Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      LaurieK wrote:

      > I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
      > I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
      > Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?
      >
      > Laurie

      Laurie,

      I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
      NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.
      NoteTab Light/regular leans just a little more toward word
      processing, variable fonts etc.

      The only thing you need worry about is if you altered any of the
      standard NotePro clips they might be overwritten during the
      install.

      But, if you don't care about word processing tendencies and you
      already have a word processor, delete Light.

      hrs
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
        Hi Don and Others,

        When the chance arises I always tell people not to edit NoteTab's
        Libraries, but to make a copy of them if they want to add their
        own Clips to it or edit the ones that are there. The reason is
        so they do not get overwritten during upgrades. Most of the
        time, the Libraries that come with NoteTab are not changed so one
        can keep on using the copy that was modified. However...

        Eric added a "safety" feature to the installation program dealing
        with the Libraries so you can retrieve your work if you choose to
        overwrite them during installation. If you check the box that
        says do not prompt again (or something like that) and then click
        on Replace the current Libraries will not be overwritten.

        The current Libraries will be saved with the same Library name,
        but the .B00 extension will be added to them. Some of you that
        do not know that and have been around for a few upgrades will
        notice a bunch of the B00 files in the Libraries folder. The
        extension is incremented by one for every install you do whether
        it is an upgrade or not (given you choose to replace the
        Libraries): B00, B01, B02 and so on. I have a Clip to delete all
        the .B00 backup files to make life easy for me. There are a
        couple of the backup files in NoteTab's main folder and in
        Templates.

        You could probably do a file comparison with the Clip in the
        Utilities Library to quickly find the lines that have changed
        which in most cases, will be the changes you made to NoteTab's
        Libraries.

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
          Hi LaurieK,

          >Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation.

          You're welcome!-)

          >...Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an
          >old old old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP
          >200LX Palmtop PC user might try and play around with???

          I purposely tried to escape replying. ;) I do not believe there
          was a DOS version ever unless if there was before v2 when I came
          on board. Here is a bit from Help under History of NoteTab.

          October 1995:
          Introduction of the first version of NoteTab (called Mini
          NoteTab) for Windows 3.x. It was one of the first text editors
          (perhaps even the first) to use a tabbed layout instead of the
          cumbersome MDI interface.

          December 1996:
          Favorites dialog box was introduced. This feature made it very
          easy to find files and directories no matter where they are
          located on the hard disk(s).

          January 1997:
          The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
          and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0. Although this feature is
          being increasingly copied, the original Clipbook remains the
          uncontested leader in ease of use, power, and flexibility.

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
            Hi Harvey & LaurieK,

            >> I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in
            >> the face and I did not notice until I went to install it.
            >> Since I am running Note Tab Pro, I would assume it is a good
            >> idea to disregard this pre-release?

            >I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
            >NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.

            You can run Pro and Std/Light from the same folder and use the
            same support files (Libraries, Templates...). You can actually
            run more than one copy of any of the versions in the same folder
            by renaming the executable (NotePro.exe to Fun.exe). NoteTab
            will make an INI file using the name of the EXE file (Fun.exe -
            Fun.ini). Basically, that is why you can run Pro and Std together.

            See the Comparison Chart in Help for the key differences between
            the versions. I did not mention backing up NoteTab.exe (in the
            Light flavor) because it is not big deal if you overwrite it w/o
            a backup. If it messes up, no biggie, download as many free
            copies as you want of Light. ;) Some people keep Light around
            for when they need a few of the features that it has that Pro
            does not like variable width fonts in the main edit window or
            multiple tab stop settings. Light is Standard missing the Spell
            checker, editing of Outlines, and whatever else you see in the
            Comparison Chart.

            http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

          • David McIntosh
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
              hI
              What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

              THANKYOU DAVE

              Jody wrote:

              > Hi LaurieK,
              >
              > >> <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe
              >
              > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
              > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
              >
              > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
              > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
              > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
              > directory structure.
              >
              > Happy NoteTab'n,
              > Jody Adair
              >
              > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              > http://www.notetab.net
              >
              > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
              > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                Dave McIntosh wrote:

                > What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro, Std or
                Light are 4.85

                http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                Laurie
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                  Hi Laurie & Dave & All,

                  >> What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.
                  >
                  >In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro,
                  >Std or Light are 4.85
                  >
                  ><http://www.notetab.com/products.htm>http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                  That is the most current full release of Std. We are now testing
                  pre-release number one of Light which is for all practical
                  purposes (for testing) NoteTab Standard. You just cannot test
                  the features that are in Std that are not in Light. In short,
                  besides that, Light and Std are the same, so you could help out
                  and help yourself if you use Std (possibly finding a bug), by
                  running Light (pr1) for awhile.

                  <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Hi Jody

                    I see in my main NTPro folder and in the Libraries folder, about half a
                    dozen file names that have B00, B01, B02, and B03 extensions. May I
                    conclude from your recent message in this thread that I can safely remove
                    them all? It does look like you said that, but I want to be *sure* before I
                    do any wholesale deletions.

                    I'm running NTPro v4.84 which has been upgraded several times. I'm waiting
                    til v4.86 comes out to do my next upgrade. Win 98 on a 350 Pentium 350Mhz.

                    Thanks for the continuing help,

                    Ray Shapp
                    Watchung, NJ
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                      Hi Ray,

                      Yes, you can delete them all. The easiest way if you do not have
                      a Clip built for it is to right click over a blank area in
                      Windows Explorer where the files are listed and choose Sort by
                      Extension. Click once on the first file while holding down the
                      Shift key, and then click on the last of them. (Just hold your
                      mouse over the file if you are using the single click option in
                      Windows Explorer.) After selecting the range of backup files use
                      the Delete feature to trash them. You need to do the Libraries,
                      Templates, and main NoteTab folders.