Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hi LaurieK,

      >> <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

      >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
      >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend

      You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
      their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
      have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
      directory structure.

    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
        Jody wrote:

        > Hi LaurieK,
        >
        > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
        > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
        >
        > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
        > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
        > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
        > directory structure.
        >
        > Happy NoteTab'n,
        > Jody Adair

        Hi Laurie,

        I agree with Jody except, maybe he forgot to mention it, I always
        try to save the older executable (NotePro.exe) by saving a copy
        to another name before installing the new version. If the worst
        happens you can copy your old executable back to NotePro.exe, of
        course after saving the new executable to another name also.

        hrs
      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
          Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation. With the apps
          I work with, its always best to remove and install new, that's why I asked.

          Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile, you know a
          lot... Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an old old
          old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
          might try and play around with???

          Thanks....

          Laurie
        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
            One thing I have learned the hard way ... when you update versions the
            standard libraries which come packed with notetab are overwritten (after
            prompting) and any custom clips you put in the "packed" libraries will be
            lost. So I now put a copy of such clips (for example I modify the unordered
            list clip in HTML library to default to the value of zero -- some others are
            truly custom built or more complex) into both the HTML library and another
            copy of it into a custom clip library. That way when I update I don't lose
            anything. It has no effect on libraries other than the ones which come
            packed with it.

            ---
            Don Passenger
            mailto:dpasseng@...
            personal: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
            work: http://www.grcourt.org
            > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
            > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
            >
            > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
            > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
            > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
            > directory structure.
            >
            > Happy NoteTab'n,
            > Jody Adair
            >
            > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
            > http://www.notetab.net
            >
            > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
            > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • LaurieK
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
              I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
              I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
              Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?

              Laurie
            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                LaurieK wrote:

                > Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile
                > ... do you know if there is an old old old old dos only version
                > of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
                > might try and play around with???
                >
                > Thanks....
                >
                > Laurie

                Laurie,

                Jody or Eric will have to be the last word about a dos version.
                I started using NoteTab when the version was (3.51 or 3.52), I
                believe. The operating system of the masses was Windows 3.1.

                My first copy was 'Super NoteTab' and I switched sometime later
                to NoteTab Pro to take maximum advantage of the Clip language and
                its potential. But then, procrastination set in. "Always put
                off until tomorrow what you can do today"

                I liked NoteTab because it was easy and did a lot more than
                notepad but, I knew next to nothing about clipping until a few
                months ago when joined a few of these lists.

                Now I sort through the email and when I see an interesting (to
                me) query about - can NoteTab do this - I try to see if it can.

                hrs
              • Harvey R. Savage
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                  LaurieK wrote:

                  > I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
                  > I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
                  > Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?
                  >
                  > Laurie

                  Laurie,

                  I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                  NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.
                  NoteTab Light/regular leans just a little more toward word
                  processing, variable fonts etc.

                  The only thing you need worry about is if you altered any of the
                  standard NotePro clips they might be overwritten during the
                  install.

                  But, if you don't care about word processing tendencies and you
                  already have a word processor, delete Light.

                  hrs
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                    Hi Don and Others,

                    When the chance arises I always tell people not to edit NoteTab's
                    Libraries, but to make a copy of them if they want to add their
                    own Clips to it or edit the ones that are there. The reason is
                    so they do not get overwritten during upgrades. Most of the
                    time, the Libraries that come with NoteTab are not changed so one
                    can keep on using the copy that was modified. However...

                    Eric added a "safety" feature to the installation program dealing
                    with the Libraries so you can retrieve your work if you choose to
                    overwrite them during installation. If you check the box that
                    says do not prompt again (or something like that) and then click
                    on Replace the current Libraries will not be overwritten.

                    The current Libraries will be saved with the same Library name,
                    but the .B00 extension will be added to them. Some of you that
                    do not know that and have been around for a few upgrades will
                    notice a bunch of the B00 files in the Libraries folder. The
                    extension is incremented by one for every install you do whether
                    it is an upgrade or not (given you choose to replace the
                    Libraries): B00, B01, B02 and so on. I have a Clip to delete all
                    the .B00 backup files to make life easy for me. There are a
                    couple of the backup files in NoteTab's main folder and in
                    Templates.

                    You could probably do a file comparison with the Clip in the
                    Utilities Library to quickly find the lines that have changed
                    which in most cases, will be the changes you made to NoteTab's
                    Libraries.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                      Hi LaurieK,

                      >Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation.

                      You're welcome!-)

                      >...Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an
                      >old old old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP
                      >200LX Palmtop PC user might try and play around with???

                      I purposely tried to escape replying. ;) I do not believe there
                      was a DOS version ever unless if there was before v2 when I came
                      on board. Here is a bit from Help under History of NoteTab.

                      October 1995:
                      Introduction of the first version of NoteTab (called Mini
                      NoteTab) for Windows 3.x. It was one of the first text editors
                      (perhaps even the first) to use a tabbed layout instead of the
                      cumbersome MDI interface.

                      December 1996:
                      Favorites dialog box was introduced. This feature made it very
                      easy to find files and directories no matter where they are
                      located on the hard disk(s).

                      January 1997:
                      The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
                      and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0. Although this feature is
                      being increasingly copied, the original Clipbook remains the
                      uncontested leader in ease of use, power, and flexibility.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                        Hi Harvey & LaurieK,

                        >> I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in
                        >> the face and I did not notice until I went to install it.
                        >> Since I am running Note Tab Pro, I would assume it is a good
                        >> idea to disregard this pre-release?

                        >I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                        >NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.

                        You can run Pro and Std/Light from the same folder and use the
                        same support files (Libraries, Templates...). You can actually
                        run more than one copy of any of the versions in the same folder
                        by renaming the executable (NotePro.exe to Fun.exe). NoteTab
                        will make an INI file using the name of the EXE file (Fun.exe -
                        Fun.ini). Basically, that is why you can run Pro and Std together.

                        See the Comparison Chart in Help for the key differences between
                        the versions. I did not mention backing up NoteTab.exe (in the
                        Light flavor) because it is not big deal if you overwrite it w/o
                        a backup. If it messes up, no biggie, download as many free
                        copies as you want of Light. ;) Some people keep Light around
                        for when they need a few of the features that it has that Pro
                        does not like variable width fonts in the main edit window or
                        multiple tab stop settings. Light is Standard missing the Spell
                        checker, editing of Outlines, and whatever else you see in the
                        Comparison Chart.

                        http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

                      • David McIntosh
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                          hI
                          What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                          THANKYOU DAVE

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                            Dave McIntosh wrote:

                            > What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                            In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro, Std or
                            Light are 4.85

                            http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                            Laurie
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                              Hi Laurie & Dave & All,

                              >> What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.
                              >
                              >In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro,
                              >Std or Light are 4.85
                              >
                              ><http://www.notetab.com/products.htm>http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                              That is the most current full release of Std. We are now testing
                              pre-release number one of Light which is for all practical
                              purposes (for testing) NoteTab Standard. You just cannot test
                              the features that are in Std that are not in Light. In short,
                              besides that, Light and Std are the same, so you could help out
                              and help yourself if you use Std (possibly finding a bug), by
                              running Light (pr1) for awhile.

                              <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

                            • Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                Hi Jody

                                I see in my main NTPro folder and in the Libraries folder, about half a
                                dozen file names that have B00, B01, B02, and B03 extensions. May I
                                conclude from your recent message in this thread that I can safely remove
                                them all? It does look like you said that, but I want to be *sure* before I
                                do any wholesale deletions.

                                I'm running NTPro v4.84 which has been upgraded several times. I'm waiting
                                til v4.86 comes out to do my next upgrade. Win 98 on a 350 Pentium 350Mhz.

                                Thanks for the continuing help,

                                Ray Shapp
                                Watchung, NJ
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                  Hi Ray,

                                  Yes, you can delete them all. The easiest way if you do not have
                                  a Clip built for it is to right click over a blank area in
                                  Windows Explorer where the files are listed and choose Sort by
                                  Extension. Click once on the first file while holding down the
                                  Shift key, and then click on the last of them. (Just hold your
                                  mouse over the file if you are using the single click option in
                                  Windows Explorer.) After selecting the range of backup files use
                                  the Delete feature to trash them. You need to do the Libraries,
                                  Templates, and main NoteTab folders.