Still can't get NTPro v 4.86 to replace Notepad under Windows 2000

  • slamantia@home.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hi everyone. (I have another puzzle.)

      Now that I've moved my "personal" NoteTab Pro files off my old
      computer and onto the new computer (which runs Windows 2000 Pro), the
      next thing I wanted to do was the good ol' "Replace MS Notepad" [with
      NoteTab Pro]. So I went to the Help menu, but ... uh oh, it wasn't
      there!

      A quick search (on the words "replace Notepad Windows 2000") of this
      NoteTab Basic mailing list archives seemed to point to the problems
      with Windows File Protection being overly protective, and that that
      was the reason Eric had left it out of the Help menu when running
      under Windows 2000. I saw the manual file-renaming method described
      in a few posts, but I got confused because the steps seemed to vary
      somewhat in detail from one post to another, and I couldn't find
      a "definitive" method posted on the NoteTab web site itself.

      So I was scared to do the manual file-renaming method. But then I
      noticed that there was a newer version of NoteTab Pro available,
      version 4.86. (I was currently running version 4.85.) On a hunch, I
      downloaded and installed 4.86, and when I opened up NoteTab Pro once
      again (this time it being v 4.86), much to my delight there it was
      again, resurrected in all its glory, the good ol' "Replace MS
      Notepad" item on the Help menu.

      So I clicked on that. I got the warning message from NoteTab that
      Windows File Protection (WFP) would respond with a couple of queries,
      and that I should click "Cancel" to the first query ("restore
      original Notepad?") and click "Yes" to the second query ("keep
      unrecognized file version?"). I even wrote that info down, so I
      wouldn't mess it up when WFP jumped onto the screen.

      But ... WFP never appeared. I also noticed that the Help menu was
      still showing "Replace MS Notepad..." as a selection, with "Restore
      MS Notepad..." still being dimmed out. So I figured that the
      replacement "hadn't taken".

      (And this was confirmed, of course, when I went into Windows Explorer
      and double-clicked on a .txt file, and Windows Notepad still came up.)

      However, there's more. I always run PC Magazine's excellent InCtrl5
      utility around every installation I do, and often also around
      anything that might change anything on my system that I want to know
      about. So I had run InCtrl5 around that "replace Notepad" process,
      because I wanted to see what changes would be made to my system. (At
      the end of this message, I've pasted in InCtrl5's report on the file
      changes made. There were also 5 registry key changes made, as well,
      but they didn't look anything like anything to do with anything, so
      they're not pasted in here.)

      InCtrl5 reported 2 new files being created, and 8 files changed. The
      2 "new" files are

      c:\WINNT\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS 50,960 bytes 5/8/2001 5:00 AM
      c:\WINNT\system32\NOTEPAD.INI 67 bytes 10/3/2001 4:54 PM

      and from looking at the timestamp, I'd say that that NOTEPAD.EXE.MS
      isn't really a *new* file per se, just a renamed copy of the original
      Notepad.exe.

      Out of curiosity (and so as to dig up enough information as I could
      for posting in this message), I did a search on my disk
      for "Notepad.exe", and I find 3 copies of it:

      Notepad.exe 50,960 5/8/2001 5:00 AM C:\WINNT\
      notepad.exe 50,960 5/8/2001 5:00 AM C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\
      notepad.exe 50,960 5/8/2001 5:00 AM C:\WINNT\system32\

      (and so now I'm really confused).

      And oh, that Notepad.ini file that got created has this inside:

      [Application]
      ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

      Anyway, I hope someone can help me do this. What happened here? Why
      didn't NoteTab take over for Notepad? Was one of those Notepad.exe
      files supposed to get written over by something "diverting" data
      files into NoteTab? I'm really lost here, and could use all the help
      and mercy anyone can offer.

      Thanks!

      Steve LaMantia
      Seattle, WA

      Installation Report:
      Replacing Windows Notepad with NoteTab Pro (via NTP Help menu)
      Generated by InCtrl5, version 1.0.0.0
      Install program:
      10/3/2001 5:02 PM

      Files added: 2
      --------------
      c:\WINNT\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS
      Date: 5/8/2001 5:00 AM
      Size: 50,960 bytes
      c:\WINNT\system32\NOTEPAD.INI
      Date: 10/3/2001 4:54 PM
      Size: 67 bytes

      Files changed: 8
      ----------------
      c:\Documents and Settings\Steve Lamantia\NTUSER.DAT
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:51 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:02 PM
      Old size: 757,760 bytes
      New size: 757,760 bytes
      c:\Documents and Settings\Steve Lamantia\ntuser.dat.LOG
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:51 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:02 PM
      Old size: 1,024 bytes
      New size: 1,024 bytes
      c:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPRO.fpr
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:51 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:01 PM
      Old size: 22,687 bytes
      New size: 22,687 bytes
      c:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:51 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:01 PM
      Old size: 19,608 bytes
      New size: 19,608 bytes
      c:\WINNT\system32\config\software
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:51 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:02 PM
      Old size: 8,511,488 bytes
      New size: 8,511,488 bytes
      c:\WINNT\system32\config\software.LOG
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:51 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:02 PM
      Old size: 1,024 bytes
      New size: 1,024 bytes
      c:\WINNT\system32\config\system
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:52 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:02 PM
      Old size: 2,600,960 bytes
      New size: 2,600,960 bytes
      c:\WINNT\system32\config\SYSTEM.ALT
      Old date: 10/3/2001 4:52 PM
      New date: 10/3/2001 5:02 PM
      Old size: 2,605,056 bytes
      New size: 2,605,056 bytes
    • J.E.HALL
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2001
        Slamantia and all Win2K and WinXP users,

        This will be a pretty common scenario until everyone gets "THE WORD"

        At 01:10 AM 10/4/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hi everyone. (I have another puzzle.)
        >
        >Now that I've moved my "personal" NoteTab Pro files off my old
        >computer and onto the new computer (which runs Windows 2000 Pro), the
        >next thing I wanted to do was the good ol' "Replace MS Notepad" [with
        >NoteTab Pro]. So I went to the Help menu, but ... uh oh, it wasn't
        >there!
        >
        >A quick search (on the words "replace Notepad Windows 2000") of this
        >NoteTab Basic mailing list archives seemed to point to the problems
        >with Windows File Protection being overly protective, and that that
        >was the reason Eric had left it out of the Help menu when running
        >under Windows 2000. I saw the manual file-renaming method described
        >in a few posts, but I got confused because the steps seemed to vary
        >somewhat in detail from one post to another, and I couldn't find
        >a "definitive" method posted on the NoteTab web site itself.
        >
        >So I was scared to do the manual file-renaming method. But then I
        >noticed that there was a newer version of NoteTab Pro available,
        >version 4.86. (I was currently running version 4.85.) On a hunch, I
        >downloaded and installed 4.86, and when I opened up NoteTab Pro once
        >again (this time it being v 4.86), much to my delight there it was
        >again, resurrected in all its glory, the good ol' "Replace MS
        >Notepad" item on the Help menu.
        >
        >So I clicked on that. I got the warning message from NoteTab that
        >Windows File Protection (WFP) would respond with a couple of queries,
        >and that I should click "Cancel" to the first query ("restore
        >original Notepad?") and click "Yes" to the second query ("keep
        >unrecognized file version?"). I even wrote that info down, so I
        >wouldn't mess it up when WFP jumped onto the screen.
        >
        >But ... WFP never appeared. I also noticed that the Help menu was
        >still showing "Replace MS Notepad..." as a selection, with "Restore
        >MS Notepad..." still being dimmed out. So I figured that the
        >replacement "hadn't taken".
        >
        >(And this was confirmed, of course, when I went into Windows Explorer
        >and double-clicked on a .txt file, and Windows Notepad still came up.)

        A little background first:

        NOTE: Where I fail to specify, everything below applies to both Win2K and WinXP

        Eric doesn't have a system running Win2K or WinXP yet.

        I have been testing the new versions of NoteTab Pro for Eric on Win2K and
        WinXP with respect to replacing Notepad with NoteTab.

        As is mentioned above, I (and others) have posted several procedures for
        replacing Notepad with NoteTab and have attempted to update the document
        when new information has been gathered.

        Eric has put all of the necessary code into NoteTab 4.86 to accomplish the
        replacement however it still doesn't work quite like it did in Win9X and WinME.

        The problem is that the Windows File Protection (WFP) Scheme APPARENTLY
        requires that the WFP backup copy of Notepad.exe MUST BE MANUALLY
        RENAMED/DELETED.

        Thus the WFP insures that this doesn't happen unless you really do want it
        to happen.

        We determined this with NoteTab 4.86 and verified it in the Slipstream update.

        I just finished testing it in the slipstream update and it too requires
        that you MANUALLY Rename/Delete the Notepad.exe in the WFP "special backup"
        C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache directory to Notepad.exe.ms

        As of Version 4.86 this is the only file that must be MANUALLY
        renamed/deleted. Whether you rename it or delete it is not important since
        once that you do either it is a done deal and will not cause you any more
        problems.

        APPARENTLY the NTUSER.DAT file gets changed to reflect your desire to over
        ride the WFP and even if you later replace or rename Notepad.exe to it's
        original condition it is still no longer protected by the WFP. MS has a
        procedure to manually use the WFP but to date I have been unable to restore
        protection of Notepad.exe other than by a CLEAN INSTALL of Win2K ON A CLEAN
        DISK. As time permits, I will investigate this further.

        When you do MANUALLY rename/delete C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe,
        it will invoke the WFP prompt and the NoteTab warning will apply.

        NOTE:
        It may not immediately invoke the WFP prompt. Due to the way the WFP works,
        it can be several minutes before the prompt automatically appears. As well
        it may be hidden behind other screens. Just watch the Task bar and
        eventually a WFP tab will appear and will probably be blinking. Then look
        for the prompt. Attempting to use the REPLACE/RESTORE commands in the
        NoteTab HELP menu should force the prompt to appear. It is possible too
        that the prompt will appear more than once when the REPLACE command in the
        NoteTab HELP menu is used. Just answer each in the prescribed manner.

        Thereafter, NoteTab will be able to REPLACE/RESTORE Notepad in the normal
        manner through the commands in the HELP menu.

        The only real trick here is to find the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache
        directory which is a HIDDEN and PROTECTED "OPERATING SYSTEM" directory, and
        requires that you goto:

        MY COMPUTER>TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW

        AND SELECT

        "Show hidden files and folders"

        AND UNCHECK

        "Hide protected operating system files"

        This will allow you to find it with the Explorer (There are other ways to
        find it but this is a sure way)

        NOTE:
        Depending on how you installed Win2K and WinXP the path for the dllcache
        directory will vary.

        It will be either

        C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache

        OR

        C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

        If you have about 10 minutes to spare and are interested, goto:

        http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/so_projects/so3/so3.asp?fr=1

        for a pretty good audio video presentation on the WFP.

        I hope this helps and if you find anything helpful, please let us know.

        Thank You

        Jim Hall

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
          Jim Hall wrote:

          > ... As of Version 4.86 this is the only file that
          > must be MANUALLY renamed/deleted. Whether you
          > rename it or delete it is not important since once
          > that you do either it is a done deal and will not
          > cause you any more problems. ...

          So, just to clarify for me:

          Now that I've already invoked NoteTab Pro's "Replace MS
          Notepad..." function off the Help menu, all that remains for
          me to do is to manually rename

          C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe to Notepad.exe.ms

          and then to wait for and to respond to the two resulting
          Windows File Protection prompts by clicking "Cancel" and
          "YES", respectively.

          Do I have that right? Is there anything more I'd need to
          do?

          By the way, thanks for taking the time and making the
          effort to hash all this stuff out for all us "Windows 2000
          newbies", Jim. I really appreciate it.

          Steve LaMantia
          Seattle, WA
        • J.E.HALL
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2001
            Steve,

            At 09:30 PM 10/4/01 +0000, you wrote:

            >Jim Hall wrote:
            >
            > > ... As of Version 4.86 this is the only file that
            > > must be MANUALLY renamed/deleted. Whether you
            > > rename it or delete it is not important since once
            > > that you do either it is a done deal and will not
            > > cause you any more problems. ...
            >
            >So, just to clarify for me:
            >
            >Now that I've already invoked NoteTab Pro's "Replace MS
            >Notepad..." function off the Help menu, all that remains for
            >me to do is to manually rename
            >
            > C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe to Notepad.exe.ms
            >
            >and then to wait for and to respond to the two resulting
            >Windows File Protection prompts by clicking "Cancel" and
            >"YES", respectively.
            >
            >Do I have that right? Is there anything more I'd need to
            >do?

            Actually right now the "Replace MS Notepad" won't stick, it will revert back

            UNTIL you rename the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe file.

            After it is renamed you can REPLACE/RESTORE as you like, "Just like the
            book says" :-)

            Regards,

            Jim

          • Nick Noakes
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
              OK help me out here, please. I have Win2KPro but I do not have a dllcache
              folder under system32 (and MS Explorer is set to show hidden files and
              folders).

              Nick

              >Actually right now the "Replace MS Notepad" won't stick, it will revert back
              >
              >UNTIL you rename the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\dllcache\Notepad.exe file.
              >
              >After it is renamed you can REPLACE/RESTORE as you like, "Just like the
              >book says" :-)
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Jim

              Nick Noakes
              Language Centre
              Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
              Email: lcnoakes@...
            • Nick Noakes

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
                  I don't know about Win2K, but I am running WinXP (RC2,
                  purchased over the net) and as far as I can remember,
                  all I did was hit the "Replace MS Notepad" in the Help
                  menu. And has been working fine.

                  It has been a couple of months since I did this but, I
                  do believe that is all I did and NotePro is working
                  find with WinXP.

                  I could be wrong but I do know that NotePro is my
                  default notepad program.

                  BTW, WinXP is great!

                  http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 5, 2001
                    Harry and all XP users,

                    At 06:04 AM 10/5/01 -0700, you wrote:
                    >I don't know about Win2K, but I am running WinXP (RC2,
                    >purchased over the net) and as far as I can remember,
                    >all I did was hit the "Replace MS Notepad" in the Help
                    >menu. And has been working fine.
                    >
                    >It has been a couple of months since I did this but, I
                    >do believe that is all I did and NotePro is working
                    >find with WinXP.
                    >
                    >I could be wrong but I do know that NotePro is my
                    >default notepad program.
                    >
                    >BTW, WinXP is great!

                    FWIW

                    WinXP is to Win2K as Win98 is to Win95

                    WinXP is Win2K with an improved (?) "optional" user interface and a few new
                    features and bug fixes.

                    With regard to replacing Notepad with NoteTab there is no difference other
                    than the path to the dllcache directory depending on how you loaded XP
                    (Fresh or upgrade).

                    If you load WinXP over the top of Win2K then the Windows File Protection in
                    XP will be whatever it was in 2K.

                    Initially I did this very thing and it appeared that XP reacted differently
                    than 2K, however if you do a clean install of
                    XP or 2K on a clean disk, they are identical.

                    The WFP used in XP is identical to that used in 2K.

                    As I said in an earlier post, reloading 2K over an existing instance of 2K
                    does not reset the WFP and loading XP over 2K is the same, it doesn't
                    reset the WFP either.

                    I believe that the NTUSER.DAT file is keeping track of your desires with
                    respect to the WFP although I haven't proven this yet. It is a fussy file
                    to mess with unless you are prepared to do a lot of work and I just haven't
                    gotten to it yet.

                    Also it isn't too important if you don't really care about re-protecting
                    Notepad.exe.

                    To date the only way I have been able to fully restore the WFP in either 2K
                    or XP is to do a fresh install on a fresh disk.

                    For anyone interested, it is possible to completely remove the WFP with no
                    adverse effects.

                    So far, I would have to say that the greatest advantage of having an XP CD
                    is that it has drivers for just about any hardware you could currently have.

                    The greatest disadvantage with the RC1 and RC2 version and probably the
                    Final version is that you have to activate it via a connection with
                    Microsoft. (Beware all conspiracy theory advocates and those who value
                    their privacy)

                    It remains to be seen whether or not MS is getting more information than
                    they should when you activate XP.

                    XP also has it's own firewall and I haven't yet investigated just how easy
                    it is to replace it with a 3rd party firewall.(One that MS can't give
                    itself access to)

                    Aside from all of that, I have found XP to be an even better experience
                    than 2K and replacing Notepad with NoteTab in either is a piece of cake.

                    Regards,

                    Jim