Re: [NTB] new member here and some questions

  • Editions Magnificat
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
      >Also, when I make something within ntl..when I go to preview ..it freezes up
      >and I have to shut everything down..any ideas why?? thanks..marion_h

      Hello,
      I had the same problem using Windows ME that came installed on my new
      computer. Never had that problem before. The problem was caused by some
      conflict between IE and Netscape.

      Jody gave me the following advice:
      >You might try installing our latest upgrade and starting NoteTab
      >from the commandline using a new feature to tell NoteTab not to
      >use DDE when launching files to open in your browser. Our latest
      >version of NoteTab is 4.86 and it is a free for you:
      >NoteTab Pro v4.86 (Pro)
      >http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm
      >http://www.fookes.com/ftp/wrapper/ntp486wp.exe
      >http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm
      >An example of using DDE from the command-line is: is inserting
      >the following in your Windows Start | Run field. (You need to
      >change the path if you installed NoteTab elsewhere.
      >"C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /dde=false
      >You can use the something similar in a shortcut.
      > From Help:
      >/DDE=True/False
      >By default, NoteTab uses DDE to communicate with the Internet
      >Explorer, Netscape, and Opera browsers. However, on some faulty
      >systems (notably Windows ME), DDE calls can cause a system crash.
      >To avoid such crashes, you can disable the DDE feature by using
      >the /DDE=False switch. If you want to re-enable DDE at a later
      >stage, use the /DDE=True switch. It is only necessary to use this
      >switch once as the setting is remembered across NoteTab sessions.
      >DDE is an acronym for Dynamic Data Exchange, an interprocess
      >communication system built into Windows. DDE enables two running
      >applications to share the same data. For example, DDE makes it
      >possible to load a new page in a browser from Album Express without
      >executing a second instance of the browser.
      >The switch is essentially for Windows ME users. Some ME systems have
      >a glitch that cause software to hang when a DDE communication is
      >initiated.

      It didn't seem to completely solve my problem. But I did notice one thing:
      IF I FIRST LAUNCHED IE AND CONNECTED AT LEAST ONCE TO INTERNET, then it
      would not crash anymore doing a preview, even if disconnected from the
      Internet.

      Finally, I got rid of the whole problem after I installed NetCaptor.

      I want to take this occasion to thank Jody for his advice and for
      introducing me to this dynamic newslist and to NetCaptor.

      Sister Janice

      http://magnificat.ca/

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
        Hi Marion,

        Hopefully, both your questions are addressed below...

        >was wondering if anyone knew of a good tutorial on how to make
        >your own library in notetab..I am using ntl....

        You can download my Clip Class from the following link and it
        will walk you through, Getting Started (which is a web page with
        a number of images displaying different parts of NoteTab that
        deals with Clipbooks), making a Library, adding Clips, and
        editing Clips, on to more difficult Clips. Be sure to read the
        Introduction also. Open ClipClass.clb and then click on the
        ClipClass Outline Clip to open the Outline.

        All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries folder.
        http://www.notetab.net/clipclass/clipclass.zip

        The NoteTab ClipClass List
        mailto:ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        You can also sign up for the Clips list to get answers to Clip
        questions, but please do not post there concerning the class, but
        rather the ClipClass list mentioned above and in the in the
        ClipClass Outline. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

        You can also sign up for the Clips list to get answers to Clip
        questions. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips

        >Also, when I make something within ntl..when I go to preview ..it
        >freezes up and I have to shut everything down..any ideas why??
        >thanks..marion_h

        You might try installing our latest upgrade and starting NoteTab
        from the commandline using a new feature to tell NoteTab not to use
        DDE when launching files to open in your browser.

        An example is inserting the following in your Windows Start | Run
        field. (You need to change the path if you installed NoteTab
        eslewhere.

        "C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /dde=false

        From Help:
[...]

      • Marion Heikkila
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
          thanks jody..and the others who sent the info...its greatly appreciated..

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
            Hi Marion & Sister Janice,

            >> Also, when I make something within ntl..when I go to preview
            >> ..it freezes up and I have to shut everything down..any ideas
            >> why?? thanks..marion_h

            Please let me know if the dde= command-line mentioned (in v4.86)
            fixes your WinME freeze ups. It was specifically added for WinME
            users due to a problem in that OS. mailto:Jody@...
            Thanks! (Or any other user of WinME that has tried the new
            feature to fix the problem. Not all WinME machines seem to have
            it, so unless you are having problems with View in Browser, I
            would not "fix" it. ;)

            >I had the same problem using Windows ME that came installed on my
            >new computer. Never had that problem before. The problem was
            >caused by some conflict between IE and Netscape.
            >
            >It didn't seem to completely solve my problem. But I did notice
            >one thing: IF I FIRST LAUNCHED IE AND CONNECTED AT LEAST ONCE TO
            >INTERNET, then it would not crash anymore doing a preview, even
            >if disconnected from the Internet.

            That is odd, at least to me that you would need to connect and
            launch at least once and it started working.

            >Finally, I got rid of the whole problem after I installed NetCaptor.
            >
            >I want to take this occasion to thank Jody for his advice and for
            >introducing me to this dynamic newslist and to NetCaptor.

            Thank you! If you love NoteTab, you got to love NetCaptor; if
            for nothing else, the tabbed interface. ;) See Help under "Third
            Party Products."