Re: [NTB] first instance disappearing - where to?

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2001
      johned@... wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > and new here with a question...
      >
      > Within the last few days the first instance (with the saved
      > docs on it) of NoteTab has been flashing onto the screen and
      > then quickly disappearing when first opening after a fresh
      > boot.
      >
      > I can open further instances and go to file/Reopen to see
      > what I had been working with but I'd like to get it to
      > perform like it always has up til now. Is there a general
      > default setting? Why would the first opening of the program
      > stop displaying itself in the desktop taskbar?
      >
      > I tried a search through the archives for this kind of
      > behavior but didn't have much luck.
      >
      > Advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > eljedicus

      eljedicus,

      I don't want to over simplify but the simple things we tend to
      overlook. Have you checked under the drop down menu - View >
      Icon in System Tray to see if it has become unchecked?

      hrs
    • johned@hemc.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2001
        --- In notetab@y..., "Harvey R. Savage" <hsavage@s...> wrote:
        > johned@h... wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello All,
        > >
        > > and new here with a question...
        > >
        > > Within the last few days the first instance (with the saved
        > > docs on it) of NoteTab has been flashing onto the screen and
        > > then quickly disappearing when first opening after a fresh
        > > boot.
        > >
        > > I can open further instances and go to file/Reopen to see
        > > what I had been working with but I'd like to get it to
        > > perform like it always has up til now. Is there a general
        > > default setting? Why would the first opening of the program
        > > stop displaying itself in the desktop taskbar?
        > >
        > > I tried a search through the archives for this kind of
        > > behavior but didn't have much luck.
        > >
        > > Advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > eljedicus
        > >

        > eljedicus,
        >
        > I don't want to over simplify but the simple things we tend to
        > overlook. Have you checked under the drop down menu - View >
        > Icon in System Tray to see if it has become unchecked?
        >
        > hrs

        Thanks for the reply Harvey.

        I actually *had* thought of that when it first began to occur.
        Still, after reading I went back in to check and see for sure.

        Had to check the second instance though because the first one went
        clean outta sight after a brief flash on the screen.

        I wonder if recent downloads like activeperl may be affecting the
        behavior? What do you think?

        eljedicus
      • Harvey R. Savage
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2001

          > Thanks for the reply Harvey.
          >
          > I actually *had* thought of that when it first began to occur.
          > Still, after reading I went back in to check and see for sure.
          >
          > Had to check the second instance though because the first one went
          > clean outta sight after a brief flash on the screen.
          >
          > I wonder if recent downloads like activeperl may be affecting the
          > behavior? What do you think?
          >
          > eljedicus

          eljedicus,

          Sorry, can't help with the activeperl. Jody usually recommends
          tinkering with the NTP ini file.

          First, load the file into NoteTab and save it as !Notepro.ini.
          Then close NoteTab down completely and restart it. The
          exclamation point in front of the filename causes NoteTab to
          reload it upon starting.

          If that doesn't help the situation you may have to close NTP down
          completely, rename Notepro.ini to Notepro.ini.bak, or anything
          you want. Take care not to delete the ini just yet.

          Restart NTP and let it build a new ini file, make the necessary
          selections to see if that cures your problem. If it does, you
          might try renaming the bak file to !Notepro.ini again, shut NTP
          down and restart so NTP reloads your original ini.

          If it takes a new ini file to fix the problem, and you, like me,
          hate to give up all your previous settings you could load the old
          and new into NTP and start copying and pasting, and testing, at
          various stages, in case something in the old ini file caused the
          original problem.

          I'm sure I've read Jody make most of these suggestions before.

          Good Luck,

          hrs
        • johned@hemc.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2001
            --- In notetab@y..., "Harvey R. Savage" <hsavage@s...> wrote:

            > > Thanks for the reply Harvey.
            > >
            > > I actually *had* thought of that when it first began to occur.
            > > Still, after reading I went back in to check and see for sure.
            > >
            > > Had to check the second instance though because the first one went
            > > clean outta sight after a brief flash on the screen.
            > >
            > > I wonder if recent downloads like activeperl may be affecting the
            > > behavior? What do you think?
            > >
            > > eljedicus
            > >

            > eljedicus,
            >
            > Sorry, can't help with the activeperl. Jody usually recommends
            > tinkering with the NTP ini file.
            >
            > First, load the file into NoteTab and save it as !Notepro.ini.
            > Then close NoteTab down completely and restart it. The
            > exclamation point in front of the filename causes NoteTab to
            > reload it upon starting.
            >
            > If that doesn't help the situation you may have to close NTP down
            > completely, rename Notepro.ini to Notepro.ini.bak, or anything
            > you want. Take care not to delete the ini just yet.
            >
            > Restart NTP and let it build a new ini file, make the necessary
            > selections to see if that cures your problem. If it does, you
            > might try renaming the bak file to !Notepro.ini again, shut NTP
            > down and restart so NTP reloads your original ini.
            >
            > If it takes a new ini file to fix the problem, and you, like me,
            > hate to give up all your previous settings you could load the old
            > and new into NTP and start copying and pasting, and testing, at
            > various stages, in case something in the old ini file caused the
            > original problem.
            >
            > I'm sure I've read Jody make most of these suggestions before.
            >
            > Good Luck,
            >
            > hrs

            Even though I didn't understand initially what you meant about
            tinkering with the .ini file Harvey, I do now. I even tried re-
            naming it and then closing and opening NTP. That was this morning
            and I was in a bit of rush to get going.

            During the day, I remembered that I had downloaded an upgrade to the
            program but had not run it. The reason I didn't run it was because
            the version number on the upgrade was the same as the one on the copy
            I've got. Couldn't see the point. Why upgrade from the same version
            *to* the same version and all that don't you know?

            Anyway, I decided to run it to see if that would correct the
            disappearing action. It did! While the setup was configuring
            itself, I just answered yes at every question about replacing an
            existing file.

            I won't know for a while if it's a permanent fix but it's working now
            so I'm not complaining.

            Last item.

            The "disappearing" action came on kind of gradually. Not every
            single time but on occasion, NTP would open and then quickly
            disappear, only to re-open again if I brought another program up.
            Then it would behave normally for a good while.

            The "total disappearance" was a very recent development. The biggest
            problem was the unavailability of recent work I had saved even though
            I could open any of the work again in the second, third, fourth etc.
            instances. The secondary instances wouldn't 'retain' the files I had
            been working with though and *that* was the frustrating part. Of
            course, you already know all that.

            I thank you again for the assistance Harvey and hope to be speaking
            to you again sometime soon.

            eljedicus
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 30, 2001
              johned@... wrote:

              > I won't know for a while if it's a permanent fix but it's working now
              > so I'm not complaining.
              >
              > Last item.
              >
              > The "disappearing" action came on kind of gradually. Not every
              > single time but on occasion, NTP would open and then quickly
              > disappear, only to re-open again if I brought another program up.
              > Then it would behave normally for a good while.
              >
              > The "total disappearance" was a very recent development. The biggest
              > problem was the unavailability of recent work I had saved even though
              > I could open any of the work again in the second, third, fourth etc.
              > instances. The secondary instances wouldn't 'retain' the files I had
              > been working with though and *that* was the frustrating part. Of
              > course, you already know all that.
              >
              > I thank you again for the assistance Harvey and hope to be speaking
              > to you again sometime soon.
              >
              > eljedicus

              eljedicus.

              Glad to hear it's working. This seems like an opportune time,
              while everything's working, to back up the ini file.

              hrs
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
                Harvey and John:
                FWIW: I had been running separate instances of Notetab (one using the "normal" notepro.ini file and another using a different .ini file with the command-line parameter /INST=)

                Both had the "allow separate instances" option unset. I tried to set them both to minimize to system-tray. I frequently (but not "reproducibly") found the "normal" notetab doing what Harvey described or somehow losing track of how the "icon in system tray" was set. IE: the option "appeared" to be set in the options box but closing with upper-right [x] actually shut it down.

                The only workaround I found was to restart notetab, clear one or both of "icon in SysTray" and "close to SysTray", click [ok] to options, then reopen options, reset both options and again click [ok] to options. (I think the important one is the "icon in SysTray" on the view tab)

                I'm MORALLY convinced there is some bug when more than instance of Notetab is in use.

                I finally gave up and decided to run them both as normal taskbar tasks with different icons.

                John: I'll bet your problem comes back if you use multiple instances;=)

                Regards ... Alec