Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      One thing I have learned the hard way ... when you update versions the
      standard libraries which come packed with notetab are overwritten (after
      prompting) and any custom clips you put in the "packed" libraries will be
      lost. So I now put a copy of such clips (for example I modify the unordered
      list clip in HTML library to default to the value of zero -- some others are
      truly custom built or more complex) into both the HTML library and another
      copy of it into a custom clip library. That way when I update I don't lose
      anything. It has no effect on libraries other than the ones which come
      packed with it.

      ---
      Don Passenger
      mailto:dpasseng@...
      personal: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
      work: http://www.grcourt.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
        LaurieK wrote:

        > Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile
        > ... do you know if there is an old old old old dos only version
        > of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
        > might try and play around with???
        >
        > Thanks....
        >
        > Laurie

        Laurie,

        Jody or Eric will have to be the last word about a dos version.
        I started using NoteTab when the version was (3.51 or 3.52), I
        believe. The operating system of the masses was Windows 3.1.

        My first copy was 'Super NoteTab' and I switched sometime later
        to NoteTab Pro to take maximum advantage of the Clip language and
        its potential. But then, procrastination set in. "Always put
        off until tomorrow what you can do today"

        I liked NoteTab because it was easy and did a lot more than
        notepad but, I knew next to nothing about clipping until a few
        months ago when joined a few of these lists.

        Now I sort through the email and when I see an interesting (to
        me) query about - can NoteTab do this - I try to see if it can.

        hrs
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
          LaurieK wrote:

          > I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
          > I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
          > Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?
          >
          > Laurie

          Laurie,

          I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
          NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.
          NoteTab Light/regular leans just a little more toward word
          processing, variable fonts etc.

          The only thing you need worry about is if you altered any of the
          standard NotePro clips they might be overwritten during the
          install.

          But, if you don't care about word processing tendencies and you
          already have a word processor, delete Light.

          hrs
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
            Hi Don and Others,

            When the chance arises I always tell people not to edit NoteTab's
            Libraries, but to make a copy of them if they want to add their
            own Clips to it or edit the ones that are there. The reason is
            so they do not get overwritten during upgrades. Most of the
            time, the Libraries that come with NoteTab are not changed so one
            can keep on using the copy that was modified. However...

            Eric added a "safety" feature to the installation program dealing
            with the Libraries so you can retrieve your work if you choose to
            overwrite them during installation. If you check the box that
            says do not prompt again (or something like that) and then click
            on Replace the current Libraries will not be overwritten.

            The current Libraries will be saved with the same Library name,
            but the .B00 extension will be added to them. Some of you that
            do not know that and have been around for a few upgrades will
            notice a bunch of the B00 files in the Libraries folder. The
            extension is incremented by one for every install you do whether
            it is an upgrade or not (given you choose to replace the
            Libraries): B00, B01, B02 and so on. I have a Clip to delete all
            the .B00 backup files to make life easy for me. There are a
            couple of the backup files in NoteTab's main folder and in
            Templates.

            You could probably do a file comparison with the Clip in the
            Utilities Library to quickly find the lines that have changed
            which in most cases, will be the changes you made to NoteTab's
            Libraries.

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
              Hi LaurieK,

              >Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation.

              You're welcome!-)

              >...Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an
              >old old old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP
              >200LX Palmtop PC user might try and play around with???

              I purposely tried to escape replying. ;) I do not believe there
              was a DOS version ever unless if there was before v2 when I came
              on board. Here is a bit from Help under History of NoteTab.

              October 1995:
              Introduction of the first version of NoteTab (called Mini
              NoteTab) for Windows 3.x. It was one of the first text editors
              (perhaps even the first) to use a tabbed layout instead of the
              cumbersome MDI interface.

              December 1996:
              Favorites dialog box was introduced. This feature made it very
              easy to find files and directories no matter where they are
              located on the hard disk(s).

              January 1997:
              The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
              and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0. Although this feature is
              being increasingly copied, the original Clipbook remains the
              uncontested leader in ease of use, power, and flexibility.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                Hi Harvey & LaurieK,

                >> I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in
                >> the face and I did not notice until I went to install it.
                >> Since I am running Note Tab Pro, I would assume it is a good
                >> idea to disregard this pre-release?

                >I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                >NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.

                You can run Pro and Std/Light from the same folder and use the
                same support files (Libraries, Templates...). You can actually
                run more than one copy of any of the versions in the same folder
                by renaming the executable (NotePro.exe to Fun.exe). NoteTab
                will make an INI file using the name of the EXE file (Fun.exe -
                Fun.ini). Basically, that is why you can run Pro and Std together.

                See the Comparison Chart in Help for the key differences between
                the versions. I did not mention backing up NoteTab.exe (in the
                Light flavor) because it is not big deal if you overwrite it w/o
                a backup. If it messes up, no biggie, download as many free
                copies as you want of Light. ;) Some people keep Light around
                for when they need a few of the features that it has that Pro
                does not like variable width fonts in the main edit window or
                multiple tab stop settings. Light is Standard missing the Spell
                checker, editing of Outlines, and whatever else you see in the
                Comparison Chart.

                http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

              • David McIntosh
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                  hI
                  What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                  THANKYOU DAVE

                  Jody wrote:

                  > Hi LaurieK,
                  >
                  > >> <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe
                  >
                  > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
                  > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
                  >
                  > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
                  > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
                  > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
                  > directory structure.
                  >
                  > Happy NoteTab'n,
                  > Jody Adair
                  >
                  > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                  > http://www.notetab.net
                  >
                  > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                  > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Dave McIntosh wrote:

                    > What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                    In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro, Std or
                    Light are 4.85

                    http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                    Laurie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                      Hi Laurie & Dave & All,

                      >> What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.
                      >
                      >In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro,
                      >Std or Light are 4.85
                      >
                      ><http://www.notetab.com/products.htm>http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                      That is the most current full release of Std. We are now testing
                      pre-release number one of Light which is for all practical
                      purposes (for testing) NoteTab Standard. You just cannot test
                      the features that are in Std that are not in Light. In short,
                      besides that, Light and Std are the same, so you could help out
                      and help yourself if you use Std (possibly finding a bug), by
                      running Light (pr1) for awhile.

                      <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                        Hi Jody

                        I see in my main NTPro folder and in the Libraries folder, about half a
                        dozen file names that have B00, B01, B02, and B03 extensions. May I
                        conclude from your recent message in this thread that I can safely remove
                        them all? It does look like you said that, but I want to be *sure* before I
                        do any wholesale deletions.

                        I'm running NTPro v4.84 which has been upgraded several times. I'm waiting
                        til v4.86 comes out to do my next upgrade. Win 98 on a 350 Pentium 350Mhz.

                        Thanks for the continuing help,

                        Ray Shapp
                        Watchung, NJ
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                          Hi Ray,

                          Yes, you can delete them all. The easiest way if you do not have
                          a Clip built for it is to right click over a blank area in
                          Windows Explorer where the files are listed and choose Sort by
                          Extension. Click once on the first file while holding down the
                          Shift key, and then click on the last of them. (Just hold your
                          mouse over the file if you are using the single click option in
                          Windows Explorer.) After selecting the range of backup files use
                          the Delete feature to trash them. You need to do the Libraries,
                          Templates, and main NoteTab folders.