Italics in NTP (sort of)

  • Clueless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25 7:38 PM
      I think I've found a way to insert italics into NTP text files.

      I use three different programs for writing:

      1. VDE: A DOS text editor which I use for most all of my writing

      2. Word 97: Which I use to format files for printing on a laser
      printer

      3. NTP: Which I find myself using more and more, instead of VDE, but
      the lack of a way to italicize text has been the major factor preventing
      me from making it my primary "typewriter."

      The Word 97 command for italicizing text is Ctrl-I. I just used a
      keyboard macro program to make Ctrl-I insert the italics marker (^P^Y)
      in VDE vde files. So now I've got two out of my main three programs
      using the same command to mark italics. Now all I have to do is figure
      out a way to use the Ctrl-I command in NTP and I'm home free.

      A Windows macro program should do the trick, i.e., reprogram the Ctrl-I
      key combination so it will place an italics marker in the text of NTP
      files. From testing it out, the default NTP Ctrl-I command selects a
      paragraph. A handy command, but I could make a clip to do that couldn't
      I?

      That leaves open the question of what to use as a marker. I think HTML
      is out because it uses two different markers, one to begin italics <i>
      and another to end italics </i>. At least I think that's how it works.
      And unless I can find a macro program that can alternate between <i> and
      </i> each time I type Ctrl-I, then I'm going to have to go with a single
      marker.

      The marker in VDE is ^P^Y but that won't work in NTP because it doesn't
      have a command interpreter...wait a minute! Yes it does! It is able to
      read and interpret clips embedded into text; isn't it? But I think the
      clip commands have to be at the very beginning of a line, don't they?
      Are there any circumstances underwhich the clip interpreter will read a
      clip command in the middle of a line?

      That would be so cool! Is there a way I could embed a clip that would
      issue the italics command to my printer?

      My hunch is no. But even so, with a marker in the text, all I'd have
      to do is open in VDE the text file I created with NTP and do a search
      and replace and Voila! Italics! And I could also write a little basic
      program that would replace every other <i> with a </i> and then the
      italics would display in my browser. Jubilation T. Cornpone!!! I think
      I've got it!

      Oh! Wait a minute. If I use a Windows macro program. It may change
      the Ctrl-I combination for EVERY program, not just in NTP :(

      Oh Well, back to the drawing board.....