NoteTab Lite just sits on task bar?

  • bshuping
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
      When NoteTab Lite is minimized on task bar and I click a .txt document in a
      file, NoteTab just sits there and doesn't open the doc. If I close NoteTab
      and then click the same doc, NoteTab springs forth to open the doc. How can
      I have minimized NoteTab open another doc?
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
        Hi bshuping,

        >When NoteTab Lite is minimized on task bar and I click a .txt
        >document in a file, NoteTab just sits there and doesn't open the
        >doc. If I close NoteTab and then click the same doc, NoteTab
        >springs forth to open the doc. How can I have minimized NoteTab
        >open another doc?

        I cannot guarantee the following will fix your problem, but it won't
        hurt and should help. Some users had problems with the browser not
        coming to the front at all. It turned out to be a Windows lockout
        problem. Microsoft felt too many programmers were taking advantage
        of bringing the programs to the front and disabled the feature. The
        problem with NoteTab not coming to the front appears to be a Windows
        problem as well. You might find that it works if you switch into
        NoteTab and then back out. If that is the case like it is for me,
        then it appears that there is some kind of queue list and once
        NoteTab gets pushed out of it then Windows will not allow it to
        regain focus. You might also find that it will work when you first
        boot up into Windows, but start failing later on. I have had the
        same problem with other programs, so it is not just a NoteTab issue.

        Use Tweak UI 1.33 from the following link and in the General tab
        uncheck "Prevent Applications from Stealing Focus" if it is.

        http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe

        You can try manually changing your registry settings to remove the
        Windows block if you desire to do it that way.

        Win2000
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        Key: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
        Value: ForegroundLockTimeout
        Type: DWORD
        Data: 200000 (default), 0 (disables)

        Win98
        ¯¯¯¯¯
        Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
        Value: ForegroundLockTimeout
        Type: Binary
        Data: 00 00 00 00

      • tobill@writeme.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
          --- In notetab@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
          > Hi bshuping,
          >
          > >When NoteTab Lite is minimized on task bar and I click a .txt
          > >document in a file, NoteTab just sits there and doesn't open the
          > >doc. If I close NoteTab and then click the same doc, NoteTab
          > >springs forth to open the doc. How can I have minimized NoteTab
          > >open another doc?
          >
          > I cannot guarantee the following will fix your problem, but it won't
          > hurt and should help. Some users had problems with the browser not
          > coming to the front at all. It turned out to be a Windows lockout
          > problem. Microsoft felt too many programmers were taking advantage
          > of bringing the programs to the front and disabled the feature. The
          > problem with NoteTab not coming to the front appears to be a Windows
          > problem as well. You might find that it works if you switch into
          > NoteTab and then back out. ========snip==========

          TweakUI did not do the trick. When I click a .txt file, NoteTab
          opens it. If I leave NoteTab open and click another .txt file, it
          opens in NoteTab as a second tab. If I minimize NoteTab (to the task
          bar) and click another .txt file, it doesn't open and NoteTab remains
          minimized. I have to close or restore NoteTab before it will open
          another .txt file. Surely I am missing a setting somewhere.
        • Rick Friedline
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
            At 09:24 PM 9/29/01, tobill@... wrote:

            >TweakUI did not do the trick. When I click a .txt file, NoteTab
            >opens it. If I leave NoteTab open and click another .txt file, it
            >opens in NoteTab as a second tab. If I minimize NoteTab (to the task
            >bar) and click another .txt file, it doesn't open and NoteTab remains
            >minimized. I have to close or restore NoteTab before it will open
            >another .txt file. Surely I am missing a setting somewhere.

            I never found this feature of TweakUI to be very reliable. Eudora still
            steals the focus from everything every time it checks for mail unless I
            have it minimized.

            I have had your experience with NTP when I was letting NTP remain in
            the task bar. After setting NTP to minimize to the System Tray [View |
            Options | at the bottom left check "Icon is system tray"], I never had
            the problem again.

            Maybe it will work for you as well.

            HTH

            Rick

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
              Hi Rick & tobill,

              >> TweakUI did not do the trick. When I click a .txt file,
              >> NoteTab opens it. If I leave NoteTab open and click another
              >> .txt file, it opens in NoteTab as a second tab. If I minimize
              >> NoteTab (to the task bar) and click another .txt file, it
              >> doesn't open and NoteTab remains minimized. I have to close or
              >> restore NoteTab before it will open another .txt file. Surely
              >> I am missing a setting somewhere.

              Maybe Eric needs to do some tweaking. ;) After I had posted I
              remembered what I told you was really for browsers coming to the
              front while in NoteTab and using View in Browser. I can confirm
              NoteTab not opening from the minimized position when clicking on
              a text file. I can also confirm that Rick is correct in that if
              you have the icon in the system tray that it will maximize (or
              Normal) when a file is clicked on in Windows Explorer. You do
              loose your drag/drop to the Taskbar, but if you have the Shortcut
              bar with NoteTab on it, then you can drop it on NoteTab's icon
              there. (Thanks Rick!)

              >I never found this feature of TweakUI to be very reliable. Eudora
              >still steals the focus from everything every time it checks for
              >mail unless I have it minimized.

              I am in 4.3 of Eudora and it never steals the focus and I have my
              tweak set to allow it. <g>

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
                NoteTab> View> Options> General> check "Allow Multiple Instances"

                --- In notetab@y..., Jody <av1611@e...> wrote:
                > Hi Rick & tobill,
                >
                > >> TweakUI did not do the trick. When I click a .txt file,
                > >> NoteTab opens it. If I leave NoteTab open and click another
                > >> .txt file, it opens in NoteTab as a second tab. If I minimize
                > >> NoteTab (to the task bar) and click another .txt file, it
                > >> doesn't open and NoteTab remains minimized. I have to close or
                > >> restore NoteTab before it will open another .txt file. Surely
                > >> I am missing a setting somewhere.
              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Hi Rick, Tobill, Jody,

                  > >> TweakUI did not do the trick. When I click a .txt file,
                  > >> NoteTab opens it. If I leave NoteTab open and click another
                  > >> .txt file, it opens in NoteTab as a second tab. If I minimize
                  > >> NoteTab (to the task bar) and click another .txt file, it
                  > >> doesn't open and NoteTab remains minimized. I have to close or
                  > >> restore NoteTab before it will open another .txt file. Surely
                  > >> I am missing a setting somewhere.
                  >
                  >Maybe Eric needs to do some tweaking. ;)

                  I'm stumped by this one. It's a problem I have managed to reproduce
                  occasionally, but never when my debugger was active. NoteTab relies on the
                  BroadCastSystemMessage API command in Windows. It appears that this Windows
                  feature is not doing its job properly at all times. Perhaps a resource problem?

                  Regards,
                  Eric G.V. Fookes