Selecting Paragraphs from keyboard

  • Amitava
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hi,

      What is the keyboard shortcut in NTP for selecting whole paragraphs? In
      Word, for instance, Ctrl+Shift+Down from the beginning of a paragraph will
      do in but it seems to do something entirely different here. The "Keyboard
      Shortcuts" section is strangely silent on this subject.

      TIA,

      Amitava
      _________________________
      Amitava Das Gupta
      amitav@...
      amitava_dg@...
    • Hugo
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2001
        Amitava, (and thank you for your other message),

        > What is the keyboard shortcut in NTP for selecting whole
        paragraphs? In
        > Word, for instance, Ctrl+Shift+Down from the beginning of a
        paragraph will
        > do in but it seems to do something entirely different here.
        The "Keyboard
        > Shortcuts" section is strangely silent on this subject.

        You're right, I don't think there is a keyboard way to select a
        paragraph. In NTP CTRL+SHIFT+UP/DOWN scroll just up and down the
        text. NTLight apparently uses another engine, and there you can
        extend a selection with this key-combination.

        A couple of months ago this subject was on this list. A blind user
        wanted to select paragraphs etc. (obviously with the keyboard ;-) and
        we made up a couple of short clips for him. A small discussion about
        what actually would have to be regarded as a paragraph followed. In
        the original clips I searched for the occurence of ^P^P, but in the
        ones that I will send to the clips-list (I know you're there as well)
        in this message I set it back to ^P...

        Continued on clips-list.

        Hugo
      • steveadausa@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2001
          What you could do is:

          1) write a clip to select paragraph
          2) use ctrl-space shortcut to select last used clip

          or

          2) or (with clipbbook closed) hit ESC and pick your clip
          from the drop-down list box

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2001
            Hi Amitava,

            >What is the keyboard shortcut in NTP for selecting whole
            >paragraphs? In Word, for instance, Ctrl+Shift+Down from the
            >beginning of a paragraph will do in but it seems to do something
            >entirely different here. The "Keyboard Shortcuts" section is
            >strangely silent on this subject.

            It depends on where the cursor is before you select text.

            Home Shift+End will select the full line up to the right "edge of
            the pane," the document window. In this case, EOL is to a hard or
            soft wrapped line (word wrap on or off). Remember that NoteTab
            counts all the text up to a hard break as a paragraph. (In that
            case, a line is equal to a paragraph considering word wrap being
            on/off).

          • Amitava
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2001
              Hi Hugo and Steve

              >> What is the keyboard shortcut in NTP for selecting whole
              >paragraphs? In
              >> Word, for instance, Ctrl+Shift+Down from the beginning of a
              >paragraph will
              >> do in but it seems to do something entirely different here.
              >The "Keyboard
              >> Shortcuts" section is strangely silent on this subject.
              >>

              >You're right, I don't think there is a keyboard way to select a
              >paragraph. In NTP CTRL+SHIFT+UP/DOWN scroll just up and down the
              >text. NTLight apparently uses another engine, and there you can
              >extend a selection with this key-combination.

              I DON'T BELIEVE THIS! Something as wonderful as piece of software does not
              have a keyboard method for selecting paragraphs? <g> Anyway, Hugo, your
              clips does the job. Thanks. Here's hoping V5.0 will take care of this.

              Amitava
              _________________________
              Amitava Das Gupta
              amitav@...
              amitava_dg@...
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2001
                Hi Amitava, Hugo, Steve, and Others,

                >>> What is the keyboard shortcut in NTP for selecting whole
                >>> paragraphs? In Word, for instance, Ctrl+Shift+Down from the
                >>> beginning of a paragraph will do in but it seems to do
                >>> something entirely different here. The "Keyboard Shortcuts"
                >>> section is strangely silent on this subject.
                >
                >I DON'T BELIEVE THIS! Something as wonderful as piece of software
                >does not have a keyboard method for selecting paragraphs? <g>

                Actually, NoteTab can select paragraphs with the keyboard. What
                is causing it to appear that it does not is that NoteTab
                considers all the text from BOL to EOL as one paragraph no matter
                how many lines it covers on the screen. In other words, NoteTab
                considers a paragraph from the start of a line until it finds the
                first hard line break (CR/LF).

                So, word wrap and the cursor position is mostly the key to it.
                With the cursor located anywhere in a word wrapped line
                (paragraph):

                Ctrl+W Home Shift+End

                Perhaps in version five we will be able to define what a paragraph
                is, such as it is now or a blank line between text.