Re: [NTB] Re: Replacing Notepad in Win2K & WinXP (Update)

  • J.E.HALL
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
      Steve,

      At 09:30 PM 10/4/01 +0000, you wrote:

      >Jim Hall wrote:
      >
      > > ... As of Version 4.86 this is the only file that
      > > must be MANUALLY renamed/deleted. Whether you
      > > rename it or delete it is not important since once
      > > that you do either it is a done deal and will not
      > > cause you any more problems. ...
      >
      >So, just to clarify for me:
      >
      >Now that I've already invoked NoteTab Pro's "Replace MS
      >Notepad..." function off the Help menu, all that remains for
      >me to do is to manually rename
      >
      > C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe to Notepad.exe.ms
      >
      >and then to wait for and to respond to the two resulting
      >Windows File Protection prompts by clicking "Cancel" and
      >"YES", respectively.
      >
      >Do I have that right? Is there anything more I'd need to
      >do?

      Actually right now the "Replace MS Notepad" won't stick, it will revert back

      UNTIL you rename the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe file.

      After it is renamed you can REPLACE/RESTORE as you like, "Just like the
      book says" :-)

      Regards,

      Jim

    • Nick Noakes
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
        OK help me out here, please. I have Win2KPro but I do not have a dllcache
        folder under system32 (and MS Explorer is set to show hidden files and
        folders).

        Nick

        >Actually right now the "Replace MS Notepad" won't stick, it will revert back
        >
        >UNTIL you rename the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe file.
        >
        >After it is renamed you can REPLACE/RESTORE as you like, "Just like the
        >book says" :-)
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >Jim

        Nick Noakes
        Language Centre
        Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
        Email: lcnoakes@...
      • Nick Noakes

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
            I don't know about Win2K, but I am running WinXP (RC2,
            purchased over the net) and as far as I can remember,
            all I did was hit the "Replace MS Notepad" in the Help
            menu. And has been working fine.

            It has been a couple of months since I did this but, I
            do believe that is all I did and NotePro is working
            find with WinXP.

            I could be wrong but I do know that NotePro is my
            default notepad program.

            BTW, WinXP is great!

            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
              Harry and all XP users,

              At 06:04 AM 10/5/01 -0700, you wrote:
              >I don't know about Win2K, but I am running WinXP (RC2,
              >purchased over the net) and as far as I can remember,
              >all I did was hit the "Replace MS Notepad" in the Help
              >menu. And has been working fine.
              >
              >It has been a couple of months since I did this but, I
              >do believe that is all I did and NotePro is working
              >find with WinXP.
              >
              >I could be wrong but I do know that NotePro is my
              >default notepad program.
              >
              >BTW, WinXP is great!

              FWIW

              WinXP is to Win2K as Win98 is to Win95

              WinXP is Win2K with an improved (?) "optional" user interface and a few new
              features and bug fixes.

              With regard to replacing Notepad with NoteTab there is no difference other
              than the path to the dllcache directory depending on how you loaded XP
              (Fresh or upgrade).

              If you load WinXP over the top of Win2K then the Windows File Protection in
              XP will be whatever it was in 2K.

              Initially I did this very thing and it appeared that XP reacted differently
              than 2K, however if you do a clean install of
              XP or 2K on a clean disk, they are identical.

              The WFP used in XP is identical to that used in 2K.

              As I said in an earlier post, reloading 2K over an existing instance of 2K
              does not reset the WFP and loading XP over 2K is the same, it doesn't
              reset the WFP either.

              I believe that the NTUSER.DAT file is keeping track of your desires with
              respect to the WFP although I haven't proven this yet. It is a fussy file
              to mess with unless you are prepared to do a lot of work and I just haven't
              gotten to it yet.

              Also it isn't too important if you don't really care about re-protecting
              Notepad.exe.

              To date the only way I have been able to fully restore the WFP in either 2K
              or XP is to do a fresh install on a fresh disk.

              For anyone interested, it is possible to completely remove the WFP with no
              adverse effects.

              So far, I would have to say that the greatest advantage of having an XP CD
              is that it has drivers for just about any hardware you could currently have.

              The greatest disadvantage with the RC1 and RC2 version and probably the
              Final version is that you have to activate it via a connection with
              Microsoft. (Beware all conspiracy theory advocates and those who value
              their privacy)

              It remains to be seen whether or not MS is getting more information than
              they should when you activate XP.

              XP also has it's own firewall and I haven't yet investigated just how easy
              it is to replace it with a 3rd party firewall.(One that MS can't give
              itself access to)

              Aside from all of that, I have found XP to be an even better experience
              than 2K and replacing Notepad with NoteTab in either is a piece of cake.

              Regards,

              Jim