Re: [NTB] Replace MS Notepad from command line?

  • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 10, 2001
      Hello,

      As I read your post you launch the text-viewer from your Backup-
      application. I don't know whether the ini trick helps then, but
      another suggestion would be to set up another application (NoteTab
      Light could be it) as the default texteditor/viewer. (It is just a
      thought...) When your document is opened in Light you can launch that
      file in NoteTab Pro/Standard by hitting CTRL+T. You first have to
      give in the path to the launchable application in the Tools-section
      of Options.

      Hugo Paulissen

      --- In notetab@y..., Don Daugherty <daugherty@e...> wrote:
      > At 01:38 PM 8/8/2001, you wrote:
      >
      > >That would be very handy for me, because I keep a lot of files
      open in
      > >NoteTab, and so it takes a L-O-N-G time to load.
      > If the loading time for NoteTab without the loading of open files
      is
      > acceptable, you can keep NoteTab as the Notepad replacement (and
      thus keep
      > all NoteTab's power) by adapting a trick Jody gave back in October
      2000 for
      > multiple users.
      >
      > 1. Make a copy of NotePro.ini with a new name, say, "Custom.ini",
      in the
      > same directory with NotePro.exe and NotePro.ini, the default ini
      > file. (This assumes you're using NoteTab Pro - adapt appropriately
      for
      > other versions.)
      > 2. Open NoteTab and go to View, Options, General, uncheck "Load
      Favorites
      > on Startup", and click OK. Then close NoteTab.
      > 3. In the shortcut you normally use to start NoteTab change the
      target so
      > NoteTab uses Custom.ini rather than NotePro.ini by changing the
      target
      > string containing "...\NotePro.exe" so that it reads
      > "...\NotePro.exe" /ini="...\Custom" , where ... represents the path
      > NotePro.exe.
      >
      > I hope this helps.
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 12, 2001
        A slight refinement to what's been suggested in previous posts. (It may be implicit in what was said but ... just in case ...)(Jim Hall and Jody clarified my understanding in earlier threads so I'm not positive how much of this is theirs and how much if any is mine ;==)

        Eric creates the file "notepad.ini" in C:\Windows. At first I thought this file was a Windows file. but if you go to it you'll see something like the following (if not change it to be like this):

        [Application]
        ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS /INI=ntbSimple /INST=ntbSimpleID

        <<
        Start out by copying your standard (or current) notetab.ini to ntbSimple.ini; Now whenever Windows Notepad is invoked, Eric's stub notepad will get invoked, but use this different .ini file. You can go into it and strip out all the files you "usually" have opened by NoteTab, change its icon so it's distinct from your "main" NoteTab, reduce the number of buttons on the tool-bar, change where it opens-or-saves by default, etc., etc., etc.

        I have mine set to minimize to the sysTray, with no auto-opened files.

        If you set up a shortcut with the "Target" having same contents as the "ExeName" above and change it's icon to match it's easy to keep them straight. If you wish, this shortcut can be put in your Startup folder but its not necessary since it will get fired up the first time you double-click on a text-file in Explorer.

        Note: I used to use this, to have a permanently available Pasteboard but have found that the program ClipCache Plus is superior to Notetabs pasteboard function.

        Regards ... Alec
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 14, 2001
          Hi Alec,

          >Eric creates the file "notepad.ini" in C:\Windows. At first I
          >thought this file was a Windows file. but if you go to it you'll
          >see something like the following (if not change it to be like this):
          >>>
          >[Application]
          >ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS /INI=ntbSimple /INST=ntbSimpleID

          Perhaps that is something specific to your OS (which I forget),
          but you may have built the shortcut and forgot about it.

          In Win95/98/NT (and I think ME) when "Replace MS Notepad" is
          clicked on Notepad.exe found in C:\Windows\ is renamed to
          C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE.MS C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE. It's (the
          replacement Notepad.exe - stub) Properties says v1.0 and "Dummy
          Notepad program". <g> The stub is a binary file that forces the
          files that would normally be open in Notepad to be open in
          NoteTab with or without being associated with NoteTab.

          >Start out by copying your standard (or current) notetab.ini to
          >ntbSimple.ini; Now whenever Windows Notepad is invoked, Eric's
          >stub notepad will get invoked, but use this different .ini file.
          >You can go into it and strip out all the files you "usually" have
          >opened by NoteTab, change its icon so it's distinct from your
          >"main" NoteTab, reduce the number of buttons on the tool-bar,
          >change where it opens-or-saves by default, etc., etc., etc.

          You lost me there. :-) It might have something to do with a
          shortcut you have.

          >I have mine set to minimize to the sysTray, with no auto-opened files.

          That tells me you are using a shortcut with the ini file to do
          what you are saying it does.

          >If you set up a shortcut with the "Target" having same contents
          >as the "ExeName" above and change it's icon to match it's easy to
          >keep them straight. If you wish, this shortcut can be put in your
          >Startup folder but its not necessary since it will get fired up
          >the first time you double-click on a text-file in Explorer.

          Perhaps you clicked on Replace MS Notepad when you had the leaner
          ini file used w/o files opening, etc.

          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 15, 2001
            Hi Jody
            >Perhaps that is something specific to your OS (which I forget),but you may
            have built the shortcut and forgot about it.< I have Win98

            Before touching C:\Windows\notetab.ini I had set the [Help] option to make
            Notetab replace Notepad.

            I wasn't happy, that whenever I wanted to do a "simple" Edit the file I
            clicked on came up in my "normal" NoteTab which has all my "regular" files
            auto-opened, so I followed the directions (regarding Command Line in Help)
            and created a special shortcut with the properties I described below. When
            I wanted to do a "simple" edit, I would invoke the special short-cut and
            then either drag-and-drop the target-file into it, or browse to it from the
            open dialogue.

            The only problem I had was that clicking (opening) a text file opened it in
            my "regular" notetab not my "special" notetab.

            Then while browsing with Explorer in Windows\... I found the file
            C:\Windows\notetab.ini and when I peeked inside I found this:
            {-->
            [Application]
            ExeName="C:\PROGRAM FILES\NOTETABS\NOTETAB PRO\NOTEPRO.EXE"
            <--}
            I guessed that by copying the "Target" from my ntbSimple shortcut in to
            replace the current (original) contents on C:\Window\notetab.ini it might
            cause my simpleNtb to be invoked as a replacement for msNotePad instead of
            my "normal" Notetab.

            IT WORKED!

            >>That tells me you are using a shortcut with the ini file to do what you
            are saying it does.
            << Yes, exactly

            >>Perhaps you clicked on Replace MS Notepad when you had the leaner ini file
            used w/o files opening, etc.
            << NO. I just rechecked this. It doesn't matter what shortcut you've used to
            invoke NoteTab originally, my "normal" or my "simple" the same thing gets
            put into C:\Windows\notetab.ini. You have to DELIBERATELY replace its
            contents to reference your special "simple" ntbSimple.ini

            The point is: I can have NoteTab configured in two (or more) separate and
            distinct fashions as controlled by the INI reference in the Shortcut's
            "Target". (This everybody knows;=).

            What I apparently did not make clear in my preceeding message is that: I can
            CHOOSE which INI file gets invoked: ONLY by manually editing
            C:Window\notetab.ini AFTER its been created (by selecting "replace
            msNotepad" in [Help]).

            I think this is a very useful undocumented feature.

            Regards ... Alec

              >Before touching C:\Windows\notetab.ini I had set the [Help]
              >option to make Notetab replace Notepad.

              I think what has been confusing me is that you are making the
              shortcut point to an ini file you made in another folder than
              NoteTab's main folder and the entry you had in your ini file
              below in the Application section. (I hope we are both on the
              same tune now.;)

              >The only problem I had was that clicking (opening) a text file
              >opened it in my "regular" notetab not my "special" notetab.
              >
              >Then while browsing with Explorer in Windows\... I found the file
              >C:\Windows\notetab.ini and when I peeked inside I found this:
              >{-->
              >[Application]
              >ExeName="C:\PROGRAM FILES\NOTETABS\NOTETAB PRO\NOTEPRO.EXE"

              "ExeName": The only thing I can figure it to be is an OS' thing.
              In Win98 the Application section looks something like the
              following depending on what has been executed previously and how
              many versions one has been using the same ini file. (Mine is a
              couple years old - could probably stand to create a new one. ;)
              I've tried to make it say "ExeName" but could not.

              [Application]
              MainDirectory=
              UseRegistry=0
              IniFileName=
              Version=4850

              This appears to be the default on install:

              [Application]
              MainDirectory=
              Version=4850
              UseRegistry=0

              >The point is: I can have NoteTab configured in two (or more)
              >separate and distinct fashions as controlled by the INI reference
              >in the Shortcut's "Target". (This everybody knows;=).

              Yes, but it has to be outside NoteTab's path in order to do that.
              You can also use Multiple Instances, but then you may not want
              that all the time. ;) (You do not need to have Replace MS
              Notepad executed to do what you are doing, only that .txt files
              are associated with NoteTab.)

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 16, 2001
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 17, 2001
                  Hi Alec,

                  Hopefully we will be down this thread soon. ;)

                  >> Yes, but it has to be outside NoteTab's path in order to do
                  >> that.
                  >NOT TRUE: Both my .ini files are in my main NOTETAB folder.

                  I never have had NotePro open a second copy or instance when
                  putting an unqualified path in such as:

                  "E:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /ini=alt

                  >(I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here.) As I understand
                  >it, any reference to an.ini file that is not fully qualified will
                  >be assumed to be one in the "main" Notetab folder (ie. the one
                  >that contains the executable that is being invoked)

                  True. Can you send us the 1 or 2 shortcuts you have if they are
                  different than above please? I've tried it with and without the
                  .ini. The only thing I have not tried is putting the full path in
                  even though they are in NoteTab's main folder.

                  ><jody>(You do not need to have Replace MS Notepad
                  ><jody> executed to do what you are doing, only that .txt files
                  ><jody>are associated with NoteTab.)
                  >I've left .txt .ini .bat files (etc.) associated with MS-Notepad
                  >(as either their default OPEN or secondary EDIT Action).

                  Well then, you need to use Replace MS Notepad. ;)

                  (I'll send you an attachment of a _Real_ Notepad replacement. I
                  think saying NoteTab is that is a cut down on the program, but it
                  need$ to be $aid I suppose. ;)

                  I have all my text based file associated with NotePro and a Clip
                  that will set all the icons to the way I want them with mostly
                  home made ones. The Clips also associates the text files with
                  NoteTab so when some programmer "steals" the association from me
                  it is a couple clicks and it is changed back. I got tired of
                  cleaning up after them.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 18, 2001
                    Hi Jody

                    ==========
                    >> Yes, but it has to be outside NoteTab's path in order to do
                    >> that.
                    >NOT TRUE: Both my .ini files are in my main NOTETAB folder.

                    I never have had NotePro open a second copy or instance when
                    putting an unqualified path in such as:

                    "E:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /ini=alt

                    >(I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here.) As I understand
                    >it, any reference to an.ini file that is not fully qualified will
                    >be assumed to be one in the "main" Notetab folder (ie. the one
                    >that contains the executable that is being invoked)

                    True. Can you send us the 1 or 2 shortcuts you have if they are
                    different than above please? I've tried it with and without the
                    .ini. The only thing I have not tried is putting the full path in
                    even though they are in NoteTab's main folder.
                    ===========
                    Main shortcut: named "NoteTab Pro" and I've left its icon as the Swiss Flag
                    --Target:"C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
                    --StartIn:"C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro"

                    Simple Shortcut: named "ntbSimple" and using the "pasteboard" icon so I can
                    tell them apart.
                    --Target:"C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS "C:\My
                    Documents\ntbPasteBoards\thePasteBoard" /J=-1 /INI=ntbSimple
                    /INST=ntbSimpleID

                    Contents of C:\Windows\notepad.ini:
                    [Application]
                    ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS "C:\My
                    Documents\ntbPasteBoards\thePasteBoard" /J=-1 /INI=ntbSimple
                    /INST=ntbSimpleID

                    The file reference to "thePasteboard" is just a scratch-file I used to use
                    for the NoteTab pasteboard function. (I now use ClipCachePlus; it and
                    Notetab make an unbeatable combination!). It also has the side effect of
                    forcing the open-save defaults to a folder where I've put short-cuts to the
                    three or four folders I "normally" want to put new files if created within
                    Notetab as opposed to opening pre-existing files by double clicking them.

                    The /INST command-line parameter in both the shortcut and the notePAD.ini
                    ExeName= clause is what makes this work so well for me as a notePAD
                    replacement. Any files I click-open during a particular session all get
                    opened in the same window; but after re-boot or if I explicitly close it
                    (from the systray context menu) they don't keep coming back to get in my
                    way.

                    >>(I'll send you an attachment of a _Real_ Notepad replacement. I think
                    saying NoteTab is that is a cut down on the program, but it need$ to be $aid
                    I suppose. ;) <<

                    Please do I'll be interested to see it.

                    >>I have all my text based file associated with NotePro and a Clip that will
                    set all the icons to the way I want them with mostly home made ones. The
                    Clips also associates the text files with NoteTab so when some programmer
                    "steals" the association from me it is a couple clicks and it is changed
                    back. I got tired of cleaning up after them.<<

                    That's why my answer in an earlier thread about changes required to switch
                    from NoteTab Lite (or standard) to NoteTab Pro was off the mark. I don't
                    have ANY files associated with NoteTab of any flavor. They all get picked up
                    via the "replace MS Notepad" feature and opened by my ntbSimple.To change to
                    a new version of NoteTab (or back to an old one), I change the
                    C:\Windows\notepad.ini "EXE=" clause and I'm done!

                    Regards ... Alec
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 20, 2001
                      Hi Alec,

                      >Main shortcut: named "NoteTab Pro" and I've left its icon as the
                      >Swiss Flag
                      >--Target:"C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
                      >--StartIn:"C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro"
                      >
                      >Simple Shortcut: named "ntbSimple" and using the "pasteboard"
                      >icon so I can tell them apart.
                      >Target:"C:\Program Files\NoteTabs\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe" /NS
                      >"C:\My
                      >Documents\ntbPasteBoards\thePasteBoard" /J=-1 /INI=ntbSimple
                      >/INST=ntbSimpleID

                      Maybe it is only when there is only one command-line argument in
                      the shortcut being the /ini= one that does not open a second
                      instance of NotePro. Be my guest to test it. ;)

                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 21, 2001
                        Hi Jody
                        >Maybe it is only when there is only one command-line argument in the
                        shortcut being >the /ini= one that does not open a second instance of
                        NotePro. Be my guest to test it. ;)

                        I'm not quite sure what you thought I'd want to test - it's working EXACTLY
                        as I want it to. Are you saying you can't reproduce the behavior I get, or
                        that you don't understand what behavior I'm reporting?

                        The clause "/INST=ntbSimpleID" whether in the shortcut <target> or in the
                        notepad.ini (NOT noteTAB ;=) EXENAME= clause is the one that causes the
                        behavior I wanted.

                        Jody - I'm not sure whether we're discussing "how many angels can fit on the
                        head of a pin" or whether there is something I think is so obvious I haven't
                        said it; and something else you also think is so obvious you haven't said
                        it.

                        If anyone else is following this discussion - please feel free to jump in
                        and put us both out of our misery!

                        BTW: thanks for sending me "Metapad" attachment off-list. I thought you
                        might be interested to know that the Metapad v 1.42 you sent me has been
                        updated to v 3.0 (it's now at this URL:
                        http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/ ) and includes a toolbar etc. I used
                        the registry tweak the author provides to put it on the rClick context menu
                        for ALL files and then set up a link to my ntbSimple as its primary viewer
                        and used "Metapath" (at http://www.mountpoint.ch/flo/ ) as its secondary
                        viewer. The Win9x large-size file restriction has also been removed when not
                        using it's 'LE' version.

                        Also: Anyone who's been struggling with the "replace MS Notepad issue in
                        Win2K and/or WinXP might want to check out the Metapad-FAQ on this topic -
                        it looks like its probably relevant to how to do it for NoteTab as well -
                        I'm still back in the dark-ages with Win98 so at present its of academic
                        interest only.

                        Regards ... Alec

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 21, 2001
                          Hi Alec,

                          >> Maybe it is only when there is only one command-line argument
                          >> in the shortcut being the /ini= one that does not open a second
                          >> instance of NotePro. Be my guest to test it. ;)
                          >
                          >I'm not quite sure what you thought I'd want to test - it's
                          >working EXACTLY as I want it to. Are you saying you can't
                          >reproduce the behavior I get, or that you don't understand what
                          >behavior I'm reporting?

                          All I am saying is if NotePro is open using its own NotePro.ini and
                          I click on a shortcut with /ini=anything that a second instance
                          does not open.

                          OK, make a liar out of me. I must have tried that 100 times in
                          the past and could not ever get a second instance of NoteTab if
                          the ini files were in its main folder. I do not think I am going
                          mad either. We are now on the same tune. ;)

                          >BTW: thanks for sending me "Metapad" attachment off-list.

                          You're welcome!-) I did not send the link on the list in fear of
                          a discussion on Metapad starting. Plus, someday it might become
                          competition. ;) No need to reply to this section, less we get way
                          off topic. TIA