Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
      From: "Eric G.V. Fookes" Subject: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I've just uploaded a pre-release copy of NoteTab Light 4.86. You can get
      it
      > from the following link (size 1,483 KB):
      >
      > http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

      Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install over the
      existing 4.85?
      Being pre-release you probably recommend loading in its own directory.

      On the topic of releases, I would like to ask a questions.

      I own an HP 200LX Palmtop PC (the best thing since sliced bread, I swear and
      the day they discontinued them November 1, 1999 I cried buckets of tears..
      they are still available on eBay and still command a heck of a price but
      they are the BEST little DOS 5.0 based handheld units EVER).

      Ok, anyway, on to my question... I was not around when NoteTab first hit the
      air waves so to speak and I am wondering if it is possible that you might
      have, in your old archives somewhere a small foot print of a Note Tab that
      might run on the 200LX. The one I have is a 2MB system, I store most things
      on a PCMCIA card and could install the program on there as well if necessary
      but I'm wondering if you have a version of NTP or NT which might run on this
      that I can experiement with. I sure would love the challenge.

      Since I learned about the Outline feature (2 weeks ago) I wonder how I lived
      life without it. All those little snippets of stuff that I have ALL OVER
      and I always keep all of my little mental note things and burn them on CD so
      that I don't lose them and then have no idea which CD and get tired of
      hunting... well the Outline has been my HERO (via you, Eric, of course). Is
      it possible there is an old old old old old version of NT laying around for
      dos without the graphical interface??? <begging and pleading> It would
      have to operated without using a lot of memory, with 2MB, programs loaded on
      the unit will use soem of that and if NT is installed on that unit, well,
      any ideas? :)

      Laurie
    • Bryan Guignard
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
        Laurie

        What a brilliant thought!! I have the same 200LX and would LOVE to be able to run NoteTab on it...even if I had to upgrade the RAM. The built in
        tools are great, but a DOS version of NoteTab would be even better. I'm eager to hear what Eric has to say.

        Bryan

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
          Hi LaurieK,

          >> <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

          >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
          >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend

          You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
          their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
          have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
          directory structure.

        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
            Jody wrote:

            > Hi LaurieK,
            >
            > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
            > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
            >
            > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
            > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
            > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
            > directory structure.
            >
            > Happy NoteTab'n,
            > Jody Adair

            Hi Laurie,

            I agree with Jody except, maybe he forgot to mention it, I always
            try to save the older executable (NotePro.exe) by saving a copy
            to another name before installing the new version. If the worst
            happens you can copy your old executable back to NotePro.exe, of
            course after saving the new executable to another name also.

            hrs
          • LaurieK
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
              Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation. With the apps
              I work with, its always best to remove and install new, that's why I asked.

              Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile, you know a
              lot... Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an old old
              old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
              might try and play around with???

              Thanks....

              Laurie
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                One thing I have learned the hard way ... when you update versions the
                standard libraries which come packed with notetab are overwritten (after
                prompting) and any custom clips you put in the "packed" libraries will be
                lost. So I now put a copy of such clips (for example I modify the unordered
                list clip in HTML library to default to the value of zero -- some others are
                truly custom built or more complex) into both the HTML library and another
                copy of it into a custom clip library. That way when I update I don't lose
                anything. It has no effect on libraries other than the ones which come
                packed with it.

                ---
                Don Passenger
                mailto:dpasseng@...
                personal: http://www.iserv.net/~dpasseng
                work: http://www.grcourt.org
                > >Do you recommend loading this on its own or is it safe to install
                > >over the existing 4.85? Being pre-release you probably recommend
                >
                > You can do either or both. Most people install directly over
                > their old version to save their settings and so that they do not
                > have to transfer a lot of their own files kept in their NoteTab
                > directory structure.
                >
                > Happy NoteTab'n,
                > Jody Adair
                >
                > The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                > http://www.notetab.net
                >
                > The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                > mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              • LaurieK
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                  I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
                  I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
                  Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?

                  Laurie
                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                    LaurieK wrote:

                    > Also, Harvey, you seem to have been with this group awhile
                    > ... do you know if there is an old old old old dos only version
                    > of Note Tab that a poorly HP 200LX Palmtop PC user
                    > might try and play around with???
                    >
                    > Thanks....
                    >
                    > Laurie

                    Laurie,

                    Jody or Eric will have to be the last word about a dos version.
                    I started using NoteTab when the version was (3.51 or 3.52), I
                    believe. The operating system of the masses was Windows 3.1.

                    My first copy was 'Super NoteTab' and I switched sometime later
                    to NoteTab Pro to take maximum advantage of the Clip language and
                    its potential. But then, procrastination set in. "Always put
                    off until tomorrow what you can do today"

                    I liked NoteTab because it was easy and did a lot more than
                    notepad but, I knew next to nothing about clipping until a few
                    months ago when joined a few of these lists.

                    Now I sort through the email and when I see an interesting (to
                    me) query about - can NoteTab do this - I try to see if it can.

                    hrs
                  • Harvey R. Savage
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                      LaurieK wrote:

                      > I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in the face and
                      > I did not notice until I went to install it. Since I am running Note Tab
                      > Pro, I would assume it is a good idea to disregard this pre-release?
                      >
                      > Laurie

                      Laurie,

                      I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                      NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.
                      NoteTab Light/regular leans just a little more toward word
                      processing, variable fonts etc.

                      The only thing you need worry about is if you altered any of the
                      standard NotePro clips they might be overwritten during the
                      install.

                      But, if you don't care about word processing tendencies and you
                      already have a word processor, delete Light.

                      hrs
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                        Hi Don and Others,

                        When the chance arises I always tell people not to edit NoteTab's
                        Libraries, but to make a copy of them if they want to add their
                        own Clips to it or edit the ones that are there. The reason is
                        so they do not get overwritten during upgrades. Most of the
                        time, the Libraries that come with NoteTab are not changed so one
                        can keep on using the copy that was modified. However...

                        Eric added a "safety" feature to the installation program dealing
                        with the Libraries so you can retrieve your work if you choose to
                        overwrite them during installation. If you check the box that
                        says do not prompt again (or something like that) and then click
                        on Replace the current Libraries will not be overwritten.

                        The current Libraries will be saved with the same Library name,
                        but the .B00 extension will be added to them. Some of you that
                        do not know that and have been around for a few upgrades will
                        notice a bunch of the B00 files in the Libraries folder. The
                        extension is incremented by one for every install you do whether
                        it is an upgrade or not (given you choose to replace the
                        Libraries): B00, B01, B02 and so on. I have a Clip to delete all
                        the .B00 backup files to make life easy for me. There are a
                        couple of the backup files in NoteTab's main folder and in
                        Templates.

                        You could probably do a file comparison with the Clip in the
                        Utilities Library to quickly find the lines that have changed
                        which in most cases, will be the changes you made to NoteTab's
                        Libraries.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                          Hi LaurieK,

                          >Thanks to both Harvey and Jody for the info on installation.

                          You're welcome!-)

                          >...Jody you did not respond either... do you know if there is an
                          >old old old old dos only version of Note Tab that a poorly HP
                          >200LX Palmtop PC user might try and play around with???

                          I purposely tried to escape replying. ;) I do not believe there
                          was a DOS version ever unless if there was before v2 when I came
                          on board. Here is a bit from Help under History of NoteTab.

                          October 1995:
                          Introduction of the first version of NoteTab (called Mini
                          NoteTab) for Windows 3.x. It was one of the first text editors
                          (perhaps even the first) to use a tabbed layout instead of the
                          cumbersome MDI interface.

                          December 1996:
                          Favorites dialog box was introduced. This feature made it very
                          easy to find files and directories no matter where they are
                          located on the hard disk(s).

                          January 1997:
                          The flexible and very popular "Editor Clipbook" tool was created
                          and integrated in NoteTab version 2.0. Although this feature is
                          being increasingly copied, the original Clipbook remains the
                          uncontested leader in ease of use, power, and flexibility.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 1, 2001
                            Hi Harvey & LaurieK,

                            >> I just realized this is for NoteTab Light, It is staring me in
                            >> the face and I did not notice until I went to install it.
                            >> Since I am running Note Tab Pro, I would assume it is a good
                            >> idea to disregard this pre-release?

                            >I'm pretty sure I've gathered from these groups you can run
                            >NoteTab Light, and I think, regular NoteTab in the same folder.

                            You can run Pro and Std/Light from the same folder and use the
                            same support files (Libraries, Templates...). You can actually
                            run more than one copy of any of the versions in the same folder
                            by renaming the executable (NotePro.exe to Fun.exe). NoteTab
                            will make an INI file using the name of the EXE file (Fun.exe -
                            Fun.ini). Basically, that is why you can run Pro and Std together.

                            See the Comparison Chart in Help for the key differences between
                            the versions. I did not mention backing up NoteTab.exe (in the
                            Light flavor) because it is not big deal if you overwrite it w/o
                            a backup. If it messes up, no biggie, download as many free
                            copies as you want of Light. ;) Some people keep Light around
                            for when they need a few of the features that it has that Pro
                            does not like variable width fonts in the main edit window or
                            multiple tab stop settings. Light is Standard missing the Spell
                            checker, editing of Outlines, and whatever else you see in the
                            Comparison Chart.

                            http://www.notetab.com/chart.htm

                          • David McIntosh
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                              hI
                              What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                              THANKYOU DAVE

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                Dave McIntosh wrote:

                                > What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.

                                In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro, Std or
                                Light are 4.85

                                http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                                Laurie
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                  Hi Laurie & Dave & All,

                                  >> What is the latest version of NOTETAB STD.
                                  >
                                  >In checking the website, all current versions of NT, either Pro,
                                  >Std or Light are 4.85
                                  >
                                  ><http://www.notetab.com/products.htm>http://www.notetab.com/products.htm

                                  That is the most current full release of Std. We are now testing
                                  pre-release number one of Light which is for all practical
                                  purposes (for testing) NoteTab Standard. You just cannot test
                                  the features that are in Std that are not in Light. In short,
                                  besides that, Light and Std are the same, so you could help out
                                  and help yourself if you use Std (possibly finding a bug), by
                                  running Light (pr1) for awhile.

                                  <http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe>http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

                                • Ray Shapp
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                    Hi Jody

                                    I see in my main NTPro folder and in the Libraries folder, about half a
                                    dozen file names that have B00, B01, B02, and B03 extensions. May I
                                    conclude from your recent message in this thread that I can safely remove
                                    them all? It does look like you said that, but I want to be *sure* before I
                                    do any wholesale deletions.

                                    I'm running NTPro v4.84 which has been upgraded several times. I'm waiting
                                    til v4.86 comes out to do my next upgrade. Win 98 on a 350 Pentium 350Mhz.

                                    Thanks for the continuing help,

                                    Ray Shapp
                                    Watchung, NJ
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 2, 2001
                                      Hi Ray,

                                      Yes, you can delete them all. The easiest way if you do not have
                                      a Clip built for it is to right click over a blank area in
                                      Windows Explorer where the files are listed and choose Sort by
                                      Extension. Click once on the first file while holding down the
                                      Shift key, and then click on the last of them. (Just hold your
                                      mouse over the file if you are using the single click option in
                                      Windows Explorer.) After selecting the range of backup files use
                                      the Delete feature to trash them. You need to do the Libraries,
                                      Templates, and main NoteTab folders.