Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • Bryan Guignard
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      Laurie

      What a brilliant thought!! I have the same 200LX and would LOVE to be able to run NoteTab on it...even if I had to upgrade the RAM. The built in
      tools are great, but a DOS version of NoteTab would be even better. I'm eager to hear what Eric has to say.

      Bryan

      >>I am wondering if it is possible that you might have, in your old archives somewhere a small foot print >> of a Note Tab that might run on the
      200LX.
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
        Hi LaurieK,

        >> <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

        >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
        >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend

        You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
        their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
        have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
        directory structure.

      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
          Jody wrote:

          > Hi LaurieK,
          >
          > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
          > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
          >
          > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
          > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
          > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
          > directory structure.
          >
          > Happy NoteTab'n,
          > Jody Adair

          Hi Laurie,

          I agree with Jody except, maybe he forgot to mention it, I always
          try to save the older executable (NotePro.exe) by saving a copy
          to another name before installing the new version. If the worst
          happens you can copy your old executable back to NotePro.exe, of
          course after saving the new executable to another name also.

          hrs
        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
            Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation. With the apps
            I work with, its always best to remove and install new, that's why I asked.

            Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile, you know a
            lot... Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an old old
            old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
            might try and play around with???

            Thanks....

            Laurie
          • Don Passenger
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
              One thing I have learned the hard way ... when you update versions the
              standard libraries which come packed with notetab are overwritten (after
              prompting) and any custom clips you put in the "packed" libraries will be
              lost. So I now put a copy of such clips (for example I modify the unordered
              list clip in HTML library to default to the value of zero -- some others are
              truly custom built or more complex) into both the HTML library and another
              copy of it into a custom clip library. That way when I update I don't lose
              anything. It has no effect on libraries other than the ones which come
              packed with it.

              ---
              Don Passenger
              mailto:dpasseng@...
              personal: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
              work: http://www.grcourt.org
              > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
              > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
              >
              > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
              > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
              > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
              > directory structure.
              >
              > Happy NoteTab'n,
              > Jody Adair
              >
              > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
              > http://www.notetab.net
              >
              > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
              > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
                I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
                Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?

                Laurie
              • Harvey R. Savage
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                  LaurieK wrote:

                  > Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile
                  > ... do you know if there is an old old old old dos only version
                  > of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
                  > might try and play around with???
                  >
                  > Thanks....
                  >
                  > Laurie

                  Laurie,

                  Jody or Eric will have to be the last word about a dos version.
                  I started using NoteTab when the version was (3.51 or 3.52), I
                  believe. The operating system of the masses was Windows 3.1.

                  My first copy was 'Super NoteTab' and I switched sometime later
                  to NoteTab Pro to take maximum advantage of the Clip language and
                  its potential. But then, procrastination set in. "Always put
                  off until tomorrow what you can do today"

                  I liked NoteTab because it was easy and did a lot more than
                  notepad but, I knew next to nothing about clipping until a few
                  months ago when joined a few of these lists.

                  Now I sort through the email and when I see an interesting (to
                  me) query about - can NoteTab do this - I try to see if it can.

                  hrs
                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                    LaurieK wrote:

                    > I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
                    > I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
                    > Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?
                    >
                    > Laurie

                    Laurie,

                    I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                    NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.
                    NoteTab Light/regular leans just a little more toward word
                    processing, variable fonts etc.

                    The only thing you need worry about is if you altered any of the
                    standard NotePro clips they might be overwritten during the
                    install.

                    But, if you don't care about word processing tendencies and you
                    already have a word processor, delete Light.

                    hrs
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                      Hi Don and Others,

                      When the chance arises I always tell people not to edit NoteTab's
                      Libraries, but to make a copy of them if they want to add their
                      own Clips to it or edit the ones that are there. The reason is
                      so they do not get overwritten during upgrades. Most of the
                      time, the Libraries that come with NoteTab are not changed so one
                      can keep on using the copy that was modified. However...

                      Eric added a "safety" feature to the installation program dealing
                      with the Libraries so you can retrieve your work if you choose to
                      overwrite them during installation. If you check the box that
                      says do not prompt again (or something like that) and then click
                      on Replace the current Libraries will not be overwritten.

                      The current Libraries will be saved with the same Library name,
                      but the .B00 extension will be added to them. Some of you that
                      do not know that and have been around for a few upgrades will
                      notice a bunch of the B00 files in the Libraries folder. The
                      extension is incremented by one for every install you do whether
                      it is an upgrade or not (given you choose to replace the
                      Libraries): B00, B01, B02 and so on. I have a Clip to delete all
                      the .B00 backup files to make life easy for me. There are a
                      couple of the backup files in NoteTab's main folder and in
                      Templates.

                      You could probably do a file comparison with the Clip in the
                      Utilities Library to quickly find the lines that have changed
                      which in most cases, will be the changes you made to NoteTab's
                      Libraries.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                        Hi LaurieK,

                        >Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation.

                        You're welcome!-)

                        >...Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an
                        >old old old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP
                        >200LX Palmtop PC user might try and play around with???

                        I purposely tried to escape replying. ;) I do not believe there
                        was a DOS version ever unless if there was before v2 when I came
                        on board. Here is a bit from Help under History of NoteTab.

                        October 1995:
                        Introduction of the first version of NoteTab (called Mini
                        NoteTab) for Windows 3.x. It was one of the first text editors
                        (perhaps even the first) to use a tabbed layout instead of the
                        cumbersome MDI interface.

                        December 1996:
                        Favorites dialog box was introduced. This feature made it very
                        easy to find files and directories no matter where they are
                        located on the hard disk(s).

                        January 1997:
                        The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
                        and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0. Although this feature is
                        being increasingly copied, the original Clipbook remains the
                        uncontested leader in ease of use, power, and flexibility.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                          Hi Harvey & LaurieK,

                          >> I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in
                          >> the face and I did not notice until I went to install it.
                          >> Since I am running Note Tab Pro, I would assume it is a good
                          >> idea to disregard this pre-release?

                          >I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                          >NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.

                          You can run Pro and Std/Light from the same folder and use the
                          same support files (Libraries, Templates...). You can actually
                          run more than one copy of any of the versions in the same folder
                          by renaming the executable (NotePro.exe to Fun.exe). NoteTab
                          will make an INI file using the name of the EXE file (Fun.exe -
                          Fun.ini). Basically, that is why you can run Pro and Std together.

                          See the Comparison Chart in Help for the key differences between
                          the versions. I did not mention backing up NoteTab.exe (in the
                          Light flavor) because it is not big deal if you overwrite it w/o
                          a backup. If it messes up, no biggie, download as many free
                          copies as you want of Light. ;) Some people keep Light around
                          for when they need a few of the features that it has that Pro
                          does not like variable width fonts in the main edit window or
                          multiple tab stop settings. Light is Standard missing the Spell
                          checker, editing of Outlines, and whatever else you see in the
                          Comparison Chart.

                          http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

                        • David McIntosh
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                            hI
                            What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                            THANKYOU DAVE

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                              Dave McIntosh wrote:

                              > What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                              In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro, Std or
                              Light are 4.85

                              http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                              Laurie
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                Hi Laurie & Dave & All,

                                >> What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.
                                >
                                >In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro,
                                >Std or Light are 4.85
                                >
                                ><http://www.notetab.com/products.htm>http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                                That is the most current full release of Std. We are now testing
                                pre-release number one of Light which is for all practical
                                purposes (for testing) NoteTab Standard. You just cannot test
                                the features that are in Std that are not in Light. In short,
                                besides that, Light and Std are the same, so you could help out
                                and help yourself if you use Std (possibly finding a bug), by
                                running Light (pr1) for awhile.

                                <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

                              • Ray Shapp
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                  Hi Jody

                                  I see in my main NTPro folder and in the Libraries folder, about half a
                                  dozen file names that have B00, B01, B02, and B03 extensions. May I
                                  conclude from your recent message in this thread that I can safely remove
                                  them all? It does look like you said that, but I want to be *sure* before I
                                  do any wholesale deletions.

                                  I'm running NTPro v4.84 which has been upgraded several times. I'm waiting
                                  til v4.86 comes out to do my next upgrade. Win 98 on a 350 Pentium 350Mhz.

                                  Thanks for the continuing help,

                                  Ray Shapp
                                  Watchung, NJ
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                    Hi Ray,

                                    Yes, you can delete them all. The easiest way if you do not have
                                    a Clip built for it is to right click over a blank area in
                                    Windows Explorer where the files are listed and choose Sort by
                                    Extension. Click once on the first file while holding down the
                                    Shift key, and then click on the last of them. (Just hold your
                                    mouse over the file if you are using the single click option in
                                    Windows Explorer.) After selecting the range of backup files use
                                    the Delete feature to trash them. You need to do the Libraries,
                                    Templates, and main NoteTab folders.