Note Tab features

  • Arno Mueller
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
      Hi all,

      I wonder if NoteTab allows copy and paste of text boxes (i.e. rectangular
      selections of text over several lines).

      Also, is it possible to indent and unindent more than one line?

      Thanks,

      Arno Mueller

    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
        On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:25:37 +0100, Arno Mueller
        <Arno.Mueller@...> wrote:

        > I wonder if NoteTab allows copy and paste of text boxes (i.e. rectangular
        > selections of text over several lines).

        Certainly! It's in the Modify menu. Look for the Block submenu there.
        You'll find these operations:

        Block Cut
        Block Copy
        Block Paste
        Block Delete
        Block Sum

        > Also, is it possible to indent and unindent more than one line?

        Select the lines you want to indent and use "Modify | Lines | Indent".
        To do the same thing faster, use the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl-I. To
        unindent, use Shift-Ctrl-I.

        Regards,
        Paul

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      • mikeWorks
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
          Arno,

          NoteTab will let you select and subsequently cut and paste large
          blocks of text spanning as many lines as you want(at least
          NoteTab pro will and I suspect that the other versions will
          also). It also has the functionality in place to indent/unindent
          multi lines of text and the "indenting" feature works well.
          However, I have never been able to get unindent to work at all.
          Attempting it does nothing. I suspect that this is one of those
          features that works normally for others but, for whatever reason,
          dosn't for me.

          Michael Brock

          mike@...
          http://mikeWorks.com, to make your Merchant store fit your vision

          brok@...
          http://vikingcoders.com, coders with axes

          I wonder if NoteTab allows copy and paste of text boxes (i.e.
          rectangular
          selections of text over several lines).

          Also, is it possible to indent and unindent more than one line?

          Thanks,

          Arno Mueller

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
          Sponsor ---------------------~-->
          Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how
          to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with
          VeriSign's FREE guide!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/JNm9_D/33_CAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
            Hi Arno,

            I just saw "Dr. Paul Harder" <pharder@...>'s post after
            I wrote this, but here is mine anyway. ;)

            >I wonder if NoteTab allows copy and paste of text boxes (i.e.
            >rectangular selections of text over several lines).

            Yes, it does. Please read Help under Block Copy. There is a lot
            of information about it and one thing it covers is that you will
            not see a selection blocked, but it works just the same.

            >Also, is it possible to indent and unindent more than one line?

            Yes, select the lines and press Ctrl+I (See View | Options | Tools)

          • Michiel van Minnen
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
              On 26 Sep 2001, at 10:47, mikeWorks wrote: [...] > However, I
              > have never been able to get unindent to work at all. Attempting it
              > does nothing. I suspect that this is one of those features that works
              > normally for others but, for whatever reason, doesn't for me.

              I think I had a similar problem once, I solved it the following way:

              One can either indent with tabs or spaces.

              If you want to use spaces: check that on view->options->documents,
              Type Tab is either Fixed or Smart. Also check that on view->options-
              >tools the checkbox for Indent with Tabs is unchecked. unindent now
              won't work if the beginning of the line is a tab

              If you want to use tabs: check that on view->options->documents, Type
              Tab is Real. Also check that on view->options->tools the checkbox for
              Indent with Tabs is checked. unindent now won't work if the beginning
              of the line is a space

              if you want to see the difference between spaces and tabs you can use
              Shift-F12

              One other setting that can be important: my wordwrap is off. (ctrl-W)

              Met vriendelijke groet,

              Michiel van Minnen, Software Engineer
              --
              Bit-IC 'Thought is Reality'
              Rivium 1e straat 35

              T (010) 2 350 350
              F (010) 2 350 399
              E michiel.van.minnen@...

              To make your Thoughts Reality: www.bit-ic.nl
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
                Hi Michiel and mikeWorks,

                >> However, I have never been able to get unindent to work at all.
                >> Attempting it does nothing. I suspect that this is one of
                >> those features that works normally for others but, for whatever
                >> reason, doesn't for me.

                Ctrl+I to indent; Shift+Ctrl+I to unindent. (Tools menu)
                Settings are in Options under Tools.

              • Sir Charles
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
                  > > I wonder if NoteTab allows copy and paste of text boxes (i.e.
                  rectangular
                  > > selections of text over several lines).
                  >
                  > Certainly! It's in the Modify menu. Look for the Block submenu there.
                  > You'll find these operations:
                  >
                  > Block Cut
                  > Block Copy
                  > Block Paste
                  > Block Delete
                  > Block Sum
                  Incredible! NoteTab keeps impressing me every time I turn around!
                  ... Hm, though it's not 100% perfect.. maybe it was the mixture of spaces
                  and tabs used to separate columns (not my fault, I swear!) but for some
                  reason when I was moving the third column, it copied parts of the end of the
                  second column and parts of the beginning of the fourth column. *laughs!*
                  Looks like I have some re-formatting to do ;) Still, wow! Excellent
                  feature!
                  Hey, considering the 'Sum' function, any chance it could actually output
                  the sum somewhere in the document? For instance, at the bottom of the
                  selected column.

                  Oo, bug. Consider:
                  123
                  456
                  7
                  8.9
                  10584
                  1278
                  85.0
                  I highlight from the first 1 to the last 0. Hit block, sum, and it
                  totals up everything, except it treats 10584 as 1058. Also an oddity, if I
                  use 1,278 instead of 1278, it only adds 127 (as well as only 1058).

                  -C

                • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 26, 2001
                    Sir Charles,

                    I must be living in the days of the Kings and Queens myself. The
                    country I live in has a King, the country I work in has a Queen. I am
                    not related with either of them (AFAIK).

                    About your Block-sum question:

                    123
                    456
                    7
                    8.9
                    10584
                    1278
                    85.0

                    If you select from the bottom, the selection will only be 4 cols
                    wide. That's why only 1058 is evaluated.

                    Now before selecting the block, type a space after 85.0, to make the
                    block 5 wide, and select the whole incl. the whitespace. If you do
                    Block-Sum you will have the correct SUM.

                    0..[1---2---3
                    1---2---3---4
                    2---3]..4...5

                    I think the block sum is more intended to calculate the result of a
                    column as in the above example...

                    In other cases it is easier though to select the nrs you want to be
                    evaluated and than hit CTRL+E. This works on your list as well.

                    Examples
                    --------
                    2*4+5-8/2
                    ...now press CTRL+E/or use Tools|Calculate Expression/ALT+T X.
                    If there's nothing else on the line the calculation is done
                    automatically. Otherwise you have to select the formula first...

                    2*4+5-8/2=
                    if the formula is ended with the equal-sign (=), the result is
                    inserted into your document.

                    Hugo

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 27, 2001
                      > Sir Charles,
                      >
                      > I must be living in the days of the Kings and Queens myself. The
                      *laughs* Okay, I think this topic about my name has probably gone far
                      enough from NoteTab ;)

                      > country I live in has a King, the country I work in has a Queen. I am
                      > not related with either of them (AFAIK).
                      *grins* Hey, you never know. You might be the ancestor of King Charles
                      the Beheaded ;) Hehehe.

                      > About your Block-sum question:
                      >
                      > 123
                      > 456
                      > 7
                      > 8.9
                      > 10584
                      > 1278
                      > 85.0
                      >
                      > If you select from the bottom, the selection will only be 4 cols
                      > wide. That's why only 1058 is evaluated.
                      Hmm.. No, I select from the top to the bottom, and bottom to the top, and
                      I get the same erroneous result. But *why* does it do this? The longest
                      line is 5 characters, then 2 lines are 4, then 3 are 3 and one is 1. Why
                      does it cut off that 5th character?

                      > Now before selecting the block, type a space after 85.0, to make the
                      > block 5 wide, and select the whole incl. the whitespace. If you do
                      > Block-Sum you will have the correct SUM.
                      Hrrrm... That, or put an extra 0 at the end, or at the beginning. I
                      still say it's a bug ;)

                      > 0..[1---2---3
                      > 1---2---3---4
                      > 2---3]..4...5
                      >
                      > I think the block sum is more intended to calculate the result of a
                      > column as in the above example...
                      Ooohhh... so, wait... it doesn't base the block upon anything other than
                      start position and end position? So, since the last element in my column
                      was only 4 characters wide, it will only select a block that is 4 characters
                      wide? Hrrm. Yeah, okay, I guess it makes sense ;) I still say it's a bug
                      *laughs* But not /that/ important of one.

                      > In other cases it is easier though to select the nrs you want to be
                      > evaluated and than hit CTRL+E. This works on your list as well.
                      Oh. Hehehe.
                      Say, is there any way I can find out what a certain key combination
                      actually does? I mean, how can I tell precisely what ctrl-alt-I is doing?
                      Is there a list of key combinations?

                      > Examples
                      > --------
                      > 2*4+5-8/2
                      > ...now press CTRL+E/or use Tools|Calculate Expression/ALT+T X.
                      > If there's nothing else on the line the calculation is done
                      > automatically. Otherwise you have to select the formula first...
                      >
                      > 2*4+5-8/2=
                      > if the formula is ended with the equal-sign (=), the result is
                      > inserted into your document.
                      >
                      > Hugo
                      Cool. Thanks Hugo! :)

                      > > Oo, bug. Consider:
                      > > 123
                      > > 456
                      > > 7
                      > > 8.9
                      > > 10584
                      > > 1278
                      > > 85.0
                      > > I highlight from the first 1 to the last 0. Hit block, sum, and
                      > it
                      > > totals up everything, except it treats 10584 as 1058. Also an
                      > oddity, if I
                      > > use 1,278 instead of 1278, it only adds 127 (as well as only 1058).

                    • Harvey R. Savage
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 27, 2001
                        Sir Charles wrote:

                        > > Sir Charles,
                        > >

                        > > About your Block-sum question:
                        > >
                        > > 123
                        > > 456
                        > > 7
                        > > 8.9
                        > > 10584
                        > > 1278
                        > > 85.0
                        > >
                        > > If you select from the bottom, the selection will only be 4 cols
                        > > wide. That's why only 1058 is evaluated.
                        >
                        > > Now before selecting the block, type a space after 85.0, to make the
                        > > block 5 wide, and select the whole incl. the whitespace. If you do
                        > > Block-Sum you will have the correct SUM.
                        > Hrrrm... That, or put an extra 0 at the end, or at the beginning. I
                        > still say it's a bug ;)

                        Sir,

                        Making the bottom line of the block longest, as Hugo stated, is a
                        work-around, probably the easiest I know, for selecting a block
                        to cut and paste, and/or calculate, that will work correctly.

                        AS I UNDERSTAND, from following these lists, small annoyances
                        like this are caused by the limitations of the (programming
                        language - input control), Delphi, I believe.

                        Most, or all, of these annoyances will disappear with Version 5.x
                        of NoteTab. The (newer, newest) version of Delphi is used to
                        build NTP 5.x.

                        I generally think of a bug as being an error committed by the
                        author, in this case the 'bug' is a limitation of the programming
                        software.

                        It's still annoying but, it helps a little to know why and that
                        it will disappear with the next version.

                        hrs
                      • tenu@sci.fi
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 27, 2001
                          > I generally think of a bug as being an error committed by the
                          > author, in this case the 'bug' is a limitation of the programming
                          > software.

                          A bug is a bug, no matter what causes it.

                          Two more bugs:

                          Selecting a paragraph by double-clicking in the
                          gutter works, shifted double-click below to extend
                          the selection selects (at most) one line too much.
                          The number of extra chars is the length of the last
                          selected line.

                          These happen with NTP4.86, on Win98SE and Win2000.
                        • Dr. Paul Harder
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 27, 2001
                            On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:55:38 -0000, tenu@... wrote:

                            > Two more bugs:

                            > Selecting a paragraph by double-clicking in the
                            > gutter works, shifted double-click below to extend
                            > the selection selects (at most) one line too much.
                            > The number of extra chars is the length of the last
                            > selected line.
                            >
                            > These happen with NTP4.86, on Win98SE and Win2000.

                            Hmmm... I think you'll have to provide more detail.

                            When you say that <a href="foo" >bar</a> doesn't render as intended,
                            what piece of software is doing the rendering? If you mean NoteTab Pro,
                            I don't understand your comment, because NoteTab is not intended to
                            "render" HTML. If you mean your browser, I still don't understand,
                            because that would be outside the scope of this discussion list -- and
                            it works fine in Internet Explorer 5.5.

                            As for the second bug, I'm not aware of any text selection tool in
                            NoteTab that uses a double-click in the gutter. My understanding is
                            that the "gutter" is the grey area to the left of the edit window, in
                            which line numbers are displayed if you choose to display them. When I
                            double-click on a line in the gutter, I'm invited to go to that numbered
                            line. But perhaps you mean the thin white area between what I think of
                            as the gutter and the main part of the text window where text actually
                            appears. If so, I still don't understand, because double-clicking there
                            does nothing. Instead, a single-click there selects an entire line.
                            And if you hold down the Shift key and single-click on a line beneath
                            it, you select a range down through the indicated line.

                            So where exactly are these bugs?

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 27, 2001
                              Sorry, I wasn't too clear in my first post.

                              > When you say that <a href="foo" >bar</a> doesn't render as intended,
                              > what piece of software is doing the rendering?

                              NTP, "Highlight HTML Tags" selected. "bar" should be
                              rendered with standard text color.

                              > But perhaps you mean the thin white area between what I think of
                              > as the gutter and the main part of the text window where text
                              actually
                              > appears.

                              Yes.

                              > If so, I still don't understand, because double-clicking there
                              > does nothing.

                              Word wrap turned on - double click selects paragraph.
                            • Dr. Paul Harder
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 27, 2001
                                On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:15:08 -0000, tenu@... wrote:

                                > Sorry, I wasn't too clear in my first post.
                                >

                                > > When you say that <a href="foo" >bar</a> doesn't render as intended,
                                > > what piece of software is doing the rendering?
                                >
                                > NTP, "Highlight HTML Tags" selected. "bar" should be
                                > rendered with standard text color.

                                Ah, now I understand. But I can't confirm this bug. I may be missing
                                something, as I usually keep all my colors set to black -- context
                                highlighting doesn't work for me because almost all my webpages are
                                actually Tcl programs with embedded HTML, which would confuse NoteTab
                                into coloring text meaninglessly. But when I restore the colors to the
                                default selections Eric has programmed (and keeping HTML highlighting
                                turned on), I see no difference between the highlighting with or without
                                the extra space within the tag.

                                > > But perhaps you mean the thin white area between what I think of
                                > > as the gutter and the main part of the text window where text
                                > actually
                                > > appears.
                                >
                                > Yes.
                                >
                                > > If so, I still don't understand, because double-clicking there
                                > > does nothing.
                                >
                                > Word wrap turned on - double click selects paragraph.

                                Okay. This bug I can confirm. It works the same way for me too. If I
                                used this facility, it would be annoying.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 27, 2001
                                  tenu@... wrote:

                                  > > I generally think of a bug as being an error committed by the
                                  > > author, in this case the 'bug' is a limitation of the programming
                                  > > software.
                                  >
                                  > A bug is a bug, no matter what causes it.
                                  >
                                  > Two more bugs:

                                  > Selecting a paragraph by double-clicking in the
                                  > gutter works, shifted double-click below to extend
                                  > the selection selects (at most) one line too much.
                                  > The number of extra chars is the length of the last
                                  > selected line.
                                  >
                                  > These happen with NTP4.86, on Win98SE and Win2000.

                                  Hello, Jorma isn't it,

                                  I can see your point about bugs being bugs, although I don't
                                  agree. But it looks like NTP can tell the difference between a
                                  correct anchor tag and an incorrect one.

                                  Both tags render properly in Netscape also. I assume the reason
                                  'bar' doesn't render as regular text color is because of the
                                  superfluous space in the tag. Not being an expert I can't be
                                  sure but, notwithstanding the fact that both display in a browser
                                  correctly, isn't that bad html code?

                                  On the second bug, that's probably a feature I would use once in
                                  a while but I can't find it in NoteTab help, can you give me a
                                  clue where to look?

                                  hrs
                                • tenu@sci.fi
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 28, 2001
                                    --- In notetab@y..., "Harvey R. Savage" <hsavage@s...> wrote:
                                    > Hello, Jorma isn't it,
                                    Yes, it is :)

                                    > But it looks like NTP can tell the difference between a
                                    > correct anchor tag and an incorrect one.

                                    They are both correct. Tags can have extra whitespace anywhere
                                    except between "<" and tag name.

                                    > Both tags render properly in Netscape also. I assume the reason
                                    > 'bar' doesn't render as regular text color is because of the
                                    > superfluous space in the tag. Not being an expert I can't be
                                    > sure but, notwithstanding the fact that both display in a browser
                                    > correctly, isn't that bad html code?

                                    No, it isn't. It could even be written as
                                    which still is valid HTML.

                                    > On the second bug, that's probably a feature I would use once in
                                    > a while but I can't find it in NoteTab help, can you give me a
                                    > clue where to look?

                                    As far as I know, it isn't there. I stumbled on selecting paragraph
                                    by experimenting, expanding selection with shift is common in Windows.
                                  • Charles
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 28, 2001
                                      Quoth hrs:
                                      > > > Now before selecting the block, type a space after 85.0, to make the
                                      > > > block 5 wide, and select the whole incl. the whitespace. If you do
                                      > > > Block-Sum you will have the correct SUM.
                                      > > Hrrrm... That, or put an extra 0 at the end, or at the beginning. I
                                      > > still say it's a bug ;)
                                      > >

                                      > Sir,
                                      Okay, I'm switching my mail program's settings. I was going to put in
                                      'Just Charles', but then thought, no, that might raise issues as well.
                                      *laughs*

                                      > Making the bottom line of the block longest, as Hugo stated, is a
                                      > work-around, probably the easiest I know, for selecting a block
                                      > to cut and paste, and/or calculate, that will work correctly.
                                      >
                                      > AS I UNDERSTAND, from following these lists, small annoyances
                                      > like this are caused by the limitations of the (programming
                                      > language - input control), Delphi, I believe.
                                      Yeah, not surprising. This tends to be the biggest limiting factor for
                                      lots of programs. "Well, the language just won't let us DO that..." :/ I'm
                                      not whining (at least, in my own ears), just stating. I'm all a-flutter
                                      over NTP too much :)

                                      > Most, or all, of these annoyances will disappear with Version 5.x
                                      > of NoteTab. The (newer, newest) version of Delphi is used to
                                      > build NTP 5.x.
                                      >
                                      > I generally think of a bug as being an error committed by the
                                      > author, in this case the 'bug' is a limitation of the programming
                                      > software.
                                      Well, 'bug' being not necessarily an error by the author, but more of...
                                      hm, how to put it. The results of an operation which are not
                                      expected/desired/logical? Even if, say, the program crashes due to a memory
                                      fault which is in the compiler's fault, and not the author's - that's still
                                      a bug. WHOSE bug it is is the issue ;)

                                      > It's still annoying but, it helps a little to know why and that
                                      > it will disappear with the next version.
                                      Nah, I'm just bouncy with anticipation, that's all ;)
                                      But your explanation is welcomed :)

                                      --Charles
                                    • Harvey R. Savage
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 28, 2001
                                        tenu@... wrote:

                                        > > isn't that bad html code?
                                        >
                                        > No, it isn't. It could even be written as
                                        > which still is valid HTML.
                                        >
                                        > > On the second bug, that's probably a feature I would use once in
                                        > > a while but I can't find it in NoteTab help, can you give me a
                                        > > clue where to look?
                                        >
                                        > As far as I know, it isn't there. I stumbled on selecting paragraph
                                        > by experimenting, expanding selection with shift is common in Windows.

                                        Hello Jorma,

                                        I think we still disagree about the extra spaces in html being
                                        proper but, regardless of that, it does display correctly in
                                        browsers.

                                        On paragraph selection, I couldn't find it in help after a lot of
                                        searching. I loaded several documents with actual paragraphs,
                                        that is, 1 crlf at the end of several lines of text and wordwrap
                                        on. I must have tried the - double-click in gutter, no shift or
                                        other keys - at least a 100 times.

                                        It never failed. That is a handy feature, although, I don't
                                        actually do a lot of document editing.

                                        I'm running Win98SE

                                        hrs
                                      • tenu@sci.fi
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 28, 2001
                                          --- In notetab@y..., "Harvey R. Savage" <hsavage@s...> wrote:
                                          > I think we still disagree about the extra spaces in html being
                                          > proper but, regardless of that, it does display correctly in
                                          > browsers.

                                          search "whitespace" on this page:
                                          http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/1995-archive/Text.html

                                          Also, see section "Tags" on
                                          http://www2.iicm.edu/0x811bc833_0x0005847a

                                          > On paragraph selection, I couldn't find it in help after a lot of
                                          > searching. I loaded several documents with actual paragraphs,
                                          > that is, 1 crlf at the end of several lines of text and wordwrap
                                          > on. I must have tried the - double-click in gutter, no shift or
                                          > other keys - at least a 100 times.
                                          >
                                          > It never failed. That is a handy feature, although, I don't
                                          > actually do a lot of document editing.

                                          That doesn't fail, but if you, after selecting one
                                          paragraph, press shift and double-click the gutter
                                          left of NEXT paragraph, it gets selected - *here*
                                          comes the bug - with part of paragraph below.

                                          Extending the selection bacwards works fine, BTW.

                                          Jorma
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 28, 2001
                                            Hi Dr. Paul & Jorma,

                                            In the future, if you think there is a bug in NoteTab, please
                                            post over on the ntb-NextRelease list where we can test to
                                            confirm if what is being reported is a bug or not. The beta
                                            testers hang out over there and it is also where
                                            suggestions/wishes can be posted. Doing it that way frees up the
                                            NoteTab Basic list for the basic discussion/use of NoteTab. I
                                            copied the Next Release list. My comments follow.

                                            >> > When you say that <a href="foo" >bar</a> doesn't render as
                                            >> > intended, what piece of software is doing the rendering?
                                            >>
                                            >> NTP, "Highlight HTML Tags" selected. "bar" should be
                                            >> rendered with standard text color.
                                            >
                                            >Ah, now I understand. But I can't confirm this bug.

                                            It is not a bug, but incorrect syntax (HTML code).

                                            I ran HTMLValidator over the following. The first of the three
                                            "a" tags below gets a warning (Line 6 in my document), but the
                                            second two use proper syntax and therefore no comment was made on
                                            them. Actually, it is good that Eric did not put a bug in
                                            NoteTab to make ">bar<" in black (or custom) text.

                                            <head>
                                            <title>uolhulo</title>
                                            </head>

                                            Line 6:
                                            Spaces found before the character '>'. Text should immediately
                                            end with the character '>'.

                                            >> > If so, I still don't understand, because double-clicking there
                                            >> > does nothing.
                                            >>
                                            >> Word wrap turned on - double click selects paragraph.
                                            >
                                            >Okay. This bug I can confirm. It works the same way for me too.
                                            >If I used this facility, it would be annoying.

                                            I do not see a bug there at all. It is a feature in NoteTab Pro.
                                            When you place the cursor in the left gutter to the point that
                                            the mouse pointer changes direction and double click it is
                                            suppose to select the whole paragraph.

                                            Remember that Pro uses a different input control than NoteTab
                                            Standard/Light. In Std/Light and many other programs triple
                                            clicking anywhere in the paragraph selects the whole paragraph.
                                            Most likely any program using Windows' rich edit control will
                                            have the 3 click; select paragraph. Eric had to program the
                                            double click/select paragraph (if I am not mistaken) into Pro's
                                            input control (Orpheus control from TurboPower). It comes in
                                            real handy when you want to drag/drop, cut, or copy paragraphs.

                                            Happy Test'n,
                                            Jody Adair

                                            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 28, 2001
                                              Hi Jorma,

                                              Perhaps you are correct if the documentation you referenced is up
                                              to date. I think I will report the HTMLValidator what is going
                                              on and see what they say; their latest version gives a warning
                                              about it. FWIW though, to me, I think it is sloppy coding to
                                              leave a space before the closing delimiter in a starting tag. I'm
                                              copying the HTML list this so perhaps one of the pros (not that
                                              you are not) can set me straight on this. Also, FWIW, HTMLValidator
                                              does not report a space on either side of the equal sign which is
                                              mentioned as OK on your "whitespace" link.

                                              Re: <a href="foo.htm" >bar</a> <--- the whitespace ---> .htm" >

                                              >> I think we still disagree about the extra spaces in html being
                                              >> proper but, regardless of that, it does display correctly in
                                              >> browsers.
                                              >
                                              >search "whitespace" on this page:
                                              ><http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/1995-archive/Text.html>http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/1995-archive/Text.html
                                              >
                                              >Also, see section "Tags" on
                                              ><http://www2.iicm.edu/0x811bc833_0x0005847a>http://www2.iicm.edu/0x811bc833_0x0005847a

                                              Happy HTML'n!

                                              The NoteTab and Html List...
                                            • Eric G.V. Fookes
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Oct 1, 2001
                                                Hi Jorma,

                                                > > When you say that <a href="foo" >bar</a> doesn't render as intended,
                                                > > what piece of software is doing the rendering?
                                                >
                                                >NTP, "Highlight HTML Tags" selected. "bar" should be
                                                >rendered with standard text color.

                                                Sorry about the late reply -- better late than never <g>.

                                                You're quite right that the syntax highlighting is not correct. There's a
                                                reason for that though. I designed the highlighting on an input control
                                                that was not designed for such a feature. My main concern was to offer
                                                helpful syntax highlighting without affecting the performance of the text
                                                control. The downside is that it is less forgiving than other syntax
                                                highlighting methods.

                                                I had to solve a highlighting problem when Java or VB code was used in HTML
                                                pages. Expressions like the following: "for (var i = 0; i < 10; i ++) { if
                                                j > k ...}" completely messed up the HTML highlighting. The best solution I
                                                could find was to ignore ">" and "<" characters if they are respectively
                                                preceded of followed by a space character. Of course, this means that tags
                                                like the one you showed above are not rendered correctly. Surely, removing
                                                the extra space from your code is the simplest fix, no?

                                                Regards,
                                                Eric G.V. Fookes