Re: [NTB] Editing an Outline as a Document (ARGH... Help, I forgot how to)

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
      Hi LaurieK,

      >> FYI, you can edit all the topics in an Outline if you are
      >> editing the same thing using Replace All; the focused Topic is
      >> not all that is effected.
      >
      >I understand how to edit the headings, I just have an exported
      >file from another program which is in TXT format and I wanted to
      >make it into an outline.... I'd have to go through the entire
      >thing and look for the HEADERS and add the H=" " to the lines, I
      >was hoping I could do that as I have time but have the entire
      >document listed as an OTL file, then just open it when I have
      >time to create or continue to create the headings.

      Yes, you can do what you want just by opening the text document.
      I added the other information just to add some more information. ;)

      Once you add the "= V4 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30"
      header you will need to use the InsertFile to open it as a
      document (like the Open as Document feature in the Clipbook
      Library's combo box - the small box with the Library names in
      it). So, since you want to do it a little at a time I'd wait
      until you have all the headings formatted. See the in the Help
      file for more kelp and a tip for wrapping the headings with a
      Clip. If all the headings in the text file are separated
      differently than the rest of the text/paragraphs, you could use
      the Replace tool and a regular expression (or make a Clip) to
      easily format the file. Say for example that there are always
      two blank lines above each heading in the text file then you
      could use the Replace tool marking it for a RegExp or use the
      ^!Replace command (which I just added to my Outline Library - see
      below for more information). If you use the Replace tool you can
      wrap the headings pretty easy by using the Find Next button (or
      F3) skipping over the paragraphs that have a blank line between
      them and just do a single Replace on the actual headings.

      Find \n\n\n{.*}$ and replace with \n\n\nH="\1"

      That assumes there are no other places having two or more blank lines.

      I have a simple Clip to aid in wrapping the headings (WrapHeader)
      in a text file to convert it to the Outline format in my Outline
      format along with some others tools such as making an index for
      your topic headings with a click, adding the =V4 file header...
      It also converts Outlines to HTML with [hyperlinks] converted and
      put into HTML frames and many more things dealing with Outlines.

      http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/outline.zip

    • djust@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2001
        I was hoping I could do that as I have time
        > but have the entire document listed as an OTL file, then just open
        it when I
        > have time to create or continue to create the headings.

        I was doing that for a while. I would use Wayne's clip to un-.otl it
        when I wanted to work on it, and just delete the first line which the
        clip adds to use it as an .otl. If you're even lazier than I am
        (hard to imagine), I suppose that you could set up a clipbar button
        to delete the first line when you want to re-.otl it, and another to
        run Wayne's clip.

        I seem to remember that the file extension can stay .otl all of the
        time; NTP will not read it as an .otl when Wayne's first line is
        there, but I'm not sure. Either try it or wait for Jody or someone
        to supply that fact.

        David.
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
          David,

          At 06:21 AM 9/6/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >I seem to remember that the file extension can stay .otl all of the
          >time; NTP will not read it as an .otl when Wayne's first line is
          >there, but I'm not sure. Either try it or wait for Jody or someone
          >to supply that fact.

          FWIW
          NoteTab doesn't care what the extension is. When it reads the header, it
          knows it is an NoteTab Outline document
          when it sees the word Outline in the Header.

          You can take a .OTL file and change the extension to .TXT and verify it.

          Regards,

          Jim

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
            Hi Jim, David, and Laurie,

            (LaurieK, you asked about an Acronym Clip the other day when I
            misread you because of reading too fast as I often do on the
            lists. Anyway, look in the Utilities Library for "Paste Internet
            acronym" under text processing. Sorry for the late reply.;)

            >> I seem to remember that the file extension can stay .otl all of
            >> the time; NTP will not read it as an .otl when Wayne's first
            >> line is there, but I'm not sure. Either try it or wait for
            >> Jody or someone to supply that fact.
            >
            >FWIW
            >NoteTab doesn't care what the extension is. When it reads the
            >header, it knows it is an NoteTab Outline document when it sees
            >the word Outline in the Header.
            >
            >You can take a .OTL file and change the extension to .TXT and
            >verify it.

            If you want to keep editing an Outline file a bit at a time,
            first insert the file into a new document as I mentioned before.
            Add some text in front of the =V4 file header that designates it
            as an Outline (or move it down a line and maybe add a note on the
            first line). (The word Outline in the header is what makes the
            difference between a Library and an Outline.) Anyhow, you should
            be able to open it when you want to edit it and save. When you
            get done with all the editing, restore the =V4 header, save, and
            Reload.