Over 99% of resources used when loading NTP

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
      After a miserable crash last month I've added the Windows Resource
      Meter to my system tray to remind me when I get close to overloading
      my system.

      And now, more often than not, when I load NoteTab Pro, I get a warning
      message from Windows telling me that I'm using more that 99% of my
      resources and should shut down some programs. While that warning is
      on the screen the Resource Meter icon appears completely empty.

      But when NTP finishes loading, the Resource Meter returns to it's
      normal state (about 50%).

      Everything seems to work OK once NTP is finally up and running, but I
      still haven't gotten used to those warnings. They always make me feel
      a bit anxious (I think I'm still suffereing Post Traumatic Stress
      Disorder from my most recent horrific crash).

      Do any of you use the Resource Meter, and if so, does it ever give you
      that warning when you load NoteTab?
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
        Hi Clueless in Seattle,

        I believe you will find that most programs except for smaller
        ones and utilities, etc. will show the same readings as you are
        getting. You might try using WinTop found in the Microsoft
        Kernel Power Toys. I do not have a link handy, but if you cannot
        find it please ask on the OffTopic list. If anybody knows the
        link please send it to the OffTopic list or directly to Clueless,
        for he "ain't got" a clue. <vbg> :-)

        >And now, more often than not, when I load NoteTab Pro, I get a
        >warning message from Windows telling me that I'm using more that
        >99% of my resources and should shut down some programs. While
        >that warning is on the screen the Resource Meter icon appears
        >completely empty.
        >
        >But when NTP finishes loading, the Resource Meter returns to it's
        >normal state (about 50%).

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      • Jan Rosenstreich
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
          On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 11:09:42 -0700, Clueless in Seattle wrote:

          >Do any of you use the Resource Meter, and if so, does it ever give you
          >that warning when you load NoteTab?

          I use the Resource Meter and have never received this message while
          though.

          It might be caused by having a large amount of files opening at once
          during program load. Anything else that happens automatically during
          program load may also cause this. My NoteTab opens "plain vanilla", by
          itself - without anything loading or running.

          Jan

          --
          Jan Rosenstreich Mystic Gateway - Holistic Center
          mystic@... http://www.castle.net/~mystic/
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
            Clueless in Seattle wrote:

            > message from Windows telling me that I'm using more that 99% of my
            > resources and should shut down some programs.
            >
            > Do any of you use the Resource Meter, and if so, does it ever give you
            > that warning when you load NoteTab?

            Clueless,

            I do use a resource a resource meter, this one is incorporated
            into the RamIdle Utility. Typically, I load NTP with 3 or 4
            files and the resource meter 6%, never given a warning.

            I just checked Quicken 2000 and the resource meter dropped 13%
            and stayed at that level. My recommendation find another
            resource meter that gives more useful information.

            hrs
          • janeinindy@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
              av1611@... writes: