Happy HTML'n!

                  The NoteTab and Html List...