Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      LaurieK wrote:

      > Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile
      > ... do you know if there is an old old old old dos only version
      > of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
      > might try and play around with???
      >
      > Thanks....
      >
      > Laurie

      Laurie,

      Jody or Eric will have to be the last word about a dos version.
      I started using NoteTab when the version was (3.51 or 3.52), I
      believe. The operating system of the masses was Windows 3.1.

      My first copy was 'Super NoteTab' and I switched sometime later
      to NoteTab Pro to take maximum advantage of the Clip language and
      its potential. But then, procrastination set in. "Always put
      off until tomorrow what you can do today"

      I liked NoteTab because it was easy and did a lot more than
      notepad but, I knew next to nothing about clipping until a few
      months ago when joined a few of these lists.

      Now I sort through the email and when I see an interesting (to
      me) query about - can NoteTab do this - I try to see if it can.

      hrs
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
        LaurieK wrote:

        > I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
        > I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
        > Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?
        >
        > Laurie

        Laurie,

        I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
        NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.
        NoteTab Light/regular leans just a little more toward word
        processing, variable fonts etc.

        The only thing you need worry about is if you altered any of the
        standard NotePro clips they might be overwritten during the
        install.

        But, if you don't care about word processing tendencies and you
        already have a word processor, delete Light.

        hrs
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
          Hi Don and Others,

          When the chance arises I always tell people not to edit NoteTab's
          Libraries, but to make a copy of them if they want to add their
          own Clips to it or edit the ones that are there. The reason is
          so they do not get overwritten during upgrades. Most of the
          time, the Libraries that come with NoteTab are not changed so one
          can keep on using the copy that was modified. However...

          Eric added a "safety" feature to the installation program dealing
          with the Libraries so you can retrieve your work if you choose to
          overwrite them during installation. If you check the box that
          says do not prompt again (or something like that) and then click
          on Replace the current Libraries will not be overwritten.

          The current Libraries will be saved with the same Library name,
          but the .B00 extension will be added to them. Some of you that
          do not know that and have been around for a few upgrades will
          notice a bunch of the B00 files in the Libraries folder. The
          extension is incremented by one for every install you do whether
          it is an upgrade or not (given you choose to replace the
          Libraries): B00, B01, B02 and so on. I have a Clip to delete all
          the .B00 backup files to make life easy for me. There are a
          couple of the backup files in NoteTab's main folder and in
          Templates.

          You could probably do a file comparison with the Clip in the
          Utilities Library to quickly find the lines that have changed
          which in most cases, will be the changes you made to NoteTab's
          Libraries.

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
            Hi LaurieK,

            >Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation.

            You're welcome!-)

            >...Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an
            >old old old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP
            >200LX Palmtop PC user might try and play around with???

            I purposely tried to escape replying. ;) I do not believe there
            was a DOS version ever unless if there was before v2 when I came
            on board. Here is a bit from Help under History of NoteTab.

            October 1995:
            Introduction of the first version of NoteTab (called Mini
            NoteTab) for Windows 3.x. It was one of the first text editors
            (perhaps even the first) to use a tabbed layout instead of the
            cumbersome MDI interface.

            December 1996:
            Favorites dialog box was introduced. This feature made it very
            easy to find files and directories no matter where they are
            located on the hard disk(s).

            January 1997:
            The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
            and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0. Although this feature is
            being increasingly copied, the original Clipbook remains the
            uncontested leader in ease of use, power, and flexibility.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
              Hi Harvey & LaurieK,

              >> I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in
              >> the face and I did not notice until I went to install it.
              >> Since I am running Note Tab Pro, I would assume it is a good
              >> idea to disregard this pre-release?

              >I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
              >NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.

              You can run Pro and Std/Light from the same folder and use the
              same support files (Libraries, Templates...). You can actually
              run more than one copy of any of the versions in the same folder
              by renaming the executable (NotePro.exe to Fun.exe). NoteTab
              will make an INI file using the name of the EXE file (Fun.exe -
              Fun.ini). Basically, that is why you can run Pro and Std together.

              See the Comparison Chart in Help for the key differences between
              the versions. I did not mention backing up NoteTab.exe (in the
              Light flavor) because it is not big deal if you overwrite it w/o
              a backup. If it messes up, no biggie, download as many free
              copies as you want of Light. ;) Some people keep Light around
              for when they need a few of the features that it has that Pro
              does not like variable width fonts in the main edit window or
              multiple tab stop settings. Light is Standard missing the Spell
              checker, editing of Outlines, and whatever else you see in the
              Comparison Chart.

              http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

            • David McIntosh
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                hI
                What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                THANKYOU DAVE

                Jody wrote:

                > Hi LaurieK,
                >
                > >> <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe
                >
                > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
                > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
                >
                > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
                > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
                > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
                > directory structure.
                >
                > Happy NoteTab'n,
                > Jody Adair
                >
                > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                > http://www.notetab.net
                >
                > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              • LaurieK
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                  Dave McIntosh wrote:

                  > What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                  In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro, Std or
                  Light are 4.85

                  http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                  Laurie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Hi Laurie & Dave & All,

                    >> What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.
                    >
                    >In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro,
                    >Std or Light are 4.85
                    >
                    ><http://www.notetab.com/products.htm>http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                    That is the most current full release of Std. We are now testing
                    pre-release number one of Light which is for all practical
                    purposes (for testing) NoteTab Standard. You just cannot test
                    the features that are in Std that are not in Light. In short,
                    besides that, Light and Std are the same, so you could help out
                    and help yourself if you use Std (possibly finding a bug), by
                    running Light (pr1) for awhile.

                    <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                      Hi Jody

                      I see in my main NTPro folder and in the Libraries folder, about half a
                      dozen file names that have B00, B01, B02, and B03 extensions. May I
                      conclude from your recent message in this thread that I can safely remove
                      them all? It does look like you said that, but I want to be *sure* before I
                      do any wholesale deletions.

                      I'm running NTPro v4.84 which has been upgraded several times. I'm waiting
                      til v4.86 comes out to do my next upgrade. Win 98 on a 350 Pentium 350Mhz.

                      Thanks for the continuing help,

                      Ray Shapp
                      Watchung, NJ
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                        Hi Ray,

                        Yes, you can delete them all. The easiest way if you do not have
                        a Clip built for it is to right click over a blank area in
                        Windows Explorer where the files are listed and choose Sort by
                        Extension. Click once on the first file while holding down the
                        Shift key, and then click on the last of them. (Just hold your
                        mouse over the file if you are using the single click option in
                        Windows Explorer.) After selecting the range of backup files use
                        the Delete feature to trash them. You need to do the Libraries,
                        Templates, and main NoteTab folders.