Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      Jody wrote:

      > Hi LaurieK,
      >
      > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
      > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
      >
      > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
      > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
      > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
      > directory structure.
      >
      > Happy NoteTab'n,
      > Jody Adair

      Hi Laurie,

      I agree with Jody except, maybe he forgot to mention it, I always
      try to save the older executable (NotePro.exe) by saving a copy
      to another name before installing the new version. If the worst
      happens you can copy your old executable back to NotePro.exe, of
      course after saving the new executable to another name also.

      hrs
    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
        Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation. With the apps
        I work with, its always best to remove and install new, that's why I asked.

        Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile, you know a
        lot... Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an old old
        old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
        might try and play around with???

        Thanks....

        Laurie
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
          One thing I have learned the hard way ... when you update versions the
          standard libraries which come packed with notetab are overwritten (after
          prompting) and any custom clips you put in the "packed" libraries will be
          lost. So I now put a copy of such clips (for example I modify the unordered
          list clip in HTML library to default to the value of zero -- some others are
          truly custom built or more complex) into both the HTML library and another
          copy of it into a custom clip library. That way when I update I don't lose
          anything. It has no effect on libraries other than the ones which come
          packed with it.

          ---
          Don Passenger
          mailto:dpasseng@...
          personal: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
          work: http://www.grcourt.org
          > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
          > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
          >
          > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
          > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
          > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
          > directory structure.
          >
          > Happy NoteTab'n,
          > Jody Adair
          >
          > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          > http://www.notetab.net
          >
          > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
            I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
            I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
            Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?

            Laurie
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
              LaurieK wrote:

              > Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile
              > ... do you know if there is an old old old old dos only version
              > of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
              > might try and play around with???
              >
              > Thanks....
              >
              > Laurie

              Laurie,

              Jody or Eric will have to be the last word about a dos version.
              I started using NoteTab when the version was (3.51 or 3.52), I
              believe. The operating system of the masses was Windows 3.1.

              My first copy was 'Super NoteTab' and I switched sometime later
              to NoteTab Pro to take maximum advantage of the Clip language and
              its potential. But then, procrastination set in. "Always put
              off until tomorrow what you can do today"

              I liked NoteTab because it was easy and did a lot more than
              notepad but, I knew next to nothing about clipping until a few
              months ago when joined a few of these lists.

              Now I sort through the email and when I see an interesting (to
              me) query about - can NoteTab do this - I try to see if it can.

              hrs
            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                LaurieK wrote:

                > I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
                > I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
                > Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?
                >
                > Laurie

                Laurie,

                I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.
                NoteTab Light/regular leans just a little more toward word
                processing, variable fonts etc.

                The only thing you need worry about is if you altered any of the
                standard NotePro clips they might be overwritten during the
                install.

                But, if you don't care about word processing tendencies and you
                already have a word processor, delete Light.

                hrs
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                  Hi Don and Others,

                  When the chance arises I always tell people not to edit NoteTab's
                  Libraries, but to make a copy of them if they want to add their
                  own Clips to it or edit the ones that are there. The reason is
                  so they do not get overwritten during upgrades. Most of the
                  time, the Libraries that come with NoteTab are not changed so one
                  can keep on using the copy that was modified. However...

                  Eric added a "safety" feature to the installation program dealing
                  with the Libraries so you can retrieve your work if you choose to
                  overwrite them during installation. If you check the box that
                  says do not prompt again (or something like that) and then click
                  on Replace the current Libraries will not be overwritten.

                  The current Libraries will be saved with the same Library name,
                  but the .B00 extension will be added to them. Some of you that
                  do not know that and have been around for a few upgrades will
                  notice a bunch of the B00 files in the Libraries folder. The
                  extension is incremented by one for every install you do whether
                  it is an upgrade or not (given you choose to replace the
                  Libraries): B00, B01, B02 and so on. I have a Clip to delete all
                  the .B00 backup files to make life easy for me. There are a
                  couple of the backup files in NoteTab's main folder and in
                  Templates.

                  You could probably do a file comparison with the Clip in the
                  Utilities Library to quickly find the lines that have changed
                  which in most cases, will be the changes you made to NoteTab's
                  Libraries.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                    Hi LaurieK,

                    >Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation.

                    You're welcome!-)

                    >...Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an
                    >old old old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP
                    >200LX Palmtop PC user might try and play around with???

                    I purposely tried to escape replying. ;) I do not believe there
                    was a DOS version ever unless if there was before v2 when I came
                    on board. Here is a bit from Help under History of NoteTab.

                    October 1995:
                    Introduction of the first version of NoteTab (called Mini
                    NoteTab) for Windows 3.x. It was one of the first text editors
                    (perhaps even the first) to use a tabbed layout instead of the
                    cumbersome MDI interface.

                    December 1996:
                    Favorites dialog box was introduced. This feature made it very
                    easy to find files and directories no matter where they are
                    located on the hard disk(s).

                    January 1997:
                    The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
                    and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0. Although this feature is
                    being increasingly copied, the original Clipbook remains the
                    uncontested leader in ease of use, power, and flexibility.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                      Hi Harvey & LaurieK,

                      >> I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in
                      >> the face and I did not notice until I went to install it.
                      >> Since I am running Note Tab Pro, I would assume it is a good
                      >> idea to disregard this pre-release?

                      >I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                      >NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.

                      You can run Pro and Std/Light from the same folder and use the
                      same support files (Libraries, Templates...). You can actually
                      run more than one copy of any of the versions in the same folder
                      by renaming the executable (NotePro.exe to Fun.exe). NoteTab
                      will make an INI file using the name of the EXE file (Fun.exe -
                      Fun.ini). Basically, that is why you can run Pro and Std together.

                      See the Comparison Chart in Help for the key differences between
                      the versions. I did not mention backing up NoteTab.exe (in the
                      Light flavor) because it is not big deal if you overwrite it w/o
                      a backup. If it messes up, no biggie, download as many free
                      copies as you want of Light. ;) Some people keep Light around
                      for when they need a few of the features that it has that Pro
                      does not like variable width fonts in the main edit window or
                      multiple tab stop settings. Light is Standard missing the Spell
                      checker, editing of Outlines, and whatever else you see in the
                      Comparison Chart.

                      http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

                    • David McIntosh
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                        hI
                        What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                        THANKYOU DAVE

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                          Dave McIntosh wrote:

                          > What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                          In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro, Std or
                          Light are 4.85

                          http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                          Laurie
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                            Hi Laurie & Dave & All,

                            >> What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.
                            >
                            >In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro,
                            >Std or Light are 4.85
                            >
                            ><http://www.notetab.com/products.htm>http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                            That is the most current full release of Std. We are now testing
                            pre-release number one of Light which is for all practical
                            purposes (for testing) NoteTab Standard. You just cannot test
                            the features that are in Std that are not in Light. In short,
                            besides that, Light and Std are the same, so you could help out
                            and help yourself if you use Std (possibly finding a bug), by
                            running Light (pr1) for awhile.

                            <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

                          • Ray Shapp
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                              Hi Jody

                              I see in my main NTPro folder and in the Libraries folder, about half a
                              dozen file names that have B00, B01, B02, and B03 extensions. May I
                              conclude from your recent message in this thread that I can safely remove
                              them all? It does look like you said that, but I want to be *sure* before I
                              do any wholesale deletions.

                              I'm running NTPro v4.84 which has been upgraded several times. I'm waiting
                              til v4.86 comes out to do my next upgrade. Win 98 on a 350 Pentium 350Mhz.

                              Thanks for the continuing help,

                              Ray Shapp
                              Watchung, NJ
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                Hi Ray,

                                Yes, you can delete them all. The easiest way if you do not have
                                a Clip built for it is to right click over a blank area in
                                Windows Explorer where the files are listed and choose Sort by
                                Extension. Click once on the first file while holding down the
                                Shift key, and then click on the last of them. (Just hold your
                                mouse over the file if you are using the single click option in
                                Windows Explorer.) After selecting the range of backup files use
                                the Delete feature to trash them. You need to do the Libraries,
                                Templates, and main NoteTab folders.