Jumping backward to Hyperlinks?

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2001
      If you have a Hyperlink in a text file that jumps to a word or phrase
      buried somewhere in the file, then is there a way to "undo" the jump,
      i.e., a way to jump back to the hyperlink?
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2001
        Hi Clueless in Seattle,

        Look in the Hyperlinks topic in the file Jim H. referred you to
        in NoteTab's main folder: ReadMe.otl. The idea is to link to
        wherever you link to and at that point put a link back to the
        place you just came from. When you use words in the topics it
        can get a bit tricky so that when you search back [^b] or forward
        you do not land on the same word (or phrase) in a different place
        than what you want. If you link from topic to topic it stays
        relatively easy. You can hyper-jump to certain line numbers too,
        so maybe a combination of things can get you in the ballpark.
        There are plenty of examples in the Outline.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
          Jody wrote:

          > Look in the Hyperlinks topic in the file Jim H. referred you to
          > in NoteTab's main folder: ReadMe.otl. The idea is to link to
          > wherever you link to and at that point put a link back to the
          > place you just came from. When you use words in the topics it
          > can get a bit tricky so that when you search back [^b] or forward
          > you do not land on the same word (or phrase) in a different place
          > than what you want. If you link from topic to topic it stays
          > relatively easy. You can hyper-jump to certain line numbers too,
          > so maybe a combination of things can get you in the ballpark.
          > There are plenty of examples in the Outline.

          Thanks Jody. The "ReadMe.otl" file helped a lot. But I ran into just
          the problem you mentioned. Here's what my hyperlink practice file
          looks like:

          Table of Contents
          [ Topic 1]
          [ Topic 2]
          [ Topic 3]

          Topic 1 [ Table of Contents^B]

          -- 2 or 3 paragraphs of text --

          Topic 2 [ Table of Contents^B]

          -- a few more paragraphs of text --

          Topic 3 [ Table of Contents^B]

          -- more paragraphs of text

          [ Table of Contents^B]

          As you can see, if I am in Topic 3, and click on the [Table of
          Contents^B] hyperlink, it will not take me back to the Table of
          Contents, but will instead just take me back to the [ Table of
          Contents^B] hyperlink for Topic 2.

          I'd like to avoid using line numbers in the links, because I'd like to
          use this hyperlink scheme in files that I'm actively working on, and
          so the line numbers will always be changing.

          Is there any way to "trick" the [Table of Contents^B] hyperlink into
          skipping over the intervening hyperlinks, and going directly back to
          "Table of Contents?" For example, is there a parameter to tell the
          hyperlink to ignore any instances of the search criterion it they are
          enclosed in brackets? Something like the Boolean "not?"
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2001
            Hi Clueless in Seattle,

            No, there is not away of telling NoteTab to skip "x" times of the
            link criteria so that it would skip over the same text used a
            number of times. You would have to use a special
            symbol/character in order to do so. In version 5 we will have a
            treeview for Outlines, so maybe then when Eric rebuilds he can
            consider doing what you want.