Re: [NTB] RE: closing files that start automatically --- ideas not working!

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
      Diana writes:

      > The ideas mentioned earlier to solve my problem do not work. I've ALWAYS
      > closed the files before exiting; they open up again anyway. And so I
      tried
      > the View/Options/General and unchecked the "Reload Open Documents" ...
      they
      > still open up again anyway. I ALSO get an error message when I open the
      > program that says "Stream read error."
      >
      > I am using NoteTab Light 4.85.
      >
      > Diana Ratliff

      I am not the officienado here by any means but usually when there is a
      problem with any program such as you are describing, when there is a
      standard resolution and that resolution is not working on your computer, is
      to remove and reinstall the program.

      What operating system are you running on the desktop computer?

      I see a lot of folks state the fix to most sicknesses with Note Tab is go
      locate the program directory, if you installed it where its default location
      it, this would be C:\Program Files\Note Tab..... locate the notetab.ini
      file and delete it. When you reopen the program it will create a new one.
      The first thing you should do is close each of the documents that is open
      and then go uncheck the reload files option. Although I like that feature
      as I can always go back where I left off when I open Notetab the next time.

      For troubleshooting sake, you may want to just close any open documents,
      then go to File > Exit and close the program as one should, properly, not
      not just use the X ot close the program down. If that does not fix it,
      then go back and uncheck the reload documents option.

      If removing, reinstalling and troubleshooting does not correct the problem,
      then I'll let Jody or someone explain more. I personally would then check
      the registry and remove note tab entirely from the registry and then
      reinstall but I'm sure that 'they' can come up with something less evasive.

      Hope this helps... start out by making sure the program is not running, then
      delete the notetab.ini file... reopen it and try it. Next step... remove
      and reinstall, etc....

      Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. It appears the 'guys' are
      not up and at this yet and I wanted to get you some hints/tips ASAP... I
      know I like them ASAP when I'm feeling angst over a program :)

      Enjoy your weekend....
      Laurie
    • Harvey R. Savage
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
        Diana Ratliff wrote:

        And so I tried
        > the View/Options/General and unchecked the "Reload Open Documents" ... they
        > still open up again anyway. I ALSO get an error message when I open the
        > program that says "Stream read error."
        >
        > I am using NoteTab Light 4.85.
        >
        > Diana Ratliff

        Diana,

        Don't forget, Eric just posted an upgrade 4.86, for NoteTab
        Light. If you haven't already done so, you should download the
        latest version of NoteTab Light, link follows.

        This is the link; http://www.fookes.com/ftp/beta/ntl486pr1.exe

        I've built a simple list of trouble shooting procedures below. I
        hope the list is easy to follow and that I didn't miss anything,
        additions, comments, welcome.

        Trouble-Shooting procedure
        Apply these steps in order given, range from simple to slightly
        aggressive.

        • References to .ini indicate NoteTab.ini or NotePro.ini.
        • Always create a backup copy of the .ini file before proceeding.
        • You may have extensive settings you want to keep, if possible.
        • If you have NoteTab in the system tray, right click the icon
        and
        • choose Close Editor.

        1 Open .ini file in NoteTab.
        • Save As NoteTab.ini.bak or NotePro.ini.bak
        • Check all options under View > Options
        • If not resolved, next step.

        2 Open .ini file in NoteTab.
        • Save file as !NoteTab.ini or !NotePro.ini.
        • Quit NoteTab completely and restart.
        • Restart NoteTab. This will re-initialize the .ini file.
        • Check for problems.
        • If not resolved, next step.

        3 Close NoteTab completely.
        • Using Windows Explorer or other file manager.
        • Delete .ini file.
        • Restart NoteTab.
        • This builds a new .ini
        • Check for problems.
        • If not resolved, next step.

        4 Close NoteTab completely.
        • Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
        • Uninstall/Remove NoteTab
        • Reinstall, Use the latest version if possible.
        • Check for problems
        • ^!Call Jody

        hrs
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
          Diana Ratliff wrote:

          > and unchecked the "Reload Open Documents" ... they still open up again anyway.
          > I ALSO get an error message when I open the program that says "Stream read error."
          >
          > I am using NoteTab Light 4.85.
          >
          > Diana Ratliff

          Diana,

          I forgot to mention, Favorites, does NoteTab reload favorites if
          that option is selected. I thought if it were always the same
          files, they may be in your Favorites list and you may have - View
          > Options > General tab : Load Favorites on Startup - checked

          hrs