Line length and auto-indent

  • paulob@myrealbox.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2001
      Greetings,

      I'm trying to edit a text file in NTL, to hard-wrap all lines to
      about 80 characters. But I'm running into a strange problem. I have
      some lines that look like this:

      Adress(...) works on - like the following two functions - the Mail
      address in the From or Reply-To header. Adress tries to
      extract only the actual address, so "Hans Hirni <abc@...>"

      Hopefully all that will be on only three lines, but I doubt it (I
      would have posted with Agent, which can suppress linefeeds, but SMTP
      is down here). The two last lines are tab-indented to be in line with
      the "works" of the first line.

      The problem is that NTL's status bar reports the first line as 75
      characters long, the second as 62, and the third as 68. My guess is
      that the tabs and the auto-indent leading white space are not being
      reckoned. With several different indentation levels, editing the file
      for overall line length has become very tedious - as I can't trust
      what the status bar tells me, and the horizontal scroll bar is all
      over the place, making it hard to judge a line's true length.

      I'm using a fixed-width font, so that's not a factor. And I've
      also tried the global Wrap to Column setting, but it doesn't seem
      to help the situation, as long lines did not wrap upon file/save
      (and I did close/reopen NTL after changing the setting and before
      making that test).

      Hope this message isn't a mess. I've not checked Wrap Text to try to
      hold those lines together.

      Thanks,
      Paul
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2001
        Hi Paul,

        I can only suggest that you try out NoteTab Pro and use "Fixed"
        for the type of tab (or learn NoteTab's scripting code to make a
        Clip to do the conversion). When you use a tab the length of it
        will be whatever you have your tab setting at, but spaces will be
        inserted instead of a real tab. You post came to me OK once I
        stretched my window larger. Also, your tabs came through as
        spaces, so the length of the lines were correct counting each
        space as a character. Tabs in Light are considered one character.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • paulob@myrealbox.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
          > I can only suggest that you try out NoteTab Pro and use "Fixed"
          > for the type of tab (or learn NoteTab's scripting code to make a
          > Clip to do the conversion). When you use a tab the length of it
          > will be whatever you have your tab setting at, but spaces will be
          > inserted instead of a real tab. You post came to me OK once I
          > stretched my window larger. Also, your tabs came through as
          > spaces, so the length of the lines were correct counting each
          > space as a character. Tabs in Light are considered one character.

          I guess then that that is the problem, and that auto-indent also
          uses tabs. For my post I manually used spaces, to make sure things
          lined up. But the actual lines mostly have tabs, and therein lies
          the problem.

          I've also noticed that MS Word does about the same thing. Not much
          surprise there though..

          Thanks for your input. :)

          Paul Batchie
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2001
            Hi Paul,

            >> I can only suggest that you try out NoteTab Pro and use "Fixed"
            >> for the type of tab (or learn NoteTab's scripting code to make
            >> a Clip to do the conversion).

            >I guess then that that is the problem, and that auto-indent also
            >uses tabs. For my post I manually used spaces, to make sure
            >things lined up. But the actual lines mostly have tabs, and
            >therein lies the problem.

            I suppose $19.95 is "the fix" unless you learn the scripting code
            and make a Clip to convert the tabs to spaces. ;)

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab